Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limbo's Rift Roll & Banish

PsiWarp

So I heard devs have a working version of Limbo's Rick Rift Roll for his upcoming rework revisit. It does several things from the vague descriptions of it on the Devstreams:

1. It's a new passive for Limbo that takes him into and out of the Rift Plane.
  2. When Limbo rolls, he uses a special animation to teleport a short distance. Don't know about backflipping though.
  3. It probably is timed like Rift Walk, so you can't AFK in the rift all mission. But unlike Rift Walk, it is a passive ability so mods likely will not affect its duration.

In short, Limbo can enter/exit the rift by maneuvering, giving him fluid transitions between planes without the interruption to movement and weapon firing because of long casting animations.

What I'd like to know is: can Banished teammates get this perk as well? Rolling is an integral part of playing with a Limbo in your squad, and since people try to exit the rift any chance they get (or just accidentally), this extra bit of distance via teleporting would be a nice incentive for players to want to be banished.

I'm also gonna be bold and ask, can Banish on teammates work almost exactly like Limbo's new Rift Roll? As in, roll and backflip doesn't cancel Banish anymore, instead teammates can do those actions to toggle themselves in/out of the rift (but the timer still counts down). Combine this toggling with teleporting, and you have a great mobility buff on top of pseudo-invulnerability and passive energy regen, as well as solving the pickup/object problem (though Cataclysm needs changes too). Of course, I expect there to be some drawback or balance factor to keep Banish from being an extremely OP buff, something like greatly reduce duration of the buff each time you roll.

Lastly, can we get some visual indication so people know to roll? Floating text that says "Roll to exit Rift", and/or better yet, when you get Banished by Limbo, play a special animation that is only visible to you; basically a clone afterimage of your frame will roll in front of you then disappear. If you as a player sees that, won't you try rolling as well?

What do you guys think?

If they are indeed removing rift walk in place of making him rolling (or as I'd prefer ONLY backflipping, since no one EVER uses that for anything and rolling is VITAL for moving around in parkour 2.0 and would become insanely annoying very quickly) I'd actually be ok with it. I suppose I should say at this point that I really REALLY REAAALLY like Limbo as he as now and find him nearly perfect outside of his very obvious issues (mostly with trolling potential). It really would help a lot to make his mechanic more fluid and natural, and remove the energy cost from it that just feels strange to have in the first place for entering a place that gives you free energy... It'd also free up a slot for a new skill. The only thing I don't like about it is that my concept for a rift-walk rework was that it would leave behind a "tear" that teammates could enter at will. Sure it could still do the same thing with a backflip passive version but it'd feel a bit strange.

I'm having faith in scott to figure the rest out. If he could think of this I'm sure he can solve everything else.

I'll say these things one more time. What Limbo's rework ABSOLUTELY needs to be successful is:

• The ability to pick up things inside of cataclysm. If something is inside the rift with you- there is no longical reason you should not be able to grab it. More than anything this eliminates 90% of trolling potential.
  • #1 thing this rework needs is some sort of QoL for working with teams. My suggestion above was a rift tear that allies could enter THEMSELVES that requires no micromanagement by a Limbo. The reason most people hate Limbo is the same reason most people hate Magnetize. It's a plain annoyance in squads as it interferes with what you are doing. If Limbo's rework had a way for allies to not only EXIT rift of their own accord but be able to easily work with Limbo by entering the rift such as my "rift tear" suggestion would, it would greatly reduce the amount of annoyance and difficulty teams have working with their Limbo. I'm of the belief that if you run Limbo you should dedicate yourself to working WITH your team, but it's very stressful in PUG missions and if it can be removed it should- it's just good game design to do so.
  • Keeping the current feel that Limbo has. His fanbase isn't very large, but it is VERY dedicated. It is possible to make Limbo more accessible and loved by many more people without ruining it for the people that already do. The major things keeping people from using Limbo are his trolling potential and difficulty to use with a team- and the stress even when you do.

Final note: I believe I heard on stream they are considering turning him into more of a "TIME AND space frame" as opposed to the "space" frame he currently is. I'd personally considered that a couple times in the past since there's just not enough to make a plain time frame that everyone has seemed to want for so long, but please Scott- be careful what you choose. Time based skills in video games have so much potential to be clunky to the point of unusable, exceedingly difficult to balance, or plain overly-gimmicked/boring.

EDIT: Oh, and to OP. In regards to the "afterimage" rolling in front of you- for the first time that would be great but eventually it would become nothing more than an unnecessary visual obstruction/annoyance. Another solution is very preferable.

Edited by Stratego89
Forgot something.