The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Higher CPU and RAM use post-Gambit

DepressiveOgre

I've been seeing much higher CPU and RAM usage since the Glast Gambit. It's using about 50% (most of the time 30-40% but that's still a huge increase) of my CPU even when I'm not the host or occasionally while I'm relaxing in my Liset and It's using 4-5 gigs of RAM in my liset at max. Usually it's using 2-3 which still seems a bit high for a three room ship. As a result of the weird RAM and CPU usage I've started dipping frames (usually only to 40 at the lowest but considering I was getting 100fps average before this update it's still upsetting) after a period of absolutely flawless performance with my new graphics card. A weird note about the RAM usage is the in-game performance display looks normal while my Task Manager shows completely different numbers for memory usage. I'm about to try Verifying and Optimizing the game cache.

My specs are:

GTX 1060 6G
AMD FX 8350 4ghz
16G DDR3 RAM
500G Samsung SSD

I've booted some other game's to test them and I'm capable of getting a CONSTANT 120fps on every game in my steam library at max settings with no unusual CPU usage. I've benched and tested both my CPU and RAM and they're both checking out just fine. This is unique to Warframe.

EDIT: Verifying the game cache seems to have fixed my CPU and RAM usage BUT seems to have worsened my fps? I'm now getting an average of 70 with dips to 60 which is honestly okay but before I was getting an average of 112 with dips to 40. It's much less of a dip now but it's still a lower max fps. For reference I'm now getting 25-35% CPU use but that was with two Niduses in my game and me playing Nyx so I can get down with those numbers. My ram usage is about 1400MB in liset and 1800MB in game (again with two niduses and a Nyx so I'm SUPER okay with that performance) so those are both back to pre-gambit numbers but my fps got worse so i'm thinking about just starting a support ticket? On the other hand it's still totally playable and I feel like I could cut my losses there and be happy with what I've got. Now that I'm not dipping below my monitor's refresh rate it's not really noticeable.

Edited by projectrallus

Do you have more info, as in, something that is reproducible? 

From your description, there doesn't really appear to be anything wrong - With the exception of some plecebo of an apparent new GPU?

My system is very similar(included below), and what you've described is nothing inherently new. That performance description adequately describes warframes performance profile quite aptly. 

There is some uncertainty regarding performance drop-offs of the GTX1000 series GPU's which can be read up on here: 

However, it should be noted that Warframe isn't really GPU bound. If you have anything greater than a mid-tier GPU (which you do) you'll likely be CPU bound running the game at your native resolution, as someone who has an almost identical CPU, i can tell you with certainty that you are CPU limited.

My Specs for comparison:

Spoiler

GTX 970 OC
FX 8320 OC @4.5GHz
8GB RAM @1600Mhz
500GB Samsung Evo SSD

For a comparison of how my system runs:

Solo = 80-120+
4 man Squad = 70-90fps
4 man Squad (heavy power usage builds) = ~60fps (+/-30 depending on the situation in the mission with heavily stacked enemies bringing it down to lower numbers)

Just a heads up on how to read warframes in-game RAM meter:

7 hours ago, projectrallus said:

A weird note about the RAM usage is the in-game performance display looks normal while my Task Manager shows completely different numbers for memory usage.

What you see in-game is Warframe's exclusive memory heap from System RAM. What you see in Windows is Warframe + all the other 'things' used to make warframe run - Audio drivers, Graphics Drivers etc.

If the in-game meter is reporting an abnormally high value, chances are that Warframe is having issues with itself (easy fix for devs). If Windows is reporting an abnormally high value, 'Something' might be having an issue with Warframe (not so easy fix for devs). Generally, Warframe (its exclusive heap) will use anywhere from ~500MB of RAM for older tilesets, to just over 1GB of RAM for the newer, or more complex ones.

Edited by MillbrookWest

I've got a friend with the same CPU and an older GPU that gets an average of 180 fps so while I agree that my CPU is my system's bottleneck I think there is maybe also something wrong with this update.

Or maybe DE just doesn't know how to support pascal architecture yet which is fine they'll figure it out eventually.

EDIT: I checked out that topic you linked and I think that might be my culprit. I'm gonna try testing it first chance I get.

Edited by projectrallus