Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Riven mods - raw damage or multishot?

BeGaDaButcher

Question

10 answers to this question

I'd go for the Multishot. It's a bit larger than the bonus you get from Split Chamber, whereas the second one is a bit smaller than the bonus you get from Serration.

Scratch that. Just did the math, and the +damage actually gives, like, 3% more overall damage (without taking elements or crits into account). Honestly, just go with whichever element combo you find more convenient; the damage difference is negligible.

Edited by SortaRandom

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)Cash201293 said:

I would suggest going over to the Warframe builder to try out the build with the different Riven stats to see which provide more dmg than the other. That what I use. It gives you an idea of the dmg you do.

oh snap! I did not know warframe builder supports rivens now. Ill head over now.

Cheers all!

25 minutes ago, BeGaDaButcher said:

Howdy SortaRandom,

Thanks for that! If I may ask, how did you do the calculations? I am always second guessing my rerolls and would love to be able to crunch the numbers.

Thanks!

I'm assuming your weapon already has a maxed Serration (+165% base damage) and Split Chamber (+90% multishot) equipped.

Basically, your overall damage multiplier (very, very simplified version) is just "DamageMult = (1 + Additional Base Damage) * (1 + Multishot) * (1 + Elemental Bonuses) * (Other multipliers from other sources)". So, if you have Serration, Split Chamber, and your Igni-Geliata equipped, then your resulting multiplier from base damage alone (i.e. completely ignoring elementals, crits, and all other sources of extra damage) will be:

DamageMult = (1 + 1.65 + 1.51) * (1 + 0.90) = 7.904x.
That is, your weapon's damage (before elementals and crits and stuff) will be multiplied by 7.904x.

On the other hand, slapping on your Vexi-Ignican instead would give:

DamageMult = (1 + 1.65) * (1 + 0.9 + 0.992) = 7.664x. Which is about 3% less than the first one.

So overall, not a large difference. The second one will completely remove your weapon's ability to crit, which will pull down the damage by a bit, but the slightly-stronger elementals will help offset this just a little. What's more important is which mod will give you a more desirable elemental combo in a final build.

EDIT: Oh, I completely forgot about Status chance.
Yeah, as Xzorn said below, Multishot is very helpful for getting consistent status procs (which are the bread and butter of non-crit weapons at high levels).

Edited by SortaRandom

10 minutes ago, BeGaDaButcher said:

oh snap! I did not know warframe builder supports rivens now. Ill head over now.

Cheers all!

I would use builder as a simple reference. it will not tell you some important information that you kinda need to calculate yourself.

For instance even though the 2nd mod is 2-3% more damage. The mulishot mod gives considerably more status probability per shot 51.2% Vs. 37.6% and therefor more status per second. Since Karak is primarily a status weapon it's even better. Status trigger per shot is one of the reasons multishot beats other stats regardless of the paper DPS.

The first mod also uses Electric / Heat damage which is more universally useful than Cold / Heat. Most notably the Electric gives more Corrosive proc weight for dealing with heavy armor which is what high status weapons are best at.