Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Downgrading Your Mods

Voidpunker

So, you're so excited because you finally got reflex coil fully fused. You can't wait to put it on your Dual Heats until... you realize that it doesn't fit! many players balance their mods to be just how they like them, but then have to balance them differently for different weapons. Maybe you want to have reflex coil at rank 5 on one weapon, and rank 3 on another. This becomes really difficult with higher-rank mods because it becomes infeasible to make 2-3 copies of an almost fully fused serration mod.

So, why not let players downgrade their mods?

The idea works like this: No matter what level a mod is, you can always click on one of the mod rank bars to lower the mod to that rank. If you need it to be a higher rank, you just click a mod rank bar that's higher up until the one you fused it to. This way, you still have to go through the pain of fully ranking serration, but you can lower it's level if you need to to fit other mods in.

Cuz if you can downgrade, there is a lot of people will avoid buying forma=> less cha-ching=> Lotus will be sad.

DE have made their choice long ago, between downgrade-able mods, or introduce forma and break the balance between guns have polarized slot and guns which not.

They made a profit choice.

Edited by Hameln

+1

While the appeal sounds good, I'm sure there is some way to exploit that...

Have you tried forma?  Works wonders in that situation (assuming you've gotten it to rank 30).

Cuz if you can downgrade, there is a lot of people will avoid buying forma=> less cha-ching=> Lotus will be sad.

You both completely missed the point of this thread.

It's not just for mod rankings for weapons at level 30, it's for mod rankings on every weapon level. The system he's talking about would allow you to put that max rank Serration on your newly built weapon to give it a test run and see if you like it. If you keep with it, you can increase the Serration mod level until it's at a level you want. You're going to hit the cap sooner or later, and reducing the mod rank does nothing harmful to the purchasing of Forma. If you like the gun, Forma it, and make it twice as strong.

Edited by Kielix7

they have talked about letting players do this, but at a cost. and you would have to fuse mods into it again to get it back up.

best solution is to just level multiple mods to different ranks. just the ones you need a first, or in multiples of 2 or 3. then having a full set eventually. if you do it with just duplicates over time you will find yourself with various ranks of most things with ease.

this seems like alot of trouble but its only the highest ranks that take alot of work, lower ranks are a cakewalk at that point. and most mods only go up to rank 6 or so.

Couple live streams ago DE said they will probably allow us to downgrade mods, but it would be like effectively un-fusing for a cost without refunds because it was the players mistake in the first place if he over fused stuff.

I'm steadily maxing most mods and making a copy of that mod for every even drain just by fusing duplicates. I'm already done with most common mods and I'm using the extra copies to fuse with the rarer mods.

This has been suggested before. DE had a response in a livestream, but their idea on how to make it work was not what the community wanted, and they do not want to make them able to be downgraded temporarily. For the moment it looks like this is not going to happen, or will be done in such a way as to make using it only viable if you do not understand simple math.

Most people have given up on trying to get a viable option for this.

Edited by liavalenth

I had a thought on this earlier, and really, I don't see why a system like this would make people not want to buy forma. Ultimately, Forma will get you an overall higher energy reduction in the mods that are serious energy hogs (unless it's a low power, high-potential level mod like vitality or something). In addition, Forma give you the added benefit of keeping all those levels along with the reduction in energy cost. A system like this would merely allow you to squeeze just a little bit into your weapon without the benefit of the extra levels like Forma give you, so it's just added flexibility, which I'm all for. No real competition with Forma.

Back to the main topic though, I had an idea for something like this which unfortunately would make the mod system a bit more complicated, but much more flexible: Instead of having mod levels be straight up permanent increases in power, let it be an upper limit. In this system, say you had a mod, and you upgraded it to rank 4 and it has a base energy cost of 2. You drop it into the weapon/warframe, but instead of using up all 6 energy, it only uses up the base cost initially, but acts as a level 0 mod. From there, you can assign additional energy, up to the max number of levels, to get more power out of it.

Using the mod in the example above, say I only have 4 energy left. I drop the mod in, using up only 2 energy at first, leaving me with two more. I could leave that energy for something else, or "assign" it to the mod to make it act as a rank 2 mod. Now this would leave 2 potential ranks unused on the mod, but I have no unused energy and no mods sitting on the sidelines because it doesn't fit exactly. This gives a lot of flexibility and allows you to get the most out of your weapons without having to re-level copies of mods to get the right energy balance, but obviously does make it a bit more complicated to work with, so I'm not sure how well it would work.

While it would be nice to see, I doubt it will happen. For the devs, it is easier to tell people to keep sets of lower level mods on hand for those cases, instead of making new engine changes to allow what is basically a volume knob on the maxed mods.

I can see a way this can work...They can allow you to "downgrade" a mod by using Forma, and when it "downgrades" the mod, it drops it all the way to 0, and takes all the...ermn lets say "energy" it took to upgrade it and creates a fusion core out of it, which when fused in to the mod again would rise up where it last was, or be dumped into another mod to upgrade it but at the cost of having to remove ALL the energy from that mod.

The problem with this is...say you have a max rank 10 mod, take the fusion core energy out of it into a new fusion core which would give you a rank 10 fusion core, just as an example I don't know specific numbers, and when you put that in say a rank 4 mod, when you take the fusion energy out of that mod it will only give you a rank 4 fusion core.

To help counter this...I would suggest adding in another feature, again a Forma thing, that would let you split up a fusion core into say rank 1, 2, 3, ect or combine them into such, which honestly I would like that feature reguardless of everything else because at times I just need that little little bit extra energy, and all I need is a rank 1 fusion core...but all I have is rank 3s and 5s....I'd probably start buying more forma.

Downgrades with Refunds = repdown.png

Downgrades without Refunds = rep_up.png

Instead of a Downgrading function, why not an "Undo" option that allows a player to revert the last fusion done to a mod but with a limited time tolerance before that fusion becomes permanent? The time limit is to avoid too much data storage in the game`s server and would give the player the time to think or test play the mod`s changes and see if it was realy necessary?

Edited by BiancaPony