Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Real Money For Weapon Slots?!

LilDisaster

But its not like any game.  Say, getting a healer and a DPS both to 85 and logging out of one to log in another for a raid is a completely different context from taking your mods out of your Loki to put them in a Frost for a defense mission.

Also mods could just as easily be said to be the equivalent of slotted gems that don't lock into the slots.

You sound really sure of these claims.  Where are the statistics you're drawing these conclusions from?

Slot limits never scare away customers. Slot limits scare away free-only players that will never spend a dime on your game.

To be honest, those free-only players are the potential customer.

At first I had no plans to pay a cent for Warframe, but I'm quite determined to buy at least one of the first two Founder pack (once I'm actually bothered to send funds from my account to my friend's so he can send it to his Paypal and then send it to mine)

Slots are not required to play the game, they are merely a luxury.  If you want them you get them, but you don't need them.

This. You get the full F2P experience already. You can get any weapon, warframe, etc. you want but if you want to keep your old ones, you have to pay for slots. Nothing is being restricted. You can always go back and rebuild anything you sold before.

I agree but unfortunately we are in the minority, my friend. Seems most people that spend money on this game are perfectly fine with paying for slots, instead of having any options to get them in-game in any way.

I would rather buy slots that expand my inventory cause of constant upgrade for account, than buy boosts and stuff that I can get ingame.

And I did buy slots and I do not regret it. Yes as a free player you have less slots than paying, but you still can perform equally.

So Stop complaining, and make your first payment.

Yes but one dollar into TF2 and you can trade for life.

TF2 lived well beyond its expectancy. F2P was a smart move from valve because pretty much everyone that wanted the game already bought it. By offering it for free they attracted people that weren't that interested in it.

Also, valve has other means of income (it does own steam - and I bet a fraction of warframe plat sales through steam go to valve). One dollar on TF2 gives you access to an amazingly old game, that has become tradition.

Warframe is new, and DE has little to no other income. So its "higher price" is justifiable.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned at all in this thread, which is quite concerning really, is that DE is well aware of the slot issues and have mentioned a few ways they could expand it to suit a free player's game.

Steve mentioned in one of the earlier Livestreams that they ideally want to tie in a few slots to Mastery, along with other bonuses, however the current implementation of Mastery and the account slots database are largely incompatible, so they need time to readjust and recreate that without being destructive to other player's data.

I can certainly understand the issues that result from being completely loaded out; You've got high level guns and equipment you don't want to part with that you can't justify deleting, because of the time invested in them. At the same time, you will usually have one or two equipment loadouts that you have as your go-to or favourite gear, leaving 2 or 3 slots available for experimentation, if you're into that sort of thing. While telling anybody to "pay up, bucko" is nothing short of a kick to the face to someone playing a free to play game, I can't help but think that this isn't quite what DE intends, at any point.

i realized a while ago that you need platinum for the weapon and warframe slots which i find is ridiculous because you guys emphasize that one should have full free-to-play experience.  I don't want to pay real money for that. i'd rather pay with a bunch of credits.  I hope you guys can consider this and fix this

You are playing a free2play game. You get the full stuff. You can have every last bit of content. If you want everything at once. pay. If you dont want that, well, sorry but F2P doesnt mean free to get everything for nothing.

How dare someone new to the game not already know the what is the most useful thing to buy.

There are other ways DE can make money from this game that feel less restrictive.  Or they can fundamentally change the way the game is now and make it so filling up an armory isn't the only sense of progress.

Making cosmetic items plat only is a good idea.  Cosmetics are usually the bread and butter of F2P cash items.  But Since the helmets and skins change stats there aren't any actual cosmetic items.

If they're incapable of googling and doing their own research in this day and age, then IMO they deserve to suffer the consequences of being lazy and making bad decisions. This game is so easy and people still cry about wanting to be spoonfed. 

I agree with the cosmetic idea though. Would be interesting to have more options, and people are willing to pay for that kind of stuff

If they're incapable of googling and doing their own research in this day and age, then IMO they deserve to suffer the consequences of being lazy and making bad decisions. This game is so easy and people still cry about wanting to be spoonfed. 

I agree with the cosmetic idea though. Would be interesting to have more options, and people are willing to pay for that kind of stuff

You get that wrong. This generation of players is used to get every last info straight without any effort. They dont know another way. People are spoilt.

Edited by Venarge

You get that wrong. This generation of players is used to get every last info straight without any effort. They dont know another way. People are spoilt.

I know. So they make bad decisions with their 50 plat and cry about it. Serves them right for being lazy and stupid

I know. So they make bad decisions with their 50 plat and cry about it. Serves them right for being lazy and stupid

I would say its the lack of common sense ^^ I mean. If you study the market for at least 5 min. You would see that there are weapons made of BP and for plat. But wait, there is no BP for slots. "I might want to save my start plat until I know if those slots drop ingame"

i realized a while ago that you need platinum for the weapon and warframe slots which i find is ridiculous because you guys emphasize that one should have full free-to-play experience.  I don't want to pay real money for that. i'd rather pay with a bunch of credits.  I hope you guys can consider this and fix this

I should start a petition to implement a rule that newbies who just get into the game should not be allowed to post these kind of threads.

They clearly don't understand how F2P games work, how this game works and hence they will keep making same threads with same ideas about getting stuff for free.

I'm not trying to rid people of freedom of speech i'm just trying to stop people who don't know what they are talking about to post these kind of threads until they actually know how this game works.

After replying to 500 different people about the same thing it gets kind of annoying.

I should start a petition to implement a rule that newbies who just get into the game should not be allowed to post these kind of threads.

They clearly don't understand how F2P games work, how this game works and hence they will keep making same threads with same ideas about getting stuff for free.

I'm not trying to rid people of freedom of speech i'm just trying to stop people who don't know what they are talking about to post these kind of threads until they actually know how this game works.

After replying to 500 different people about the same thing it gets kind of annoying.

Oh god. So much this^

You deserve a price

Edited by Venarge

Every account comes with 50 platinum, how you spend that platinum is your choice.

You can buy a third warframe slot as well as 4 extra weapon slots with your starting platinum without even putting a cent into the game.

If you need more than 3 warframe slots and 8 weapon slots it is probably time to consider putting a few dollars into the game imo.

Problem is that most people don't know they have to buy slots first, so noobs will rush a few builds and waste their platinum on revives (I did that because i thought that once you use up a revive its gone forever)

Fortunately i would tell people in this situation to use the reset option and just spend the plat on slots

Slot limits can scare away potential customers.

Just so you know, I started playing ToR back when it was limilted to two free characters *total* and I still kept playing and ended up spending money on it. I had no intention on doing that when I started, but the lack of character slots did nothing to scare me away. If anything, a lack of character slots is partially what got me to spend money on it.

Edited by Yargi

There's certainly people it would have a different effect on.  But I think character slots are a lot less restrictive than warframe slots and I was explaining that opinion in this thread.  I've played a game with limited character slots as well, but in DDO it took me a solid month of game play to get my character to half the max level.  My other characters also couldn't use my first character's stuff to power level.

I wasn't saying that limited slots couldn't scare away people (I actually only just now noticed the "can" in that statement >.<), I was just mentioning that it can sometimes encourage spending money, although I do have to say that in ToR the extra slots were a bonus for spending money on the game, and that I didn't have to buy them with the points I gained. So, maybe with the Plat having a warframe/weapon slot or two (depending on the size of the purchase) automatically given to you would help. I don't know. I can see that someone who doesn't spend money on the game can technically get all the weapons/warframes, but I also know how frustrating it is to have to figure out what to keep and what to sell.