The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Antimatter Frame Name] As A Council Member, I'd Like To Apologise

Asagiri

I don't understand why people are blaming the DC as a whole for the name choices - the DC suggested thousands of names - DE picked the ones they liked. The Design Council is partly to blame for the way the voting has gone, but equally DE should never have picked a name like "Nova" that didn't fit the antimatter theme.

I can't wait until this patchwork of terrible decisions is released and is only available by some neigh unattainable means.

Lets guess shall we? Mine guess is on the clan research system (because... you know... science. And research.) And if not that, then my next guess is that it'll be a drop from the new vor (which would be better than the research in some ways, worse in others. Big clans will have it ALMOST instantly, while little clans will struggle. From Vor it's all about RNG. Yay.)

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

Lets guess shall we? Mine guess is on the clan research system (because... you know... science. And research.) And if not that, then my next guess is that it'll be a drop from the new vor (which would be better than the research in some ways, worse in others. Big clans will have it ALMOST instantly, while little clans will struggle. From Vor it's all about RNG. Yay.)

If it is clan research it will probably be the first warframe to require a master level, which I wouldn't put it past DE to pull that.

I wouldn't knock Hawk as a theme. It could have easily been a really nice 'Speedy' frame. There is a ton of things you can do with a simple, basic idea like 'A bird' or 'Water' because there are hundreds of thousands of facts and neat little things about them that plenty of people know and understand.

I found Necro and Antimatter to both be less then interesting. Mostly because neither of those things really leave all that much room for wild creativity. Antimatter is essentially an explosives Frame if you ask the guys here on the Forums and Necro was either going to be another take on a poison frame or the basic 'I raise corpses' shtick. 

Water, Hawk, Earth. Those are decent because of the sheer number of possible suggestions you can expect to see when you bring those themes forwards. In my opinion that is the trait that is most valuable in a community suggestion sense. You want themes that open up the most possibilities when it comes down to suggestions in later stages.

I think alot of people didn't read up on what anti-matter was and assumed it was purple space magic with portals.

If it is clan research it will probably be the first warframe to require a master level, which I wouldn't put it past DE to pull that.

Rhino has a mastery level (requires level 2), but yeah, it'd be the first to REALLY require some levels (judging by the rest of the clan stuff)

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

I don't understand why people are blaming the DC as a whole for the name choices - the DC suggested thousands of names - DE picked the ones they liked. The Design Council is partly to blame for the way the voting has gone, but equally DE should never have picked a name like "Nova" that didn't fit the antimatter theme.

I applaud you for posting this. Even though it's been said several times already. Sadly, it'll likely get ignored same as the rest.

On a sidenote, this topic has inadvertently become a crazy social experiment that reflects a lot of the cancer in modern society. Pretty interesting really.

I may have sounded like DC was the main problem here in my earlier post, but I do agree it's both. That's why I also stated that DE should hopefully learn from this event, and not let it ever happen again.

Either way, even if this poll concludes with a victor, it's still not set in stone. DE could take the reigns (though this will no doubt anger quite a bit of the council). As for the abilities, we'll just have to see if they work - even if they barely if at all have anything to do with Anti-Matter.

I may have sounded like DC was the main problem here in my earlier post, but I do agree it's both. That's why I also stated that DE should hopefully learn from this event, and not let it ever happen again.

Either way, even if this poll concludes with a victor, it's still not set in stone. DE could take the reigns (though this will no doubt anger quite a bit of the council). As for the abilities, we'll just have to see if they work - even if they barely if at all have anything to do with Anti-Matter.

I'd say let it release as is. Then if it don't work, DE should re-work it. In the end, it's about making the game as good as possible. It's not any body's fault really. It's more of a system that seemed good on paper, but didn't work so well in practice. I think DE was just trying to throw the DC a bone really. Just turned out to be a stick of dynamite instead.

I'd say let it release as is. Then if it don't work, DE should re-work it. In the end, it's about making the game as good as possible. It's not any body's fault really. It's more of a system that seemed good on paper, but didn't work so well in practice. I think DE was just trying to throw the DC a bone really. Just turned out to be a stick of dynamite instead.

IMO, best to get it right the first time, save everyone the hassle, complaining, feedback, etc and save DE the trouble of having to rebalance/rework the frame.

Agreed.

IMO, best to get it right the first time, save everyone the hassle, complaining, feedback, etc and save DE the trouble of having to rebalance/rework the frame.

Also agreed. Both are valid points, and DE will end up having to do one or the other.

The problem is, there are always people [like me to a lesser extent] who have a scientific background, and names like Nova even being in the vote in the first place will upset them. DE obviously didn't do any research before they chose the names to go in the poll, and now they're paying for it.

In my opinion, catering to the people who want the name to fit the 'frame costs very little, but makes a lot of people very happy.

Overall to those who are not happy with it, we can't do anything about it and accept it and once it comes this whole facade will be forgotten. We don't even know her health, speed, shields and the full extent (level up maxed) skills are.

So no matter how much you disagree, this whole thing will be forgotten and there will be many who love to play their anti mat frame.

On the list, the only really good names are Dira, Flux, Null, and Nova. Dira is a bit of a stretch, Flux makes me want to go 88 mph in a Delorian, and Null is more there because I'm partial to it (my first ever non-academic long-term writing project is/was (currently wip) a League fanfic named Null Link). Nova is by far the best on the list.

I really don't get why everyone's like "Nova's such a bad name." It's soft, it's sweet, and it's explosions. Which by the sound of the powers, makes this quite fitting of a name. I mean, her 3 is the only one that doesn't sound like it's based on making something explode in new and shiny ways.

And all this "all the good names weren't on the poll" bullS#&$... Mind giving some examples of these "good names" that got passed up? Please? It sounds more like "My name suggestion was good, and it wasn't on the poll- wait, everyone else who suggested a name and didn't get theirs on the poll also thought their own name was good, so if I just keep it vague and say that none of the good names made it in, the majority will agree with me!"

Here's the list of names suggested and not listed that were in this thread:

Athena, which doesn't work. References are great and all (like Saryn), but not so great if you have to explain the reference to 99.99998% of people. And 99.99998% of people will think Greek Goddess, not Research Project.

Yin, which doesn't fit even remotely.

Anathema, which is a mouthful and, while kinda fitting and could lead to some fun lore tie-ins, is still a pain in the &#! to type/say, and I can almost guarantee she'd be called Ana for short. Which would be bad, because the Internet is quite mature, and totally wouldn't ever accidentally add an L to the end of that, no-sir-ee.

Orda, found on page 13, which was only maybe suggested as a possible name... It just lacks a namelike quality, and was based off of Ordo (order). On a frame that's themed after the chaotic nature of Antimatter. Lolnope.

Atom, is implied to be one of the suggestions... but why are we naming a girl something that is phoenetically almost the same as Adam? Are we even TRYING here?

Quark runs a bar on Deep Space 9. I'd like to see people just *try* to feminize that one without hurrdurring all over. It'd probably give me something to laugh at.

NO OTHER NAMES HAVE BEEN STATED AT THIS TIME.

So really, where are your "better names"?

Anyways, best post regarding this... Matter...

The problem is that nobody here knows anything about antimatter, I don't know anything about antimatter, and considering that most sciencists know very little about it I'm guessing DE doesn't know much about it either so it makes sense that the name would make no sense.

I think we should call it Phil

Edited by TheBlueJelly

I just realized we got over a dozen pages here arguing about a name like it's game breaking.

That's enough internet for me today.

There are lots of people who want Warframe to be a great game - it's only natural that if something they think will harm the game comes up they will argue passionately about it.

but how does nova = antimatter or relate to it? THAT'S the problem.

edit: I am partial to the name phil... Maybe philette or something?

But how does any of her abilities (at actual implementation) fit to the description "antimater" more than the description "bright exploding lights"?

Philette isn't bad... Still prefer Nova =P

What. Do you even know who Dirac is?

Yes, but do you know what Dira is? A two-syllable din that is trying its darndest to make a good name-like sound, but falling short by mere inches. It's too... cut-off sounding I guess. I mean, if I heard it enough I'm sure it'd grow on me, but I'd rather not have to make it grow on me for me to like it.

Might also be because I don't want to be a Dira wielding a Dera.

Nova, on the other hand, had me at <insert likely sfx and likely vfx from 1, 2, and/or 4 here>

Think on the bright side guys, they could have chosen Nova for a missile/explosives based warframe!

Oh man, that would be horrible!

Wait...

Edited by TheBlueJelly