Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn(prime)-What is she good at and how do I use her?

spatakiller123

Question

So while I was farming prime parts to convert to ducats I realised I got a complete saryn prime set from all the farming. I began building her as selling her as a set seemed.....boring. However, I am a complete newbie to playing and modding saryn,heck, I the last thing I heard bout her was that miasma was smacked with the nerf hammer. 

Anyway, what are the basics of playing her and what are some important mods I should use in every build for her?

10 answers to this question

Saryn is a pretty powerfull frame,she's easily in my top 3 frames. I usually just use her as a melee fighter; since the 2 and 3 fits that perfectly. Grab yourself the augments for those, go for some duration, strengh and a bit of economy, and you should be good to go.

Get a max vitality,that's important.

She's still really good at pretty much anything. She excels with infested, though. Make sure you get that regenerative molt augment, equip a rage mod, spread your spores (I recommend using hikou with the concealed explosives mod)

I'm a Saryn main and basically the way I use her powers is: Press 2 for molt, put spores on it, wait for enemies. Then miasma. Or if they're higher level, I'll just make sure to spread as much spores as I can.

Use molt(with the augment )whenever your health goes down and you're pretty much good to go. I rarely die as Saryn unless I'm doing energy reduction sorties, etc. 

This is the build I use for her: https://gyazo.com/6eb48e2ce95f5533c28f9b13cd35f624 

I hope this helped you out a bit :)

Regenerative Molt is a Solid Augment for her.

Past that...Spore is very potent, as it lets her spread Viral over...well...Pretty much everything given a chance. Toss in that Spore carries Toxin procs from victim to victim as well and there's quite a bit of fun in the 'debuff' approach. I admit I'm not sure what to suggest on Build as I'm overdue for reviewing mine though, so will leave that to other people.

Personally I like to play her as a Hit/Run kind of debuffer. Set up Spores on either a victim or Molt, whack it with a Toxin Lash imbued Melee or toxin doling weapon of choice and then just...Savour the cascading DoT. However, there's more than one way to play a frame so feel free to experiment, that's just how I like to do it.

And importantly, Saryn Prime colours real nicely.

even though many seem to underrate or forget her, shes prolly top #3 if not 1 if it comes to pure dmg.

She has some interactions withing her abilities, spore can be cast on her molt for cheaper cost and (easier) spread, using toxic lash guaranteed proccs spores on enemies and when targets are affected by toxin and viral proccs her ult deal 200% more dmg total. If you want a max dmg burst with her abilities cast molt, then spore on it and her Miasma afterwards, it explodes molt with her Miasma and spreads toxin+spores viral proccs before miasmas dmg ticks in and thus u get a max dmg miasma on affected targets.

Her 1st and foremost build is simply for maximum range to spread spores accross the map, which doesnt not only apply some dot but also guaranteed viral procc. Generally speaking if u build her i would not leave vitality + regenerative molt out, it gives her incredible survivability and makes her agreat solo frame too. on another note i would leave flow or primed flow out, its wasted capacity and slot imo because her pool is already good and if u increase the efficiency the pool u have grows in value too, with the benefit though that energy drops and energy regeneration grow in value because u get more in relation to ur maximum pool and ability costs. Her base pool isnt low by itself so the parasitic eximus dont hurt that much, still are a bigger problem than with a big energy pool, this is 100% preferrence though i just dont value flat out energy, efficiency is way more worth a slot imo.

Other possibilities are melee and buff builds but they are by far not as popular and stong, lastly is just using her spore augment with high duration but its just a nieche cause she can still do her other stuff, its just 1 slot and a build direction spent for it and not too worth it. U can throw it in a regular build if their is a free slot, which prolly wont, but it is nothing worth recommending, shes just no buffer. The melee build though works really well, u can still spread spores ftw but in melee mode u can wipe masses of enemies pretty successfully, plus the buff works on thrown melee or melee with a charge mechanic like caustacyst. Its also something nieche id say and not seen often but saryn does make a good melee frame with her contagion clouds augment especially.

To summarise mods i'd say are must have: Vitality, Regenerative Molt (augment), (primed) Continuity

The rest is build dependant and actually selfexplanatory imo. U want max range with as few downsides as possible on spore saryn, ~250% range so overextended, stretch and cunning drift are kind of must use too, with my build u end up at around 169% power, 105% efficiency, 250% range, 95% duration. Switch as u see fit, efficiency on this one is lower than id like to but cant help it. for such cases u can run max zenurik for instance and on another note, casting spore on molt is way cheaper so that helps lots too.

On a last note, as one might figure im a fan of regenerative molt as it gives incredible survivability as long as u have energy, but still personal preferrence and if someone plays much with premade teams u might not need it. still i found myself mostly being last frame standing and reg molt saving me big time, so i think its worth a slot any day.

Hope it helped you.

Greetings

Edited by Xydeth

She's what I refer to as the Black Plague in a jar, considering that she nukes the map easily (I dare say better than she previously did).

Playstyle may vary, but this is how I mod her:

-Overextended 

-Intensify

-(Primed) Continuity

-Stretch

-Vitality

-(Primed) Flow

-Fleeting Expertise

-Constitution 

Cast Spore to reduce enemy health by half, kill one of em and watch your spores spread from one enemy to another.

When enemies are focusing on you or while you're reviving a teammate, place a Molt. Spore can be cast on the Molt decoy for half of its original energy cost, and you can prematurely detonate Molt by casting it again.

Enemies attacked by Toxic Lash while under the effect of Spore will give you some energy.

Lastly, Miasma to clean the fields up. It's damage doubles when enemy is inflicted with either Toxin/Viral, and doubles again when both are present. Using a high status weapon with Gas helps a lot too.

Tl;dr: Reduce health with 1, distract or mini toxin nuke with 2, regain energy with 3 by hitting enemy with Spore, super nuke with 4.

Short Answer: Spores.

Long Answer: She was a very potent melee frame at some point. Her whole kit in fact worked in perfect synergy for a short period after her rework released BUT someone obviously had a problem with the endless scaling potential she had so she got a massive nerf....let me explain.

Her spores didn't only spread other spores but also present poison on the affected target, which of course also applied to targets who were affected by the spread poison. -using toxic lash therefore not only affected one but a few targets per hit, the effect getting stronger with each hit, scaling off your melee weapon.

Lash was a high damage source and miasama and molt could destroy spores in a radial fashion, which resulted in massive toxic spreading peaks and she could overall stack it infinitly ...the poison has a timer of course but stronger poison remained. It was effort to keep the numbers rolling but it was effective. This feature, spreading poison, was removed then. All she is left nowadays are the spores themself which can be spread for cheap on decoys... the numbers are still kinda decent but that's only due to the sheer quantity of VERY low numbers on a wide range of enemys...

You wanna use max range, max efficiency, balanced duration and kinda positive strength on her. And get yourself a automated weapon, the torid for example, which can pop spores as you spam them on your molt...Cause that's rly all you'll ever do. Popping spores on your molt.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

I run a high duration build, personally.  Gives me more time to spread the spores around when they last longer than 2 seconds.  Works great vs infested as the Ancients are big targets and run until they're like 75m away before walking the rest of the way, letting the rest of the horde surround them for maximum coverage.

1 hour ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Long Answer: She was a very potent melee frame at some point. Her whole kit in fact worked in perfect synergy for a short period after her rework released BUT someone obviously had a problem with the endless scaling potential she had so she got a massive nerf....let me explain.

This is slightly off base, because Spores DO still transfer toxic procs when they pop.  They just transfer 25% of the damage that caused the proc (scales with str) to all targets in range and calculate the proc from there.

Currently run a 3 forma build with:

Zenurik Focus
Rejuvenation Aura
Power Drift in the Exilus slot (Regenerative Molt's 50hp per second scales with power strength, so at 145, it's regenerating 72hp per second.  Plus it's 30% chance to ignore knock down)
Vitality
Primed Flow
Primed Continuity
Constitution (bonus duration and vastly reduces knock down times)
Intensify (increases the damage on Toxic Lash and HP regen from Regenerative Molt)
Steel Fiber (survivability)
Stretch
Regenerative Molt

End result is 145 str, 145 range, 183 duration, 100 efficiency (but you have 850 power and no real CC skills so you'll not be power spamming much)

Edited by UltimateGrr

24 minutes ago, UltimateGrr said:

I run a high duration build, personally.  Gives me more time to spread the spores around when they last longer than 2 seconds.  Works great vs infested as the Ancients are big targets and run until they're like 75m away before walking the rest of the way, letting the rest of the horde surround them for maximum coverage.

This is slightly off base, because Spores DO still transfer toxic procs when they pop.  They just transfer 25% of the damage that caused the proc (scales with str) to all targets in range and calculate the proc from there.

Currently run a 3 forma build with:

Zenurik Focus
Rejuvenation Aura
Power Drift in the Exilus slot (Regenerative Molt's 50hp per second scales with power strength, so at 145, it's regenerating 72hp per second.  Plus it's 30% chance to ignore knock down)
Vitality
Primed Flow
Primed Continuity
Constitution (bonus duration and vastly reduces knock down times)
Intensify (increases the damage on Toxic Lash and HP regen from Regenerative Molt)
Steel Fiber (survivability)
Stretch
Regenerative Molt

End result is 145 str, 145 range, 183 duration, 100 efficiency (but you have 850 power and no real CC skills so you'll not be power spamming much)

Yea yea, it's also still in the wiki. Start up a similation and try it tho. You'll be suprised by the results....

Poison is supposed to do 50% off the basedamage of your weapon, the spread 25% off the damage that triggered the damage (weapon damage)

A 100% strength build is thus supposed to share the same ammount of poison damage without any falloff...go ahead, try if it does.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

1 hour ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Poison is supposed to do 50% off the basedamage of your weapon, the spread 25% off the damage that triggered the damage (weapon damage)

A 100% strength build is thus supposed to share the same ammount of poison damage without any falloff...go ahead, try if it does.

Okay, you sort of defeated your own argument here.  Toxic DoTs deal 50% of the base damage over 10 seconds (usually 8, but Saryn passive for 25% extra status duration), so if the base damage is 1000 points, the proc hits for 500 a tick (for 5000 damage total).  The spread is 25% of the hit that caused the proc, so, assuming base damage of 1000, this means 250 pure toxic damage is spread with a 100% chance to proc for 125 damage per second for 10 seconds.  All of this, mind you, assumes the targets have no resistances, weaknesses, or armor that would sway the numbers in any way, as while the base hit is the combined total of all the damage types on the weapon calculated out against the target's resistances, the spread and DoTs deal purely Toxic damage.

10 hours ago, UltimateGrr said:

Okay, you sort of defeated your own argument here.  Toxic DoTs deal 50% of the base damage over 10 seconds (usually 8, but Saryn passive for 25% extra status duration), so if the base damage is 1000 points, the proc hits for 500 a tick (for 5000 damage total).  The spread is 25% of the hit that caused the proc, so, assuming base damage of 1000, this means 250 pure toxic damage is spread with a 100% chance to proc for 125 damage per second for 10 seconds.  All of this, mind you, assumes the targets have no resistances, weaknesses, or armor that would sway the numbers in any way, as while the base hit is the combined total of all the damage types on the weapon calculated out against the target's resistances, the spread and DoTs deal purely Toxic damage.

The wording in the wiki is "spreads 25% of the damage that innitialised the poison", or something along these lines indeed

So lash's base, melee base damage x multipliers, would also directly affect the spread base as it's this base is which innitialises the poison. 100% strength obviously double this number to 50% as it is not a static value.

What makes a 100% str build, in theory, spread for the same ammount of poison lash does.

Poison resistance is obviously affecting lashs poison just as much, meaning that you should see the same ticks on more then just the enemy you attacked, which rly isn't the case. The following weapon releases with mods such as the body count combo made this stupid obvious. What one may see is the status chance of each spore to set poison on destruction but that's as far as radial spread poison damage goes.

This is only adding to the fact that spores have a mechanic on destruction which takes the totall of all present poison into consideration....using melee should therefore skyrocket miasamas burst damage as it destroys spores to an extend...considered miasama to be lethal ever since she got reworked?

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108