Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making "falling Through The World" Not Equal Doom

AzziWeaver

Hello;

Me and several of my friends have managed to get ourselves knocked out of the world geometry; I believe this is a problem most players experience occasionally.

Currently what seems to happen is that I fall forever outside of the map -- I can usually see a chunk of world geometry flying by repeatedly as I apparently loop through the entire game coordinate system from top to bottom over and over. At least one friend has suddenly died -- without being downed, just straight to revive/forfeit screen, though the rest of us could see his body reappear somewhere -- after being stuck like this for a while.

Since these bugs can not usually be completely assuredly fixed because yay physics simulation, I would suggest a failsafe that ties into the fall-reset code: when the player falls below the minimum Z value in the world, or, if that isn't feasible, has been falling for some number of seconds greater than any in-world falling should ever take, just reset them to the last known safe position already used by the pit code.

This would change a game breaking bug that often forces mission resets into a minor annoyance.

DE has the same response to this as people asking for a "/unstuck" command:

NO

The reason?

If it automatically reset you or you could just unstick yourself, how many people would actually report the issue? They would rather people just report the issue and have them fix the maps then not.

This is directly related to a /reset function to allow you to get back to the path after a bug. The thing is that they want people to report bugs, and a feature like this would decrease the number of bugs that get reported.

My solution is a /bugreport function that forces you to fill out a bug report then respawns you on a safe path. That way they get a guaranteed bug report and you get to keep playing the level and not lose what you got.

Edited by liavalenth

DE has the same response to this as people asking for a "/unstuck" command:

NO

The reason?

If it automatically reset you or you could just unstick yourself, how many people would actually report the issue? They would rather people just report the issue and have them fix the maps then not.

As I've seen mentioned though - if a /unstuck command is used, they could easily pull data on what the player's position/time/etc was when it was used, or even make a pop-up for in-game bug reporting. No reason to straight up refuse something like this.

As I've seen mentioned though - if a /unstuck command is used, they could easily pull data on what the player's position/time/etc was when it was used, or even make a pop-up for in-game bug reporting. No reason to straight up refuse something like this.

I was merely bringing up DE's official stance and response to this as well as the reasoning that they have put behind it.

Honestly I dont care much either way. Just wanted to bring that to peoples attention before a fight starts over it (which has happened in other threads)/and or the thread derails into other things.

I was merely bringing up DE's official stance and response to this as well as the reasoning that they have put behind it.

Honestly I dont care much either way. Just wanted to bring that to peoples attention before a fight starts over it (which has happened in other threads)/and or the thread derails into other things.

Fair enough.

In any case - DE should seriously reconsider that thought. I'm surprised they didn't think of something to make that work in the first place..

If they don't want it for the final/after-beta releases, that makes sense. But for a beta version of the game, bug reporting in-game makes SO much sense, and I'm surprised they haven't done this right off the bat.

Oh hey, didn't think to check for prior requests to this, sorry about that.

I will add a few thoughts to this though.

There really does need to be some sort of automated breadcrumbing in-game reporting system for this. I mean, if I fall in a pit and get stuck or something like that, I can take screenshots and report it. When I start loop-falling through the out-of-geometry coordinate void, I often don't really have a good idea what I just did to cause it, PLUS I usually have no idea how to identify what tile I was just in.

Oh, and one more thing. I usually play this game with a few not-just-in-game friends while chatting over Skype or similar. When one of us falls out of a mission or is rendered unable to continue, we almost always ALL abort the mission and start over. An auto-recovery system would thus ease the frustration of 2-4 people when a mission-breaking bug happens, not just the person that hit the bug.