The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Elemental Death Animations Vs Gun Death Animations

lostinrehab

After playing this game for a while I've noticed that the elemental death animations get in the way of the fun of using some of the weapons.

For instance using any element on bolto(s)/boltor prevents the bolts from being able to nail enemies to walls. For me that was 90% of the appeal to using those specific guns. Also guns with hilarious ragdoll effects like the shotguns get blocked by the elemental kills.

Yeah, I know I could just take the mods out but for higher level content that's not feasible.

What would be cool is if DE could combine both effects like to have boltor turn enemies into flaming ragdolls for instance.

What does everyone else think?

Definitely this, it gets even worse with melee weapons. I nowadays try to avoid elements in slashing weapons just because of this.

im not sure, but i think someone also said that armor piercing mods for melee also prevent the slashing enemies in half kill effect....

im not sure, but i think someone also said that armor piercing mods for melee also prevent the slashing enemies in half kill effect....

It does. I don't use elements at all because I just want to blow holes in people, not make them light up in an over-the-top 4 second animation (8 seconds for cold kills).

+1 OP, it does this for Paris too.

Yeah, ap damage is an element just like the others.

I loved the dread cleaving enemies in two but you gotta have that AP damage on higher level enemies. Well not really since max serration + multishot would probably still one shot all but heavy units till lvl 50 ish but still. WTB the weapon death animations.

There's also the fact that when enemies die and start their elemental death animations they become impenetrable cover for their allies yet they can shoot through the bodies of their dying as if it didn't have a hitbox

Edited by WhisperByte

I certainly agree that the biggest nuisance is the fact that enemies become cover when hit with elemental damage.

Shock damage does it the most though, I understand it would cause convulsions but really if what caused the convulsion was a 200 mph bolt (slight exaggeration maybe) well that bolt would take your twitching corpse and pin it to a wall!

Same goes for melee, it's fun dicing enemies up.

The elemental death animations for fire and electricity just take to long to finish.  However, I like seeing the enemies explode into frozen chunks as their bodies get out of the way fairly quickly.

I too liked the ice blasting enemies into frozen chunks however with bolt weapons it takes away from one of the biggest bonuses that bolt weapons offer, the ability to hit multiple enemies with the body of the one you just killed.

Oh sweet jeebus, yes. It's really weird having randomised and obnoxious animations that a)provide cover for my enemies and make me wish the game wouldn't punish me for using certain mods, and b)stop bolt weapons from piercing through targets which is both the reason I love them so much and actually a gosh-darned tactical asset.

Seriously if nothing else DE needs to address the fact that these mods disadvantage the players on account of these over-the-top, dramatic animations.

I too liked the ice blasting enemies into frozen chunks however with bolt weapons it takes away from one of the biggest bonuses that bolt weapons offer, the ability to hit multiple enemies with the body of the one you just killed.

Thus far I have only found the Dread can still go past after causing the ice-explosion.

I completely agree, the normal animations are often more interesting and satisfying than the elemental ones (especially for the melee weapons) but once we start adding the elemental mods we almost never see them. I really wish something could be tweaked to play them more often.

Elemental kills with bolt/ragdoll weapons and melee charge attacks shouldn't play the elemental death animation, though it should apply the particle effects (flaming ragdolls etc). Ice is the exception due to shatter, which matches all weapons. This also fixes the problem of enemies flailing in slow mo while dying from freezer burn (fire + ice) and blocking your bullets :/

It'd be cool if enemies killed with electricity ragdolled like normal, but started jittering/shaking around a lot (kind of like when a ragdoll glitches out when it gets stuck partway in an object, but less extreme).

Not sure about fire, but I don't like the death animations for fire as they are, because they last too long and occasionally cause confusion as to whether or not the enemy is still alive. Infested Chargers are the worst for this, because they stand up on their rear legs and end up blocking bullets from hitting things behind them.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that they need separate elemental effects to allow corpses to rip appart, ragdoll and get dragged with the bolt or arrow and so forth enabling the user to shoot bodies out of the way. instead of a punching bag that is a barrier for enemies behind them. this would also give bows and other bolt weapons that long desired ability to pin more than one to the wall.