Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid Needs to Be Reworked

Asphaltwings

On 3/26/2017 at 2:24 AM, kapn655321 said:

I love Hydroid the way he is.
He's my main.

Tip: Only 4 when reviving.

1, 2, 3 = Enemies cannot get footing. Ever.

Slow powerful guns work great.
Begin a reload before you Undertow. Will complete while under. Use Curative Undertow for heals.

1 AoE staggers/knockdown + CC, 2 directional movement + stagger/knockdown + CC, 3 stealth + heal + CC + reload.

But... people just 4 spam.
4 spam is what makes him bad.
Don't 4 spam.. try to actually use some skill.
He's Incredibly satisfying and well rounded, solo or party.

Granted, aim on 1 and 4 are a bit Janky.. I cast those with abandon.
1 spam is overall very useful if you're not relying on it to be accurate.
2 makes you temporarily invulnerable and unstoppable directionally.
3 is the best move in the game. Hands down.
4 is a panic button.

Don't give away the instant reload secret DE will "fix it" because we like it... Along with the duration mechanics on Tidal Surge. I hope they don't mess that up if they rework him. 

What Hydroid needs is not a rework, but an art pass as he's fun to play but ugly as sin. It's funny actually when I didn't have him I wanted him for his pilfering swarm, but now that I do play with him I mostly use him for corrosive barrage and curative undertow. What I think Hydroid would really benefit from though, and a lot of other frames while at it, is some mechanical changes to how shields work, what that would be however I do not know.

On 1/4/2017 at 10:37 AM, Asphaltwings said:

So, I have returned after trying out the suggestions you guys have made, and I do have to admit, you have really given me a much better opinion of Hydroid. Paired with a frost or a Volt in defensive positions you're abilities make it incredibly difficult for enemies to function properly. Unfortunately I still find him a bit to fragile for higher level missions, but that may have just been some bad luck with my positioning when I was testing him in those missions. I have taken a real liking to keeping things CC'd with his 1&2 and running about with Ack and Brunt, using his 4 to lock down defensive positions like mobile defense objectives, etc. I don't find myself thinking to use undertow much, but i'm sure as I keep playing him I will figure out ideal times to work it in.

TL;DR: I'm admitting I was incorrect, Hydroid is a pretty great frame, and a lot of fun to play when you get him going. But a few tweaks would be nice, like being able to move in undertow with Tidal Surge and less wild tentacles.

Glad we could help.