Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Player Friendly Nikana Prime and Orthos Prime Builds.

KeiYinXI

Question

5 answers to this question

It really depends on what you want from your melee weapon.  Is it for capping bubble boys in high-end corpus maps?  Is it your primary weapon as valk or something?  A backup?  Do you channel or just quick smack/jump attack?   Do you run in a group that removes armor?  

Generally, I build for the enemy I face and it depends on whether I expect to face high-end armor or not.  I only really use quick-melee or one attack copter/jump attacks on most of my frames.  I insist that if it is in front of me, I can hit it with one swing.   On nikana, I use the stalker stance which does a good job of aoe attacks, for example.  

Both of these are slash heavy.  I would seriously consider branching out, just because. 

I don't have a lot of specifics here on purpose... again, I build tailored to the enemy and group and use melee as a backup.  Just throwing some things to consider out there, to help you think on what you want/need to do.

1 hour ago, KeiYinXI said:

I'm just starting to get into Higher Level content, and I'd like a build that will help me get passed through it, any ideas?

The best general advice to start is to mod for corrosive damage to help bypass armor that mitigates slash damage.

Other than that, a great avenue is to have clan members send you loadout screenshots of their builds and evaluate your loadouts in return.

13 hours ago, jonnin said:

It really depends on what you want from your melee weapon.  Is it for capping bubble boys in high-end corpus maps?  Is it your primary weapon as valk or something?  A backup?  Do you channel or just quick smack/jump attack?   Do you run in a group that removes armor?  

Generally, I build for the enemy I face and it depends on whether I expect to face high-end armor or not.  I only really use quick-melee or one attack copter/jump attacks on most of my frames.  I insist that if it is in front of me, I can hit it with one swing.   On nikana, I use the stalker stance which does a good job of aoe attacks, for example.  

Both of these are slash heavy.  I would seriously consider branching out, just because. 

I don't have a lot of specifics here on purpose... again, I build tailored to the enemy and group and use melee as a backup.  Just throwing some things to consider out there, to help you think on what you want/need to do.

I'm currently using Volt Prime, and I mainly use Meele, which is my Nikana Prime.

if it is your primary weapon, youll want to look into pro builds beyond what I can teach you.   Youll need to learn about channeling, choose your stance carefully, and practice the many special melee attack combos that deliver the highest per hit damage.

Corrosive/cold is an interesting choice for "all around".   This gives you decent damage against armor, flesh, and shields.  Keep an eye on baro and be ready to trade with him for some of the high end mods like buzz kill or primed versions etc.  

Its really all about the damage if it is your primary.  Most of the melee enemy can be one-shot with quick-melee attacks with a modest build up to a really high level.  What you need is to be able to quickly kill level 30+  heavy gunners, bombards, ancients, etc.  You can practice on those in the simulator to see what works best for you.   I think if you set up the corrosive / cold / slash and max that damage as best you can with a stance that flows well for your style, and learn to use the hard hitting jump/slide/etc attacks, you will do well. 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:06 AM, KeiYinXI said:

I'm currently using Volt Prime, and I mainly use Meele, which is my Nikana Prime.

I would recommend going for Corrosive as others have mentioned.  Tack on ways to increase your crit chances as the Nikana Prime has very good crit chances.  Since you're using Volt, then adding Berzerker might not be needed.  If you are lucky to get some dual stat mods that increase status chance, then do so.  This will help with getting Bleed procs from Slash damage.  The Bleed proc chances increase more with fewer other status types.  If you only have Corrosive, then bleed has like a 50% chance of procing.  If you have Corrosive and cold, then bleed has like a 33% chance of procing.  This isn't exact, but just to give you an idea. 

The things I mentioned are also influenced by which stance you use for the Nikana Prime.  My personal favorite is Blind Justice.  It is dropped by Stalker.