The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stalker -Post Second Dream- Voice

Vaxillian

3 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

His voice as it stands now is a whispered voice, echoed, distorted, and added sound effects. I cant see what difference they could possibly add to "improve" it.

Listen to it again the only distortion (if a distortion at all) is the very small echo which I referred to as the cupped hand sound, which is where my opinion lies. I think it sounds bad and because I think it sounds bad I think it should be changed because I think that for something to sound like someone is whispering in their hands right next to you is bad design.

If that makes any sense.

2 minutes ago, Vaxillian said:

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong.

I called this voice bad, which is my opinion. I said a bad voice is poor design, which is a fact. So I have a subjective perspective (the voice) which moves over to an objective perspective (poor design).

This means I have a opinion which is open to interpretation, some think it's bad others may think it's good. But whether it's good or bad leaves the area of fact and not opinion which is whether it should be changed. Sounds like the point of feedback to me.

a singular opinion that you're the only voice of, and is not in any way reflected by the community as a whole, thus still making it entirely subjective. which means, again, since YOU feel it's a bad design choice, doesn't MAKE it a bad design choice.

Just now, ObviousLee said:

a singular opinion that you're the only voice of, and is not in any way reflected by the community as a whole, thus still making it entirely subjective. which means, again, since YOU feel it's a bad design choice, doesn't MAKE it a bad design choice.

Which is exactly why I posted this... to see if others think the some way.

The very point of feedback, is it not?

Just now, Vaxillian said:

Which is exactly why I posted this... to see if others think the some way.

The very point of feedback, is it not?

on that, I will agree. However, thus far nobody is sharing in your opinion, and again, declaring an opinion as fact honestly degrades your stance in its entirety.

SO, in regards to that, can you provide any example of what you would prefer his voice to emulate?

7 minutes ago, ObviousLee said:

on that, I will agree. However, thus far nobody is sharing in your opinion, and again, declaring an opinion as fact honestly degrades your stance in its entirety.

SO, in regards to that, can you provide any example of what you would prefer his voice to emulate?

Well, I think it's fairly safe to say that at least two people shared the same opinion as me seeing the upvotes, haha.

I would gladly love to share some exmaples of what his voice could sound like. I was thinking something between Roadhog and Reaper from Overwatch and some added echo for distance and darkness. I especially love Hunhow's voice.

Edited by Vaxillian

While I can understand that you dislike the voice, Stalker has sounded like that for a while and its not really bad design if it meshes with world building. Mechanically, the voice and his distorted 'death' whispers are not malformed and work perfectly well without error so I doubt that that is bad design either. If we are talking about Stalker talking at all versus our warframes not seeming to talk, It stands to reason that our voices might do the same with npcs, unless they interpret sign language; as it is, I am sure it will come up when more of Stalker's backstory comes up.

The issue is there may be a reason as to why it doesn't sound like Hunhow's voice, such as the golems lacking the ability to produce clear sounding words. They lack a significant amount of body parts that normal humans do, alongside being silent when it comes with communicating with others. That may play a role with why DE decided to go the rout they did. Hunhow is distorted to have a machine-like sound because Sentients are inorganic machines, it matches what he is by design.

Edited by NeithanDiniem

I agree that Stalker's voice could use a touch up. You can compare Stalker with his Acolyte, Misery, for a better example of the difference.

Stalker:

I... have failed... this one will remain... unpunished...

Misery:

We serve the Shadow, the Stalker, the truth.

You can definitely hear the difference. Stalker could use more echo and more faint whispers playing along with his speech.