Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bring back planetary survival

Somb3rBivalve

As many of you know, survival used to be present on planets and tilesets that had air, like Earth's and Mars' tilesets. Eventually, these survival nodes were removed in favor of the new game mode, excavation. I think some of the reasoning was that these tilesets had breathable air and therefore life support wasn't really a thing. Personally, I think that both survival and excavation should exist on these tilesets to improve the diversity of the game.

To me, the argument about life support not existing on these tilesets was kind of silly. You could easily say that the grineer/corpus/infested are releasing toxic gas clouds into the atmosphere, and life support keeps the gas from killing you. Also, survival is basically my favorite game mode to play when I just want to play the game because it's open ended so I can just run around and shoot stuff, and I don't have to defend anything. As a result, I play tilesets that don't have survival significantly less than tilesets that do have it.

Again, I don't want excavation to be removed. It's a cool game mode and it's how we get cryotic. I just want survival to make a return alongside existing excavation nodes on these tilesets because there's no real reason why it shouldn't, and it improves game mode diversity.

Some changes would have to be for example adding planetary bombardments that you have to take cover from or some other survival thing. Perhaps health or energy vampire mode as a preset instead of life support capsules we have heath or energy caches? 

Edited by -Akeva-Banshee-

On 2/12/2017 at 3:28 PM, -Akeva-Banshee- said:

Some changes would have to be for example adding planetary bombardments that you have to take cover from or some other survival thing. Perhaps health or energy vampire mode as a preset instead of life support capsules we have heath or energy caches? 

Honestly, I'd rather have it function exactly as it does already (obviously with poison gas being used as a reason for life support). We all know how it works, and while bombardments would be cool, that would be more work on DE's part. In addition, health/energy vampire mode should be reserved for nightmare missions. If they were in normal missions, no one would ever play them because there is no extra incentive.

Edited by Somb3rBivalve
clarification about "exactly"

My grain of sand here:

Planetary Survival:

-Uses Defense and Interception tilesets.

-Enemy forces gain level twice as fast as Space Survival

-There is no Life Support.

-Every Rotation C a mini-boss shows up (actually the pre-rework bosses with a paintjob)

-These can be Invasions and Crossfire missions too.

1 hour ago, Somb3rBivalve said:

Honestly, I'd rather have it function exactly as it does already (obviously with poison gas being used as a reason for life support). We all know how it works, and while bombardments would be cool, that would be more work on DE's part. In addition, health/energy vampire mode should be reserved for nightmare missions. If they were in normal missions, no one would ever play them because there is no extra incentive.

Again that was just an example not that they should acutely add it just hoping it would stimulate ideas

On 2/13/2017 at 4:47 PM, Nazrethim said:

My grain of sand here:

Planetary Survival:

-Uses Defense and Interception tilesets.

-Enemy forces gain level twice as fast as Space Survival

-There is no Life Support.

-Every Rotation C a mini-boss shows up (actually the pre-rework bosses with a paintjob)

-These can be Invasions and Crossfire missions too.

Not a bad idea, but really, I'd rather survival be implanted into planetary missions just the way it is (with poison gas or something as a different reason for life support)

I'd rather it not use the defense and interception tilesets because part of the reason I made this post is because with most of the planetary tilesets, I rarely every get to properly play on these tilesets. Most of the time I just figure out how to rush through these rooms as fast as I can on non-endless missions (you could make a case for excavation incorporating what I want, but really, I think we spent most of the time in excavation camping in a frost globe on the excavators; I want something different). Making planetary survival would allow me to properly play the game in these tilesets without something to defend, which is much of the reason why I think survival is warframe's best game mode.

As for the lack of life support, what's the objective when you take life support away? What are players trying to do?

For increasing enemy scaling, that's kind of subjective, but I think scaling in warframe already feels very exponential in higher end content. Making it scale any faster would make the player feel like they are hitting a brick wall in terms of scaling at a certain point in the mission.

For mini-bosses, I like this idea. Mini bosses like corrupted vor spice up the game so you aren't doing the same old stuff all the time.

13 minutes ago, Somb3rBivalve said:

Not a bad idea, but really, I'd rather survival be implanted into planetary missions just the way it is (with poison gas or something as a different reason for life support)

Yes, but that doesn't make much sense. They may as well blast us with capital ships in orbit and call it a day. Making sense is somewhat required.

Let me think... what if:

The enemy tries to blast the area with orbital strike, but they need to pin point our location, we have so much time until they do, but we can use special beacons (actually LS capsules) to temporarily "jam" their targeting temporarily (adding time to the survival meter). Does that make sense to you more than "we are going to impractically fill a continent sized area with gas" ?

I'd rather it not use the defense and interception tilesets because part of the reason I made this post is because with most of the planetary tilesets, I rarely every get to properly play on these tilesets. Most of the time I just figure out how to rush through these rooms as fast as I can on non-endless missions (you could make a case for excavation incorporating what I want, but really, I think we spent most of the time in excavation camping in a frost globe on the excavators; I want something different). Making planetary survival would allow me to properly play the game in these tilesets without something to defend, which is much of the reason why I think survival is warframe's best game mode.

Well, it could be a randomly generated thing, or even better, just add the Defense/Interception tilesets to the generation of Survival. They could serve as root nodes from which several branches spread. Would be a welcome feature for all gamemodes.

As for the lack of life support, what's the objective when you take life support away? What are players trying to do?

Already covered that. :3

For increasing enemy scaling, that's kind of subjective, but I think scaling in warframe already feels very exponential in higher end content. Making it scale any faster would make the player feel like they are hitting a brick wall in terms of scaling at a certain point in the mission.

Well, but thats' on a "no life support" gamemode, you try to SURVIVE, that means fighting tooth and nail vs the best the enemy can send.

For mini-bosses, I like this idea. Mini bosses like corrupted vor spice up the game so you aren't doing the same old stuff all the time.

And old pre-rework boss incarnations make for perfect mini-bosses.

7 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

The enemy tries to blast the area with orbital strike, but they need to pin point our location, we have so much time until they do, but we can use special beacons (actually LS capsules) to temporarily "jam" their targeting temporarily (adding time to the survival meter). Does that make sense to you more than "we are going to impractically fill a continent sized area with gas" ?

Well, it could be a randomly generated thing, or even better, just add the Defense/Interception tilesets to the generation of Survival. They could serve as root nodes from which several branches spread. Would be a welcome feature for all gamemodes.

Well, but thats' on a "no life support" gamemode, you try to SURVIVE, that means fighting tooth and nail vs the best the enemy can send.

And old pre-rework boss incarnations make for perfect mini-bosses.

Alright I take your point with the gas. My thinking with gas was that it would be easier for DE to implement because they wouldn't have to program explosions going off with a bombardment, but they could probably make it work either way. I agree though that logic-wise, it is more logical to bombard an area rather than gas it.

I also like the idea of defense/interception maps as part of normal map generation. More map variety is good.

As for the lack of life support, the game mode could work well and still be fun either way I guess.

Also, thanks for the feedback. New ideas and insights are always welcome:smile:

2 hours ago, Somb3rBivalve said:

Alright I take your point with the gas. My thinking with gas was that it would be easier for DE to implement because they wouldn't have to program explosions going off with a bombardment, but they could probably make it work either way. I agree though that logic-wise, it is more logical to bombard an area rather than gas it.

Well, they don't really need to, as soon as you reach 0% the Mission Failed just pops up and the screen goes black. Not precisely as epic sounding as an orbital bombardment but would work well.

2 hours ago, Somb3rBivalve said:

I also like the idea of defense/interception maps as part of normal map generation. More map variety is good.

As for the lack of life support, the game mode could work well and still be fun either way I guess.

Also, thanks for the feedback. New ideas and insights are always welcome:smile:

My pleasure. :)