Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross-play

(PSN)TeynKu

Question

5 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, (PS4)TeynKu said:

I don't know where to look or where to ask but is it possible to cross play between ps4 and pc, and if yes how do I do it?

Sadly this is impossible. This is mostly because cross-platform play requires both the console and the PC to be running identical versions of the game. Due to Certification (the process that Sony and Microsoft require all updates to go through prior to their release on their respective consoles) having this happen regularly is nigh on impossible for a game that changes as dynamically and often as Warframe.

Edited by Jeahanne

1 minute ago, Jeahanne said:

Sadly this is impossible. This is mostly because cross-platform play requires both the console and the PC to be running identical version of the game. Due to Certification (the process that Sony and Microsoft require all updates to consoles to go through prior to their release on their respective consoles) having this happen regularly is nigh on impossible for a game that changes as dynamically and often as Warframe.

And if we were to be cynical about it, like I am, Sony likely would never cert a cross-play program between a PC and the PS4 in fear that it might cause their customers to migrate away from their system. Why would you give people an avenue to move away from your product?

1 minute ago, Angrados said:

And if we were to be cynical about it, like I am, Sony likely would never cert a cross-play program between a PC and the PS4 in fear that it might cause their customers to migrate away from their system. Why would you give people an avenue to move away from your product?

I think (although this is just speculation on my part) this is why part of the agreements DE made with Sony and Microsoft included the detail that accounts can be migrated from PC to a console, but cannot ever go back from a Console to PC.

1 hour ago, Angrados said:

Sony actually HAS allowed cross-play with PC before. It died out pretty fast, but they did do a partnership with Steam when Portal 2 came out to allow steamworks functionality between PS3 and PC for some games. I don't know if they actually used it again for ANY game after Portal 2, though.

I think, uh... Rocket League also has had PS4-PC cross platform allowed for a long time.

...Certainly, though, it's very rare. And in Warframe's case the certification issue would remain pretty much insurmountable

Edited by OvisCaedo