Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Crit Boar? (Yep, Riven)

ThorienKELL

Question

So I've got pretty nice riven for boar, would prefer status tbh but this one is unusually good /in it's own way;

+161% critical chance

+251% damage

-29% damage to corpus

Now I'm not mathematician but I like to think I have pretty good hunch on the damage mechanics in game, this is the build I've came up with;

steam screenshot, boar

Alternatives;

Blunderbus (+ crit chance) this would raise my crit chance to 52,6% (+13% increase) I'm still considering is it worth it and what to swap out. Remember, this build doesn't allow replacing either damage/status mod without more forma. 

Shrapnel shot raises my crit multiplier for +2, after each kill. This imo gets more damage then blunderbus. 

Laser sight (+120% crit chance on headshot) is imo non consistent and not worth it.
Constant headshot bonus is harder to maintain then most ppl realize. 

And if you've wondered - no, third half status mode wouldn't raise procc chance to 100, but even now, with great fire rate 40ish percent proc chance is not trivial, this is after all rapid fire weapon. 

So, what would you change? 

Edited by ThorienKELL

4 answers to this question

I don't like it that much. Personally i wouldn't consider running a non 100% Boar - though it rather depends on your personal level cap, if it's Sorties that build should work - i would only get punchthrough in there somewhere, for example in place of shrapnel shot.

If you're serious about going longer though i would personally do something like this:

Your Riven, hell's chamber, primed ravage, seeking fury, 4 status elementals for corrosive+blast.

You could swap out seeking fury for primed point blank but ppb only gives you a +45% damage increase while seeking fury can give you as mich as +200%, and generally at least +100%.

i run 100% status boar..seeking fury+blaze..and i use banshee to improve dmg..  haveing 100% will ensure to each shot every time proc status that will  be huge advenage if u doing high lvl...seeking fury will give u lot dps overall+..  help a bit with reload.... boar prime have pretty high recoil and high spread...   u will lose lot dmg if u go for crit build..cz u cant affor to stend in front of heavy gunner... and aim for head... its up to u... this is my boar prime build primed point blank.hell chamber.seeking fury.blaze.4x status element...with this build i played odd 100 waves...if u have problems with ammo swap blaze for primed shotgun ammo mutation...tend to be max 15 meter from mobs.. cz all over that   u will lose lot dmg due to high spread..

Edited by ashrah

On 2/4/2017 at 7:53 PM, ThorienKELL said:

And if you've wondered - no, third half status mode wouldn't raise procc chance to 100, but even now, with great fire rate 40ish percent proc chance is not trivial, this is after all rapid fire weapon. 

So, what would you change? 

Even if your third 60/60 dual elemental/status mod raised it to a listed 100% with the multishoot boost, it wouldn't be proccing on every pellet because of rounding issues. This has been explored numerous times and is a very common misconception:

Having said that, if you want to get both critical and status at the same time you're going to have to use all 4 60/60s, along with mandatory Primed Point Blank and Hell's Chamber. That leaves your Riven and Primed Ravage to make use of the boosted critical chance.

I personally don't like building shotguns for critical because you'll get much more leverage out of using damage + multishot rivens; for those shotguns sitting at the 25-30% base status range, a strong disposition and a good status stat on a Riven can save you the trouble of having to use mod slots on 60/60s (e.g. Kohm, Boar Prime, Strun Wraith). This applies only if you're always gunning for a 100% status chance (note: this 100% status must be achieved before multishot is applied).

If you really don't want to reroll that riven, and insist on sticking to a critical build, I'd simply advise dropping status chance altogether and just modding for pure damage with 90% elementals. You could mix and match the mods yourself to see if Laser Sight / Blunderbuss can offer even more dps considering that once you're adding a 3rd 90% elemental and onwards you get diminishing returns on damage in terms of percentage. Status is no longer important since that listed 90.7% chance you have currently actually translates to 11.3% status chance per pellet, which is pretty low. Leaving it at its base of 3.89% per pellet wouldn't be much of a difference. For how to calculate status chance per pellet you can read through all the detailed responses in the forum link posted above.

EDIT: Just copied the relevant mathematical formula from the post using Azrael's phrasing here -

Spoiler

If we have a P chance to proc status per pellet (meaning each pellet has P status chance), we fire N pellets, and we have an overall status chance of S (per shot), then we can work out what S is depending on what P and N are. The chance of a pellet not proccing is 1-P, and the chance of N pellets not proccing is (1-P)^N. This means the quantity (1-P) is raised to the Nth power. For example, if P is 10% and N is 5, the chance of all 5 pellets not proccing is (1-0.1)^5 = 0.9^5 = 0.59

Now if we want to know the chance of getting at least one status proc, we just subtract that number from 1, giving us the formula 1 - (1-P)^N. Since S is the status chance per shot, we can see that S is defined as:   S = 1 - (1-P)^N

My two cents.

Edited by InsomnIaC.

TY but this post is now obsolete. In meantime I've swapped two rivens;

One that gave me massive Heat, Cold and Damage bonus (like 120% cold, 120% heat 190% damage) but removed impact. This one was surprisingly sturdy and gave me 11,57K damage per shot with 100% proc chance, for some reason -impact was less problematic then expected. Later I've sold it for 450p iirc.

Now I have close to perfect roll, +damage, +multishot and +damage to corpus. Around 12K damage also 100% status on my boar pushes this thing to sortie grade gun, it kills heavy gunner on lvl 110 in 10-ish shots /half of magazine. 

But now that you've mentioned 100% proc needed before multishot I may revisit my weapon builds yet again. But not that they lack too much hitting power. Kohm was too powerful for standard lvl 100 h. gunner test so I had to use lvl 130 corrupted h. gunner, I doubt that there are many stronger guns in game atm.