Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Void Guardians

IHWIP

I was thinking. The void has all these lovely traps. Why not have some massive statues that are dormant until you hit a pressure plate. Once the pressure plate triggers them they stand up and start laying the smack down. This would be a perfect addition to the ziggarut structure containing the raid artifact. You could even put 4 in there to block access to the artifact. Then players would have to find the right plate to activate them and then have this extremely indestructible colossus chasing them within the room.

It could even be completely destructible or all the doors could seal with moving walls like in the Parkour room etc. The void has that ominous feel to it and adding a gigantic animate statue would just...fit. Ya know?

But we are Tenno. Either we are Orokin, or we worked for them, or created by them. Any being native to the void that isn't corrupted would be on our side, not against us.

I love the idea, but I don't see it being lore-friendly the way it is presented. Now, the concept of large beings being dormant until the players activate them (accidentally or deliberately) would be awesome for the Infested. Why not have some classification between and ancient and the J3-Golem that exists in the later planets and if provoked will chase the players around?

But we are Tenno. Either we are Orokin, or we worked for them, or created by them. Any being native to the void that isn't corrupted would be on our side, not against us.

I love the idea, but I don't see it being lore-friendly the way it is presented. Now, the concept of large beings being dormant until the players activate them (accidentally or deliberately) would be awesome for the Infested. Why not have some classification between and ancient and the J3-Golem that exists in the later planets and if provoked will chase the players around?

I see your point, but I'm pretty sure that corrupted actually fought FOR the Orokins (as in, the Orokin corrupted their enemies so they fought for them), before they disappeared and left the suckers behind without any goal, which makes them "rabid" or "feral" if you will. That was my personal interpretation at any rate.

You could also justify the back lash of guardian statues by making them guard the artifacts, and really, if you stole anything from an ally or superior, you would get kicked in the &#! for it. 

I see your point, but I'm pretty sure that corrupted actually fought FOR the Orokins (as in, the Orokin corrupted their enemies so they fought for them), before they disappeared and left the suckers behind without any goal, which makes them "rabid" or "feral" if you will. That was my personal interpretation at any rate.

You could also justify the back lash of guardian statues by making them guard the artifacts, and really, if you stole anything from an ally or superior, you would get kicked in the &#! for it.

But the corpus and grineer wouldn't be in the void for as long as the tenno. At least I don't think they would. Again, that doesn't explain the fact the the Orokin were either allies or the creators or just were the tenno. Again, it might be explained that because of our affliation with the Lotus we are no longer allied with the Orokin or something.

I must say, it is a cool idea.

I think that's gameplay/story segregation, you can notice that Lotus outright states that the ship where Golem is is actually millennia old, despite being only a Corpus ship with some infestation pod. So maybe in the future, we will get new units that better reflects what the corrupted are (maybe some Grineer's ancestors, maybe the clones of some Grineer's ancestor). 

As for the relations between Tennos and Orokins, bite me. I'm guessing the Prime Warframe were used by the warriors of the Orokin to defend them from their enemies, while modern Tennos are an imitation by a race that inherited some fragments of the Orokin's knowledge and copied the primes as well as they could. 

I think that's gameplay/story segregation, you can notice that Lotus outright states that the ship where Golem is is actually millennia old, despite being only a Corpus ship with some infestation pod. So maybe in the future, we will get new units that better reflects what the corrupted are (maybe some Grineer's ancestors, maybe the clones of some Grineer's ancestor).

That has more to do with the limitations of DE not having all of the resources yet to make ships look more infested. If the live streams are anything to go off of this should be fixed before the game is officially released.

As for the relations between Tennos and Orokins, bite me. I'm guessing the Prime Warframe were used by the warriors of the Orokin to defend them from their enemies, while modern Tennos are an imitation by a race that inherited some fragments of the Orokin's knowledge and copied the primes as well as they could.

I meant no disrespect. I was simply giving my criticism of the large enemies being part of the void. Watching the trailer, the tenno were found in the void. This would indicate that the tenno are from the void, so it's not a far off to assume that anything natively in the void is on our side. Same goes for the turrets they are adding in the Void defense missions, they hurt the players but they are on our side and controlled by us.

Finally, and most important, you have a cool idea. I am just expressing that I don't feel it works in the void. I even offered up that it might make more sense on Infested missions. There is no need to get hostile, and I apologize for provoking such behavior from you.

I wasn't hostile, just stating I don't have a clue about Tenno/Orokin relations. Sorry if you got it the wrong way. And yeah, I do think DE has some limitation right now on resources, that much we agree. 

As for the presence of large enemies in the void, it makes sense if you think of them as automaton made by the Orokin. As far as they're concerned, their goal is to protect item X (an artifact, a weapon, an energy cell, or even a dormant warframe). Now, if any automaton has for goal to protect any object under their responsabilities, it would make sense that Tennos trying to steal such an item would be fair game for the automaton to attack, the Tenno is absolutely intruding on its territory and threatening the security of the item X. 

Now, if item X is a dormant warframe (prime or otherwise), it will just protect it, it's his item (or person) to be protected. That doesn't mean that another warframe has free reign to serve himself.

It's kinda like if an american man tried to steal a quantum computer owned by the government of the US. Sure, technically he would be allied with the government, but he has no business stealing that quantum computer. 

Kinperor, on 04 Jul 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

As for the presence of large enemies in the void, it makes sense if you think of them as automaton made by the Orokin. As far as they're concerned, their goal is to protect item X (an artifact, a weapon, an energy cell, or even a dormant warframe). Now, if any automaton has for goal to protect any object under their responsabilities, it would make sense that Tennos trying to steal such an item would be fair game for the automaton to attack, the Tenno is absolutely intruding on its territory and threatening the security of the item X.

It's kinda like if an american man tried to steal a quantum computer owned by the government of the US. Sure, technically he would be allied with the government, but he has no business stealing that quantum computer.

The only issue with this is that the Tenno wouldn't steal anything from the void. If anything, they would help have something not get stolen. Especially if that something is a warframe. The guardians should know the difference between any enemy and a Tenno operative.

Again, I like the idea of dormant enemies that are super powerful being essentially giant traps. That is awesome, and quite frankly would be a nice change to the either vacant and non-dynamic environments of warframe. It would give the players something to actively avoid.

What about the Stalker? He is/has a warframe too, should the guardians entrust Stalker on the basis that he is an (ex-)Tenno? You're exaggerating the knowledge and thinking capacity of the automaton I speak of, they can't determine if one intruder has any better intentions than the others, especially if they come through killing and pillaging everything in their way (like most Tennos do). Again with my example in modern setting, the first thought of a security seeing an unstable or aggressive man running and gunning people wouldn't be to determine whether the man is an ally or not, he would gun him down if possible.

I agree, giant enemy/trap mobs would be great, but I do think the idea can be applied to the void however.

Edited by Kinperor

The issue that I'm seeing here is Lore reasons for it. Let's let DE handle the Lore side of this and just stick to suggesting things:D?

*I'm not saying we shouldn't give ideas for Lore reasons, but let's not fight it out as we don't know the full extent of the Lore.

I agree, giant enemy/trap mobs would be great, but I do think the idea can be applied to the void however.

Also, that sentence makes little sense to me. :(

Do you mean "but I don't think"?

Agreeing and then using a a word to denote an incoming negative/argument isn't how I was taught English. Can I get an explanation?

Edited by Haldark

I mean two things:

1) I like the idea of giants in general. (Here I agree with the other poster)

2) I think the giants can be introduced in the Void realistically. (Here I politely disagree with the other poster)

Merci.

Any kind of giant enemy would be amusing,if not slightly scary/frustrating to fight.

Here's hoping DE likes this idea as much as we do.

Edited by Haldark

What about the Stalker? He is/has a warframe too, should the guardians entrust Stalker on the basis that he is an (ex-)Tenno? You're exaggerating the knowledge and thinking capacity of the automaton I speak of, they can't determine if one intruder has any better intentions than the others, especially if they come through killing and pillaging everything in their way (like most Tennos do).

In this setting though, Artificial Intelligence has presumably already been developed and implemented. Basically, the "automaton" can think and determine friend from foe. Even something as simple as an RFID chip in a suit would be enough to stop an automaton. Anyway, I'm sure there is a way to have a void guardian. It might just be a corrupted on, that is malfunctioning (I'm sorry for being so closed minded I didn't even consider that).

My point is that the tenno are, as far as anything in-game or any developer has said, allies with or just are the Orokin. It seems strange to me that anyone would build a security system in a future where exo-skeleton (possibly organic) power armor exists and not have that system be able to tell friend from foe.

Again, that is me picking apart a minor point and not looking at the actual subject. A giant, super-powered enemy would at least be a nice change of pace and more likely be an awesome encounter to play.

+1 to you sir for thinking of something that is new and refreshing. :)

Its more likely that the orokin abandoned the void and this was some kind of self defense. Corrupted itself already means that there is something wrong with them. They havent fought for the orokin. They have been trapped and altered by the void itself.

As I understand it corrupted refers to the control mechanisms in the void being corrupted and turning the guards within the tower against the tenno. This doesn't necessarily mean that the animated statues would be any less corrupted. Unless maybe they are autonomous in which case maybe when you go into the ziggarut and activate them they start annihilating the corrupted for you. Which would be just as awesome.

Developers if you do decide to make a trap in the void that releases hostile enemies on people, Pretty please make sure that this does not bug out Extermination missions to the point where you have to kill all the mobs in the traps lol. Just trying to avoid future complications :)