Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Steam Backup

Ghost_1302

Question

I play warframe on steam and I tried to make a backup of all my steam games but when I got to warframe I got a notification saying warframe needs to update first and then steam started downloading 15GB, which is basically the whole game, why? Is there another way to backup warframe? Im switchng to a new pc and I dont want to have to download it from over.

7 answers to this question

It does it always and is very annoying when you get thought of wanting to play on another PC...

Of course you remember why backup is so old after clicking 'backup my game files' but then it's too late as whole game is needed to download again...

Maybe it's a feature or something :/

Edited by hr18

Is the copy of Warframe on your old computer the latest or one of the more recent update?  Did you copy that AND the Steam manifest for Warframe (appmanifest_230410) to your new computer?  That manifest is essential and without it Steam is going to redownload the entire game on your new computer even if you already have the latest update in your hard drive.

We have multiple computers at home and I copy huge updates from one computer to another all the time so we don't waste bandwidth or time.

21 hours ago, xiaodenden said:

Is the copy of Warframe on your old computer the latest or one of the more recent update?  Did you copy that AND the Steam manifest for Warframe (appmanifest_230410) to your new computer?  That manifest is essential and without it Steam is going to redownload the entire game on your new computer even if you already have the latest update in your hard drive.

We have multiple computers at home and I copy huge updates from one computer to another all the time so we don't waste bandwidth or time.

Yes I had the latest update of warframe. I went to steam -> backup and restore games -> backup currently installed programs -> warframe. I dont understand why my pc (the old one) now wants to re-download the whole game. How do I copy the app manifest?

Edited by Ghost_1302

1 hour ago, Ghost_1302 said:

Yes I had the latest update of warframe. I went to steam -> backup and restore games -> backup currently installed programs -> warframe. I dont understand why my pc (the old one) now wants to re-download the whole game. How do I copy the app manifest?

Hmmm, I've never used backup and restore function of Steam before, but I'm reading this page about Steam Backup and it says that games that use third party installers and downloaders will not work with steam's backup feature.  I wonder if that's the reason why your old PC wants to redownload Warframe.  Maybe someone who has used Steam backup along with WF can provide some answers or explanations.  I haven't bothered with backup and restore function of Steam because I haven't had the chance of moving stuff to a brand new computer and my Steam library is tiny.

When I want to move a game (or games) from one computer to another, I copy folder with the game I want (should be under steam>steamapps>common) and the app manifest related to the game (under steam>steamapps>).  That's it.

Sorry I can't be more of a help, but I hope you find the solution soon.  Good luck!