Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Purple Damage

(PSN)diazmaurtua

Question

8 answers to this question

You're going to get a lot of answers telling you that it's Overshield damage.

Sadly, that's not true. If it were, we'd be seeing purple numbers every time we shoot an enemy with a Shield Osprey nearby. We'd also have found a way to reliably reproduce purple numbers in PVE, but we don't have one.

There's a chance that it's supposed to be Overshield damage, but simply fails to show up for whatever reason. But unless there's been some massive discovery that I missed out on, we don't know what it is yet.

Edited by SortaRandom

40 minutes ago, SortaRandom said:

Sadly, that's not true. If it were, we'd be seeing purple numbers every time we shoot an enemy with a Shield Osprey nearby. We'd also have found a way to reliably reproduce purple numbers in PVE, but we don't have one.

There's a chance that it's supposed to be Overshield damage, but simply fails to show up for whatever reason. But unless there's been some massive discovery that I missed out on, we don't know what it is yet.

I don't see the Shield Ospreys on Corpus sides giving enemies overshield, just extra blue shield. I get purple damage when a Guardian Eximus spawns which I believe gives overshield. I'd say its overshield.

51 minutes ago, SortaRandom said:

Fun Fact: Shield Ospreys don't actually provide overshields. They only increase shield capacity by a set amount (and that amount stacks for enemies, but not for players).

This can be observed because Inaros and Nidus don't benefit from overshield-boosting skills, but get shields from the Osprey Specters. 

And Ninja22678 above me is correct - Guradian Eximus do provide overshields.

Edited by TrickshotMcGee

8 hours ago, Ninja22678 said:

I don't see the Shield Ospreys on Corpus sides giving enemies overshield, just extra blue shield. I get purple damage when a Guardian Eximus spawns which I believe gives overshield. I'd say its overshield.

8 hours ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

Fun Fact: Shield Ospreys don't actually provide overshields. They only increase shield capacity by a set amount (and that amount stacks for enemies, but not for players).

This can be observed because Inaros and Nidus don't benefit from overshield-boosting skills, but get shields from the Osprey Specters. 

And Ninja22678 above me is correct - Guradian Eximus do provide overshields.

I've tested it in the Simalcrum before, and I tested it again just now-- Guardian eximus units don't give Overshields (i.e. purple shields), and hitting the "guardian'd" enemies after a healing pulse creates blue numbers, not purple.

Maybe it's just a bug where the Simalcrum-spawned Guardians give extra blue shields rather than true Overshields? I don't recall seeing any purple shields during Corpus Eximus Stronghold sorties, though, so I kind of doubt this (although it may just be my memory tricking me).

Edited by SortaRandom

10 hours ago, SortaRandom said:

I've tested it in the Simalcrum before, and I tested it again just now-- Guardian eximus units don't give Overshields (i.e. purple shields), and hitting the "guardian'd" enemies after a healing pulse creates blue numbers, not purple.

Maybe it's just a bug where the Simalcrum-spawned Guardians give extra blue shields rather than true Overshields? I don't recall seeing any purple shields during Corpus Eximus Stronghold sorties, though, so I kind of doubt this (although it may just be my memory tricking me).

It usually happens in small rooms and purple only appears once (Ember WoF), so perhaps they spawn with overshield which they then lose.

1 hour ago, Ninja22678 said:

It usually happens in small rooms and purple only appears once (Ember WoF), so perhaps they spawn with overshield which they then lose.

Hm, maybe. Sounds buggy, though.

So, to sum up my current understanding-- purple damage is overshield damage, but enemies won't give each other overshields (for whatever reason) unless bugs are involved?