Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why boost three types of damage?

DEATHLOK

Question

Sonicor%20with%203%20damage%20boosts_zps

I'm not sure why I do this. I've bumped Impact damage, but this gun doesn't throw enemies around the map the way it used to. And Impact effects Corpus, not Grineer or Infested. No idea about those Corrupted.

I've then added Radiation and Toxin.

Now, my understanding is that this gun will proc, but it will proc only once in a while. You can't raise that 0.0% Status.

So, I'm not adding these thinking I'll get a bunch of procs—at least, I hope I realized that when I built this. But I probably didn't realize it. I just followed someone's recommendation.

What I'm wondering is if I wouldn't do better maximizing a single damage type. Four mods concentrated on a single damage type yield decent numbers. Would that boost the damage this gun does, and would the rare procs that happen be more effective?

Maybe the Impact was thrown on there to add to the stagger effect? But is the innate Impact damage sufficient?

Still, it's my favorite pistol. A real life saver.

Maybe this should always do Blast plus Corrosive, Radiation, or Magnetic? I suppose Magnum Force will provide a boost, but I will end up adding yet another Forma....

Thanks!

Edited by DEATHLOK

7 answers to this question

With a 0% status chance, there will be no procs of any kind from my understanding, just like 0% crit will result in no crits occurring.

The reason why you do boost impact damage though is because each element and status damage will still deal damage, and each element and status type will also have their own effect. Impact will stagger, fire will cause a D.O.T., etc. However, each damage type (impact, radiation, etc.) will also deal more or less damage to each type of enemy. When it shows damage numbers it's the total combined damage that each damage type gave to that enemy. Each damage is calculated separately though, so the resistances can be calculated. So for example: 

Corpus Crewman:

60 Flesh (scaling added afterwards)

- Flesh (the red health) will take from your build

• 25% less damage from all impact damage sources
  • 50% more damage from all toxin damage sources
  • normal damage from all radiation damage sources

150 Shield (scaling added afterwards)

• 50% more damage from all impact damage sources
  • 25% less damage from all radiation damage sources

This means from one shot of the staticor, each damage type will be calculated based off the resistances and the type of damage it is dealing. That taken into effect, each damage type has special properties, for example, toxin will bypass having to damage shields, and will thus damage health/armor instead directly.

With this said, you want to buff the damage of all damage types. This current build is an all round build, that should work for all factions. So by buffing all the separate damage types, you can increase the total damage you will deal to all factions.

Does this help?

Welp, I'm the retard in the comments, but my Sonicor is just modded for more range (projectile speed), fire rate, multishot, and viral. Every shot fired ragdolls the crap out of whatever it hits, and the viral proc's more often than not. Lol, it procs a status every shot, and that's with only 2 dual stat elemental mods on it, and the 2 multishot mods.

Maybe I'm just super lucky, or maybe my build just works for me. I don't kill lvl 100 gunners in 2 shots, but I can stop them from shooting entirely.

I still mod my Sonicor for Crit most the time.

The AoE has 10% x2 Crit and 25% status.

I personally don't like to mix elemental types. Sometimes like with Viral and Corrosive it's effective but very few weapons can make those damage types together. In most cases you're better off keeping it clean.

For a status setup Radiation/Viral combo with dual 60/60 mods and Primed Heated Charge works pretty well but other than that specific setup I prefer crit. and +% Impact is just about useless. even on a 100% Impact weapon. Quickdraw also does wonders for the handling of the weapon. Took me a long time to buckle and use it over a damage mod but no regrets. I would use 90%x2 + 60/60x2 if you don't mod for crit.

It's funny how you forget what you knew, in the constant tide of incoming information.

I needed Blast damage. It ragdolls enemies all over the place. Somehow, I forgot that along the way.

So that does Blast and Corrosive. I'm curious as to how to build around Radiation and Magnetic, and if that is even worthwhile.

I find Radiation better than Blast but that's preference.

Blast makes it more difficult to actually kill the enemy or allow your team to kill them. Radiation will still CC them and not knock them into the future.

There's not much point in Magnetic when you can just go Pure Toxic + Crit,

Status Gas might be good since it's an AoE weapon. I've never tried it.