Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon "mastery" Mods. Dance With Me Here..

DirkDeadeye

Just..so we're clear. I'm making conversation in the hope that either someone can rationally, tell me it's a bad idea, outside of "BREAKS THE LORE, or NO THAT WILL NEVER WORK GTFO" Or the devs take the idea and run with it, mutate it into something different, or fire up a cluster of braincells that leads to a good idea.

So, a lot of the time in teamspeak, with the FLOW clan bros, I hear people say they level guns just for the mastery level, or discussion on what guns are good, which ones suck, which ones need a potato to excel.. etc.

I noticed that the Paris and Dread have a special card that give a chance to make their arrows explosive. While it does stand to reason that building this card parallel to a crit build isn't advisable.. it did make me want to pull the Paris back out when I found the card. Gave me new reason to use it again, because at the time I was horse blindered into just leveling up to get the Dera/Ogris/Supra..etc (I had reset my account post Update 8)

So I got to thinking about that. What if we could have special cards for particular guns. Make them a little more fun, give people a reason to get one, and use it when they find the mod. "Aw snap, I found a lex mod..I sort of need a new secondary any how"

I mean there are things like, does the weapon have to be level 30 to use this mod, how much will the mod cost in points, would it need a separate slot.. Dirk you're a god damn idiot, stop making these crazy suggestions.

And I'm just spit balling here guys.. I know you get sensitive about examples. This is just crazy unbalanced hoo-haw here..so relax. Give me one of your ideas..

So what if we give the hek a special card, and it gives it slug ammunition that shoots one slug, which will do as much damage as 3-4 out of the 7 pellets (is it 6 or 7?) you can also fire all four rounds in fast succession, being that there are 4 barrels. It can already fire pretty fast as it is, but now you have a nasty little howlizer in your hands.

Maybe give the Lex a card that gives a chance to mortally wound any non boss target in one hit. And by mortally would, I mean, just gib the thing. Blow it in half, or its head off, or whatever.

Give the Snipetron/Vulkar a variable zoom.

A card that allows the Lanka to pierce through enemies (puncture sucks, just get rid of it) on a full charge.

Turn the ignis into a lightning gun.

Just dumb examples. But it would be fun to maybe like, turn the torid into a napalm launcher.

I love this idea.  I love the entire mod system and you could come up with countless ideas for new mods to affect certain weapons in a certain way. 

Burst-Fire Lex mod.

Grenade Launching secondary on say ... Grakata

Those were the first 2 that popped into my mind, but you could literally come up with an unlimited amount.  More mods = More fun =D

Great Idea! I would just hope that not all the mods would be made rare. I have plenty of trouble getting any rare mods, and what I do get are most always warframe abilities.

There are 28-30? Guns in the game..so even if they were rare..

Also, they're working on fixing the drop rates..?

They could also take it even further and offer funny "time limited" mods for events like Christmas/Halloween - expire in 1 week mods, or something.

Boltor shooting candy-cane cookie bolts.

Paris/Dread shooting flaming brooms for Halloween. 

Man, I really love this idea, I hope this thread gets some DE attention.

I use a Dread during 100% of my game-time, and Thunderbolt mod's have their own little boost outside the fixed damage explosion chance , the explosion itself take''s on the elemental properties of your Bow, so anything in the explosion radius that is touched is also frozen, set on fire, shocked, and so forth, so it's not bad to use in all. I do wish it wasn't fixed damage myself.

Filling the loot tables with gun specific mods that most people don't wanna use besides mastery won't make them wanna use it will just make this RNG based grindfest a even bigger grindfest.

NO.

Assuming people don't want to use them.

Assuming the RNG system is here to stay.

Takes my sentiments to heart despite me saying I'm trying to start a conversation.

This is why I don't like posting feedback here.

I really like this idea.

I was watching total biscuits warframe wtf is video today... just cause.... I know its a bit old, but some of the points made in that video were true.
The point Im referring to mainly is the idea of guns being too boring. The guns feel like your everyday 3rd person shooter guns. Comon face it, they are a bit boring.

The paris was fun at first (but then I didnt use it cause it was too weak for higher levels...) and then I got a thunderbolt from xini (before reset) and that gave me a reason to use paris again. And it was really really fun. (Now I found like 5 thunderbolts lol)

Also look at borderlands 2. I know its not a 3rd person, but the guns all feel different and exciting (mainly the orange weapons that werent created by a randomizer). Those weapons feel unique. Thats cause they have special abilitys.

So by having Special mod cards for weapons it would make those weapons unique. (Then later on the road they could add EVEN MORE AND MORE AND when they feel bored they can make MORE).

+1 to this suggestion. 

Also to the person saying it will mess up the RNG system... No. Because they said they are removing RNG.

It would be such a great update to have each weapon having unique mods.

Edited by Deaths.Reap3r

Assuming the RNG system is here to stay.

On this one I'm reasonably sure he is wrong.

I think I remember the Devs saying they where switching to enemy specific drop chances rather than planet/faction based tables.

Grinding should be waaaaay easier after that.

I'll be happy with this. Let's just say something like the Grakata has bouncing shots, the AK Lato can unload all their rounds at once in just one gigantic fire spree after you hold down the button for a second, the Boltor changes to one massive bolt that knockbacks enemies as far as the bolt goes, until it hits a wall.

I would love these kinds of things, and it would make me love to use more weapons.

This could have some pretty interesting effects.

However I wouldn't suggest weapon-specific but *type* specific. You know how Thunderbolt works on all *bows* (both Dread and Paris, and if we get another bow it'll work on it too)- like that.

So you'd have a Sniper, Automatic, Semi-auto, Burst (incoming recoil reduction mod to make the Burston not absolute S#&$ (queue S#&$storm for me saying that)), Launcher, Double X, and so forth. And you'll have multiple different ones for each. The reason I say this is simple: why make a mod for exactly one weapon that completely changes how it is played rather than just make a new weapon?

That and you'll inadvertantly create a mod for, say, the Furis, that would be really fun on the Viper too- but you can't use it on both, you have to get the viper-specific version of it and rank that up sepparately.

This could have some pretty interesting effects.

However I wouldn't suggest weapon-specific but *type* specific. You know how Thunderbolt works on all *bows* (both Dread and Paris, and if we get another bow it'll work on it too)- like that.

So you'd have a Sniper, Automatic, Semi-auto, Burst (incoming recoil reduction mod to make the Burston not absolute S#&$ (queue S#&$storm for me saying that)), Launcher, Double X, and so forth. And you'll have multiple different ones for each. The reason I say this is simple: why make a mod for exactly one weapon that completely changes how it is played rather than just make a new weapon?

That and you'll inadvertantly create a mod for, say, the Furis, that would be really fun on the Viper too- but you can't use it on both, you have to get the viper-specific version of it and rank that up sepparately.

I'm a salesman..and one of my strategies to pitching an idea is to make it feasible, and easy to sell.. in my opinion these mods would add life to already built in game assets, and require a little tuning, rather than animating, texturing, and modeling new assets. 

I don't see a problem with "Type" specific mods, and "Weapon" specific mods. But that would definitely warrant a "mastery slot" in the weapon, so you wouldin't stack them but that will require more work.

I'd like to see a 'mastery' slot for all the weapons. Maybe even frames. When you reach level 30, you can plug in a mastery mod. Either tailored to the gun itself, or a common pool, by weapon type. The common pool type would be more common than the tailored ones. The mods really wouldin't make them more powerful, they would simply change their behavior. Like, change the bolto to fire large high caliber bolts..akin the behavior more closely to the bronco, but just give them one round magazines and a long reload..plus side is they do as much damage as half the magazine of a regular bolto. Modded for capacity they would get 2 rounds in the magazine.

Again, just spitballing crazy ideas here.

Hell, you could even craft the tailored mods with a few components. Instead of it being a card, say for instance in the bolto, "large caliber upgrade" you'd need a BP, and build a larger barrel, and magazine

This sort of treads on 'whole different gun' territory.

Probably just went on a tangent that doesn't even align with my original idea.

The thought of earning mastery for a reconfigured gun is on the table too..

But I'm just thinking out loud.

Edited by DirkDeadeye

Burst (incoming recoil reduction mod to make the Burston not absolute S#&$ (queue S#&$storm for me saying that

I WILL SET YOUR SOUL AFLAME FOR BESMIRCHING THE HOLY NAME OF BURSTRON!!! (jk)

With that out of the way I'd prefer Recoil Dampener (reduces recoil) and Stabilizer (reduces accuracy cone) to be mods that applied to all guns, not just burst ones. Feel free to use those names DE :P

With that out of the way I'd prefer Recoil Dampener (reduces recoil) and Stabilizer (reduces accuracy cone) to be mods that applied to all guns, not just burst ones. Feel free to use those names DE :P

Yeah..those could just be regluar run of the mill mods though

XD both of those would be good ideas. Hell, maybe I'd actually *like* the Braton, too, with an acc mod- as it'd basically be a shorter clip, higher rof, higher damage Mk1 (which I honestly loved minus its ammo efficiency). Until then I'll just sit here and swoon over this bluprint of the Dera I have in my foundry.

Don't really get the recoil on the burston though. Braton has less recoil on bullets 5 to 45 in full automatic, while the Burston, which is supposedly *designed* for accurate 3-shot bursts, tries to go to the moon at every pull of the trigger (as bad as the Lex, except the Lex is a revolver (that thinks it's a mag-based semi-auto) that Dirty Harry would swoon over). Everyone who says it's fine because you can "correct" the recoil yourself or "walk" the shots into the target are seriously just there to be contrary. The recoil is obscenely too high and prevents the gun from being really useable as anything more than a novelty firearm. A Latron Prime will do exactly what you're trying to achieve with your Burston, only with none of the work lol.

As to the other reply I got to my post... Actually it wouldn't. Thunderbolt doesn't get its own slot, it's just a regular mod that lets you fire exploding arrows on occasion. Small things like this are what we need. That Buck -> Slug mod that was suggested in the OP for the Hek would actually be pretty good as a general shotty mod (the only reason that seems "lame" is because shotties have different mods from rifles (while snipers share mods with rifles)).

If you do weapon-specific mods (this is for ONLY the Lex, this is for ONLY the Kunai, etc) you'll end up with more mods that are either required or trash than you'll end up with actual options- and you'll also introduce the possibility of the balancing team going "Eh, we can just fix it with its specific mod."

Edited by TheBlueJelly