Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

CPU Help

SquidCompatriot

Question

Is there a way to overclock http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03005744 this computer without added cooling and be able to handle my gtx 750 on warframe (games like Dying Light work fine with other people, but I have been told and have experienced Warframe being more CPU intensive)?  And if so, what would be the best way of achieving that.  I get ~30 fps in squads when I should be getting 60+.

Edited by SquidCompatriot

12 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, SquidCompatriot said:

Is there a way to overclock http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03005744 this computer without added cooling and be able to handle my gtx 750 on warframe (games like Dying Light work fine with other people, but I have been told and have experienced Warframe being more CPU intensive)?  And if so, what would be the best way of achieving that.  I get ~30 fps in squads when I should be getting 60+.

2.4 GHz  is slow for cpu's now days. top ends hit 4.7 + 

also check it is actually using your 750 not your cpu's built in graphics

I would advise against overclocking your CPU if you use a stock cooler. Stock coolers are meant to cool your CPU running at stock speeds. Overclocking your CPU can, if you don't know what you're doing, be disastrous and result in frying or damaging your CPU.

Also, you should avoid trying to overclock OEM PCs (PCs bought pre-built from major companies like HP, Dell, etc). These PCs will rarely, if ever have the necessary hooks installed to properly overclock your processor in a safe and proper manner (i.e. motherboards specifically designed to overclock processors have all the necessary hooks as well as built in safeguards for overclocking & testing)

If you're looking for a bit extra processing bandwidth, try unparking your CPU cores instead.

1 minute ago, Letter13 said:

I would advise against overclocking your CPU if you use a stock cooler. Stock coolers are meant to cool your CPU running at stock speeds. Overclocking your CPU can, if you don't know what you're doing, be disastrous and result in frying or damaging your CPU.

Also, you should avoid trying to overclock OEM PCs (PCs bought pre-built from major companies like HP, Dell, etc). 

If you're looking for a bit extra processing bandwidth, try unparking your CPU cores.

Could you tell me how?

9 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

I made a thread/guide to unparking CPU cores a long time ago, it can be found here:

So unparking cores won't add too much heat?  I've seen it doesn't help my AMD one as much, have you experienced that?

Edited by SquidCompatriot

15 minutes ago, SquidCompatriot said:

So unparking cores won't add too much heat?  I've seen it doesn't help my AMD one as much, have you experienced that?

Unparking your cores may add some additional heat, but it doesn't change the voltages or overclock your processor (which is what can cause processor instability). All it does is allow more cores to be used at once, and prevents Windows from idling your cores. 

I don't use AMD so I can't vouch for how well it works on AMD CPUs, but I do know that it works wonders on Intel.

2 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

Unparking your cores may add some additional heat, but it doesn't change the voltages or overclock your processor (which is what can cause processor instability). All it does is allow more cores to be used at once, and prevents Windows from idling your cores. 

I don't use AMD so I can't vouch for how well it works on AMD CPUs, but I do know that it works wonders on Intel.

And one more question, does it need to be done after every reboot?

1 hour ago, SquidCompatriot said:

UPDATE:  It doesn't really do anything, and I set my power plan to high performance, is there more I need to do?

If you've scanned & unparked your cores, there's not much else you can do aside from closing background applications/programs. Sorry.

Most consumer PCs from vendors won't even allow you to overclock the CPU, as it requires fiddling with BIOS settings and hardware configurations for the CPU which cannot typically be done inside the OS. That, and overclocking hardware not meant for overclocking could result in damaging your hardware.