Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FPS help

Jophn

Question

So lately my fps on warframe has been getting worse and worse every day. When i first started about two weeks ago, I never had a problem with it, then the next week it became an occasional occurrence, now i am constantly getting around 20-30 when i was getting around 70-80. I have all my settings on medium, but when i change them all to low the fps is still the same. I was wondering if anyone had some tips with this, and yes my drivers are up to date. I have also tried running on directx 10 and disabled 64-bit and this has not helped at all. 

my specs:

GPU: Nvidia Geforce 920M

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz

Memory: 8.00 GB RAM

Current resolution: 1366 x 768, 60Hz

Driver version: 368.39

Edited by Jophn

8 answers to this question

2 Things. a 920 isn't really that powerful. Sure its a 900 series, but its the 2nd weakest.

Also, your running windows 8.  If I remember right, it can have a lot of issues with resource management. I think I remember seeing a lot of people complaining about fps and playability on multiple games with Windows 8

Either way, check to see if you have stuff downloading, and other programs in the background that are eating up processing power and RAM

your Drivers are very out of date. they're from June.
this is not necessarily the cause but that is quite outdated for a Video Driver.

which version of DirectX do you normally run Warframe in? you tried 10, but are you normally running in 9, or 11?

since it's been continually getting worse over a long period of time - how often do you shutdown your computer? is it never?
you're not running a Server. consumer Computers are not designed to run indefinitely.
when someone pings me and tells me that their Computer didn't explode despite never restarting for 6 months - that's nice, but you're wrong. sorry.

if you go to the Nvidia Control Panel, and 'Manage 3D Settings', make sure your dedicated GPU is set to be used for games.

3 minutes ago, PhoenixKing007 said:

and if its possible to change that?

technically, yes. adjust your Power Plan so that your Notebook always runs at highest performance, and doesn't disable anything.

note that.... your battery life will go down significantly. you may lose more than 50% of your Battery life changing this.

Edit:

1 minute ago, Stormandreas said:

2 Things. a 920 isn't really that powerful. Sure its a 900 series, but its the 2nd weakest.

(it is better than the iGPU, though)

Edited by taiiat

Just now, PhoenixKing007 said:

Hey @Phasedragon thanx for that info...happens to me too...would you know why thats the case and if its possible to change that? Thanks again :D

They draw too much power to run off the battery. You can only draw so much from a battery at one time, and if you exceed that they tend to explode. Safety features like this are put in place to prevent that from ever happening.

1 minute ago, taiiat said:

technically, yes. adjust your Power Plan so that your Notebook always runs at highest performance, and doesn't disable anything.

note that.... your battery life will go down significantly. you may lose more than 50% of your Battery life changing this.

I've never seen this be the case, and I've tried doing it specifically on several gaming laptops. It might be different on those with lower power requirements, though, especially as low as the 920M.

18 minutes ago, taiiat said:

your Drivers are very out of date. they're from June.
this is not necessarily the cause but that is quite outdated for a Video Driver.

Sorry, I put the wrong driver version its currently 376.33 . It does stay on a lot though so ill try turning it off for a while and see if that helps. 

Edited by Jophn

1 hour ago, Phasedragon said:

I've never seen this be the case, and I've tried doing it specifically on several gaming laptops. It might be different on those with lower power requirements, though,

are we talking about reduced battery life, or being able to run all of the components off the battery?

as while in the past high end MXM model GPU's may have possibly been above the capabilities of the battery, lower end model (including midrange mobile models) GPU's are absolutely usable off the battery.

and obviously battery life goes down a lot if you're running the dedicated GPU and not downclocking the Processor.

(with new Notebooks though, this should not longer be a problem - a Notebook with a 1080 will have much lower power consumption to deal with than even an entry level MXM GPU in the past! ergo why underclocked desktop Models are being put into Notebooks! glorious)

1 hour ago, Jophn said:

Sorry, I put the wrong driver version its currently 376.33 . It does stay on a lot though so ill try turning it off for a while and see if that helps. 

ah, okay.
it's always recommended, if you're not going to be using your Computer for a long period of time, like overnight or traveling or w/e - turn it off so that it reboots from time to time without impeding on your using of it.