Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Im learning surviving with Frost on lvl 100+ missions. Any tips please?

Kronxito

Question

Forgive my bad english.

Ok, I always used Chroma because of his armor. But I really dont like to be a tank. I like wizards.

So, now there is Frost Prime available (I got it) and I felt excited because he is an armored ice wizard, defensive, balanced and useful for the team. So I am going with him using a CC build (ice wave impedance) and 75% armor reduction on avalanche.

But I cannot avoid completing lvl 100+ missions without dying. I usually do them with 0 or 1 death. Id like that to be always 0 (as I can do with my Chroma).

I think I got used to Chroma's playstyle and now I have to be more evasive, avoiding all enemy fire. I can do that well but if there spawns a hyekka master or a flamethrower and I dont realize of their presence.... I fall in less than 1 second.  And that makes me so angry....... aaaaarggg. 

I suppose I need more practice with my Frost. But if you could give me some tips about your experience you would make me happy :)

10 answers to this question

Basically at lvl 100 what you want to do is avoid enemy fire. You can do this in 2 ways: have some kind of invulnerability or buffer, or shut down sources of enemy damage.

Buffers fall off very fast, as enemies hit for one hit kills, but shutting down enemy damage scales really well. Your Avalanche and Ice Wave is therefore your friend. Your strategy should be to lay down globe for a short buffer and using that opportunity to shut enemies down by freezing them. 

Use the augment for Ice Wave to create zones that will slow enemies down to a crawl, which will also reduce their RoF and therefore dps against you and your globe. Use Avalanche to freeze and disable large groups of enemies.

You can also use globe offensively as a damage and CC tool: for 4s after casting it will be invulnerable, and it will push out enemies inside it when cast. If the pushed out enemies hit walls, they take massive damage that ignores armor. So if you find yourself in a narrow space, spamming globes will wipe out entire groups while you stay safe.

The augment for avalanche can work with this kind of build because you will be using 4 anyway, and the extra health you get from it just might save you from being one shot.

Remember to reflexively cast globe when you face enemies. Bombard+napalm rockets will not pierce globe, and it will give you breathing room by pushing them away.Once you have set up your globe, you should then use freeze/avalanche to shut the units around you down. Ice wave the areas around you to make slowing zones, and the use a strong weapon to pick enemies off at your leisure. If you need to go out of the globe but are feeling pressured, you can use avalanche to freeze them and then quickly get out, do what you need to do, and get back in.

You need range and efficiency for the CC build. Power strength is not important because you only want it for health in globe, and by spamming globe you can make up for the small power strength in your build. You want a large power pool to work with, so that you don't get drained dry immediately if you find energy leech eximi around you and can keep casting powers. You want vitality, steel fiber and quick thinking, which will help you survive lethal one hits and react before being hit further.

That's all I got atm. Feel free to fire away any questions you might have.

max range on globe and ice wzve will give you a 97% slow for anything in the radius of globe. Avalanche at that point is good for freezing and locking the map down so nothing moves outside of globe.  Avalanche might be closer to a 40% reduction but then again nothing is moving  so youve effectively increased the teams armor value in a sense.

Core powers for high levels are Avalanche and Snowglobe. If you're running solo, Max efficiency and range will win out overall. I like putting Steel Fiber and Vitality for solo builds.

For the mission: Find a corner to camp if you're doing survival. Recast snowglobe every 4 seconds (Snowglobe absorbs the damage and converts it to its HP for 4 seconds) a few times, just to get your HP buffer up. Defense and other endless missions are much the same way. Now, when it comes to other mission types, the game changes a bit. Avalanche and Ice wave start to stand out. Both offer CC, and slowed enemies have reduced accuracy. So bulletjump and other mobility tools help keep you alive, while you keep them slowed down. Having a bit more duration helps a ton here.

Well, if you're okay with just spamming slide attacks the whole game, that works very well for any level and any frame tbh, use orthos prime or telos boltace with primed reach and a maiming strike build, the thing with slide attacks is that all enemies just completely miss you 99% of the time even if you're just sliding right up to their face, and if u keep slide attacking to move between enemies, you barely even need to invest in defensive mods, as the only things that ever hit you are aoe's, this tactic also removes the issue of nullifiers and sapping ospreys on high levels, since the slide attacks will instantly take out all sappingo sprey aoe orbs, an u can easily just slide into a nullifier bubble and oneshot him, and enemeis jsut keep missing you.

tl;dr spam slide attack with orthos prime because enemies actually miss u 99% of the time while ur doing it.

Thx for everything. You are awesome, as always.

Then is it ok if avalanche only strips 40% armor? Ok I will adjust power strenght and try.

I will try range and efficiency.  I think I need duration too for freezing the floor with ice wave impedance. Or not?

Edited by ArionLightning

11 minutes ago, ArionLightning said:

Thx for everything. You are awesome, as always.

Then is it ok if avalanche only strips 40% armor? Ok I will adjust power strenght and try.

I will try range and efficiency.  I think I need duration too for freezing the floor with ice wave impedance. Or not?

Definitely, if you already have Range and Efficiency. However, I think the freeze time is determined by the Duration (?), which I imagine is incredibly low. 

You will find that it's not easy to survive in lvl 100 as a 'wizard' as you called it, as you are mostly dependent on teammates. One such frame will never be as good at surviving like a frame made specially for that. If you want a better caster, try Rhino or Mesa as tanks / casters.

On 20/12/2016 at 8:55 AM, Evanescent said:

Basically at lvl 100 what you want to do is avoid enemy fire. You can do this in 2 ways: have some kind of invulnerability or buffer, or shut down sources of enemy damage.

Buffers fall off very fast, as enemies hit for one hit kills, but shutting down enemy damage scales really well. Your Avalanche and Ice Wave is therefore your friend. Your strategy should be to lay down globe for a short buffer and using that opportunity to shut enemies down by freezing them. 

Use the augment for Ice Wave to create zones that will slow enemies down to a crawl, which will also reduce their RoF and therefore dps against you and your globe. Use Avalanche to freeze and disable large groups of enemies.

You can also use globe offensively as a damage and CC tool: for 4s after casting it will be invulnerable, and it will push out enemies inside it when cast. If the pushed out enemies hit walls, they take massive damage that ignores armor. So if you find yourself in a narrow space, spamming globes will wipe out entire groups while you stay safe.

The augment for avalanche can work with this kind of build because you will be using 4 anyway, and the extra health you get from it just might save you from being one shot.

Remember to reflexively cast globe when you face enemies. Bombard+napalm rockets will not pierce globe, and it will give you breathing room by pushing them away.Once you have set up your globe, you should then use freeze/avalanche to shut the units around you down. Ice wave the areas around you to make slowing zones, and the use a strong weapon to pick enemies off at your leisure. If you need to go out of the globe but are feeling pressured, you can use avalanche to freeze them and then quickly get out, do what you need to do, and get back in.

You need range and efficiency for the CC build. Power strength is not important because you only want it for health in globe, and by spamming globe you can make up for the small power strength in your build. You want a large power pool to work with, so that you don't get drained dry immediately if you find energy leech eximi around you and can keep casting powers. You want vitality, steel fiber and quick thinking, which will help you survive lethal one hits and react before being hit further.

That's all I got atm. Feel free to fire away any questions you might have.

To everybody: thank you.

With your tips I got my Frost build. Pure CC.  250% range, 175% efficiency, 125%(aproximate) duration, 40% strenght. And corrosive projection as aura.  No vitality or steel fiber needed because I can protect myself with my CC abilities.

Its much more comfortable now. Like Vauban but using ice and better protection thanks to the bubble (bastille cannot protect you from incoming fire). 

Thanks again. Now I have my wizard and I'm happy :-)

Edited by ArionLightning

Just now, ArionLightning said:

To everybody: thank you.

With your tips I got my Frost build. Pure CC.  250% range, 175% efficiency, 125%(aproximate) duration, 40% strenght. And corrosive projection as aura.  No vitality or steel fiber needed because I can protect myself with my CC abilities.

Its much more comfortable now. Like Vauban but using ice and better protection thanks to the bubble (bastille cannot protect you from incoming fire). 

Thanks again. Now I have my wizard and I'm happy :-)

Thx again for helping me to build my wizard :-)

Anytime, my friend.