Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Install question

Educated_Beast

Question

So my son's computer recently crashed (Win 10) and went through the whole reformatting fun.  Before I reinstall Warframe, I want to know if there is a way to install globally for all users. 

Previously, I installed from my account on his computer (as administrator).  The only way he could play was for me to log into my account (on his machine) and then launch Warframe.  From there, anyone can log into any account.  I’d like for him to have the ability to launch Warframe from his account.  

Is this possible? 

3 answers to this question

Yes.  You would have that option if you used the Client.  You can get that version from the main warframe.com site.  Just choose install for all users when you're doing the install.

Direct link for download:

https://warframe.com/download

Correction.  Just double checked and found the installer doesn't give that option.  Another option is to create a Warframe folder on the C: drive and then create a new shortcut for the game on both of your Desktops. 

Edited by DatDarkOne
correction with updated info

You should be able to install the game in the shared/public folder specifically at C:/Users/Public, then all users should be able to go there and create a shortcut to the desktop to access it. Or go to the file and setup file sharing permissions for it: http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-set-up-file-sharing-on-windows-10 (Go to Share a file or folder on your network)

Edited by TheDukeOfRagists

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:38 PM, TheDukeOfRagists said:

You should be able to install the game in the shared/public folder specifically at C:/Users/Public, then all users should be able to go there and create a shortcut to the desktop to access it. Or go to the file and setup file sharing permissions for it: http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-set-up-file-sharing-on-windows-10 (Go to Share a file or folder on your network)

Well, I installed on the C:/Users/Public folder and I can open the game fine from my account, but when I try to open the shortcut from his account, it starts the download again and wants to install the entire game twice. 

Unfortunately, I'm not certain what files I need to share in order for my son to open the game on the same computer.  Warframe seems to install folders all over the place (App Data, Program Files, etc.).  This inconvenience keeps us from playing this game together; which means we just play other games. 

Seriously DE, why the complicated install?  I shouldn't need the entire game on each Windows account...