Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Richard Talks:] Capture

Yzjdriel

Hello again.

As always, I'll explain what I'm doing before doing it.

There are some things in this game that are perfect, some things that are fine the way they are, and some things that just need to change.  So let's take a closer look at some of the things that need to be tweaked a little.

This discussion will benefit mostly from veterans, but any and all opinions are welcome.

I'm not going to talk about nerfs, powercreep, meta, or anything else that invariably ends up being a hot-button issue anywhere in this thread.  I would ask you all to do the same when responding.

Now then.

CAPTURE MISSIONS

You love 'em, you hate 'em, you don't give a flying frag about 'em, whatever you think (or don't think) about them, they are a thing that exists.  And like everything else in this game, they have their place, and their own issues.

As always, I'll start by breaking things down.

Simply Put:  Your task in a Capture mission is to find Bozo, the unfortunate soul who has been marked by the Lotus for capture.  You need to find him, then knock him on his arse before he gets away and condense him into a stream of data via a very painful process known as "pressing the context action button".

Pros:  Capture missions aren't incredibly lengthy, and it's easy to farm enemies for XP and loot after Bozo gets captured.

Cons:  For no discernible reason, Bozo is completely immune to Warframe powers.  Also, he's not intelligent enough to start running away when he hears the Tenno alarm, meaning that stealth means absolutely nothing.

Per usual, let's talk about how to remove the cons.

How to fix it:  If Bozo isn't in a Nullifier bubble, he shouldn't be immune to Warframe powers.  If I can use Avalanche, Chaos, or Fireball on Prosecutors, Bailiffs, and even some bosses (looking at you, Ambulas), I should be able to use them on Bozo.  That just makes sense.

Meanwhile, if Bozo is supposed to be intelligent enough to have information that we need that his fellow mooks don't have, he should be smart enough to RUN AWAY WHEN HE HEARS THE TENNO ALARM.  Seriously, guys, that alarm only turns on for one reason:  "Bad guys are in our base".  He should take off running the instant the alarms go off, forcing you to care enough about stealth to not let the alarms go off at least until you reach him (at which point it's just a race that your Warframe can usually win, provided you deal enough damage to gank him fast enough - for veterans this isn't a problem).

Now, if Bozo is a VIP, he should probably have some guards.  All I've ever seen is a large amount of mooks surrounding a slightly more bullet-spongey mook.  Any kind of AoE attack will wipe out his guards in seconds, leaving him defenseless (a hail of bullets is usually a decent temporary defense against your average player - at mid-tier enemy levels, anyway).  Have him be surrounded by Prosecutors or Bailiffs if he's Grineer, and Nullifiers and Combas/Scrambus if he's Corpus.  Something to say 'hey, this guy is important, and we actually give a shist if he gets ganked.'

Bottom Line:  The capture target should not be immune to Warframe powers, he should bolt for his exit the moment the alarms blare, and he should have actual guards, not just a platoon of mooks surrounding him.

I would appreciate your constructive criticism on this topic.

Have fun and be safe, Tenno.

Don't forget Lotus tells us to safely capture the target instead we

In pail him with hundreds of bullets,  wack him with the same swords that cut through enemies like air and then we painfully duck him through while he is screaming in agony and getting pixelated away slowly

Yup, that's safe XD

Also could add female capture targets because why not we have female bosses 

2 hours ago, (PS4)Elvenbane said:

"forcing you to care enough about stealth to not let the alarms go off at least until you reach him"

Please no, this will just mean another mission people will cheese with Loki or that you'll have to run solo.

You say that like it's a bad thing to learn how to do something properly before trying it with more people.

The same reason we don't have anyone advocating pub Spy missions:  there's a right way and a wrong way, and sometimes the wrong way can only be explained with a MISSION FAILED screen.

15 hours ago, (PS4)Elvenbane said:

Yes, because pug spy missions work so well...

How often do you actually DO a pug spy mission nowadays?

It's actually a lot better than it used to be, especially if someone who's got a higher mastery rank than the noob who would fail the vault says 'I got this' and goes in.

You're also forgetting that "stealth" in this case just means giving a damn about whether the alarms go off.  You can alert the whole room if you like, but don't let them reach a console or the target will bolt.

I'm sorry if adding an element of realism to the actions of an NPC you're trying to capture by force makes you uncomfortable.  The entire point of having different mission types is to encourage the use of DIFFERENT styles of play for each.  The same strategy does not (and SHOULD not) work for every mission.

8 hours ago, Yzjdriel said:

I'm sorry if adding an element of realism to the actions of an NPC you're trying to capture by force makes you uncomfortable.  The entire point of having different mission types is to encourage the use of DIFFERENT styles of play for each.  The same strategy does not (and SHOULD not) work for every mission.

Since you seem to be trying to insult me now, this will be my last post. I don't see your change encouraging different styles of play, I see it encouraging using Loki (or another stealth frame) to rush through the level, just like spy.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Elvenbane said:

Since you seem to be trying to insult me now, this will be my last post. I don't see your change encouraging different styles of play, I see it encouraging using Loki (or another stealth frame) to rush through the level, just like spy.

I'm sorry that you feel insulted.  My highly sarcastic nature gets me into trouble sometimes.  :3

I will again note that it's a suggested change, and isn't the main focus of the idea (which is to remove Bozo's inexplicable immunity to Warframe abilities).