Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My take on Solo Infested Salvage

(XBOX)Siniztah

Hello wonderful devs at DE!

I know it has been a while since the Glast Gambit launched on pc, so you have probably had all the feedback you can take about Infested Salvage, but being as I am an Xbox Tenno I wanted to give you my perspective on it.

First I would like to say that I have mainly played this mission solo, because I mainly play everything solo, but I have played a bit of multiplayer. I Would also like to tell you on the off chance you have time to read this, that infested salvage is without a doubt my favorite tier 3 mission type to solo. It is fast-paced, exciting, and fun (things that interception and defense are lacking a bit)! I like this gametype so much, that this may be where I go to find the two higher tiers of relic permanently.

That said, as you know, there are two map types for the Mission and this is where my opinion becomes divergent.

Map layout 1 (the triangle):

The 'y' shaped or triangular map, to me, is an example of perfect level desgin; concise, appropriately paced, and to the point. There are just enough obstacles to where you can't blindly fly from objective to objective, but no so many as to become overwhelming and frustrating. The terrain is also easy to traverse for the infested, guaranteeing (at least in solo play) a good distribution of needed pickups.

Map layout 2 (multi-level):

Where layout 1 embodies everything I want in a level design, layout 2 is like... the Rosemary's baby of level design. I mean I know I am not an experienced game developer, but I don't understand how the two choices for this level are textbook perfection, or monstrosity that should have been rejected. The problems with this layout are numerous: It is extremely difficult because of the overall shape of the map to get from objective to objective. Elements of the tileset block you from jumping altogether. The z-axis from bottom to top is far too high to be able to travel quickly (even during the few moments when you are unobstructed). The bubbles from the vaporizers, due to their coloration and opacity, make it impossible to aim a jump regardless. The enemies eeven have trouble traversing the map, choking the player for resources. The whole thing is really just an absolute mess.

I have only, as I said, played a little bit of group on this level, and I find that even on the triangle layout resources can be stretched a little thin between players. This aside, it was just as pleasant of an experience as solo play.

To conclude, Half of the available map layouts are half ruining the enjoyment of my new favorite gameptype for solo play. That aside thank you so much for all of your hard work and unwavering dedication your amazing project of a game!

The nice map is near-mythical. I've seen it 3 times. On the other hand the multilevel hellspawn map I've seen so often I absolutely hate the bloody thing. I finally finished farming my Nidus and I won't go back unless my clanmates need help to farm Nidus parts themselves because the teeny tiny chance of the not-terrible map isn't worth it.

20 hours ago, Zendadaist said:

The nice map is near-mythical. I've seen it 3 times. On the other hand the multilevel hellspawn map I've seen so often I absolutely hate the bloody thing. I finally finished farming my Nidus and I won't go back unless my clanmates need help to farm Nidus parts themselves because the teeny tiny chance of the not-terrible map isn't worth it.

And this, my friend, proves merely that map selection is random. During my 14ish games of salvage about 5 took place on the-map-that-shall-not-be-named. It's just that those 5 games were frustrating enough to make me write this post... and yell about clipping and useless level clutter textures to myself a little.