Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New player in need of help...

SlashingSunset

Question

Hi, well I just decided to jump into Warframe, and it's rather overwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game so far, but it'd be great if anyone can provide me with some useful newbie advice or if there are any sites with guides. I can't seem to find the guide's section on the offcial forums here. Help a newbie out? D:

17 answers to this question

Ok, i assume you have done the initial tutorial and picked your weapons?.. would you be so kind as to list them here?

And here is a slightly outdated but useful basic guide: http://www.tennoarmory.com/all-guides/basic-guides/starting-out-in-warframe/

Also, if you run into trouble with and missions or bosses, send me a message in-game, and i will try to help out.

Edited by Elvangreen

Never buy weapons/frames with plat. Never. Use your plat for warframe and weapon slots, for cosmetics, and for catalysts and reactors.

the warframe wiki is your best friend.

Try searching weapons and frames on YouTube. Content creators there make helpful reviews and build videos so you can decide if a weapon is good or not and whether you like it before you build it.

you don't have to buy platinum. Try trading for it instead, farm for prime parts in the void missions and sell them. You can check their approximate market prices using warframe.market (no .com)

check out Brozime's free-to-playthrough. It has a lot of good info for new players.

Edited by Xaranoth
Phone keypad makes typo

4 hours ago, SlashingSunset said:

Hi, well I just decided to jump into Warframe, and it's rather overwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game so far, but it'd be great if anyone can provide me with some useful newbie advice or if there are any sites with guides. I can't seem to find the guide's section on the offcial forums here. Help a newbie out? D:

I can help you if you need. For sending a private message ingame you have to type:  /w nick message

nick => you type the persons' nick you want to speak to.

message => you type your desired message.

You can write me ingame. My nick is the same as here on the forums.  Welcome to Warframe :-)

15 hours ago, Elvangreen said:

Ok, i assume you have done the initial tutorial and picked your weapons?.. would you be so kind as to list them here?

And here is a slightly outdated but useful basic guide: http://www.tennoarmory.com/all-guides/basic-guides/starting-out-in-warframe/

Also, if you run into trouble with and missions or bosses, send me a message in-game, and i will try to help out.

I picked the Ex-Calibur, the Javelin like melee weapon instead of the katana, pistol secondary and Rifle Primary. But thanks.

11 hours ago, ArionLightning said:

I can help you if you need. For sending a private message ingame you have to type:  /w nick message

nick => you type the persons' nick you want to speak to.

message => you type your desired message.

You can write me ingame. My nick is the same as here on the forums.  Welcome to Warframe :-)

Thanks mate, ill keep that in mind

11 hours ago, Xaranoth said:

Never buy weapons/frames with plat. Never. Use your plat for warframe and weapon slots, for cosmetics, and for catalysts and reactors.

the warframe wiki is your best friend.

Try searching weapons and frames on YouTube. Content creators there make helpful reviews and build videos so you can decide if a weapon is good or not and whether you like it before you build it.

you don't have to buy platinum. Try trading for it instead, farm for prime parts in the void missions and sell them. You can check their approximate market prices using warframe.market (no .com)

check out Brozime's free-to-playthrough. It has a lot of good info for new players.

Thanks. Ill watch that video

Only use plat for weapon & warframe slots. 

The difference between prime warframes and non prime ones is very small.

Each planets boss (assassination mission on the planet) mostly drop a specific warframe parts http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Assassination ( this will provide u a list of warframes along with the bosses u have to kill to obtain them. u will need to kill them multiple times to get the required parts (neuroptics, chassis &systems) the bp will have to be purchased from the MARKET and the parts will have to be built in the FOUNDRY. when each part is complete u can start building the warframe.

There are 4 currencies in the game (CREDITS which appear top left of the screen, ENDO which u can see top left when in the MODS section, DUCATS can be gotten by selling prime parts (these are acquired by opening void relics which you get from certain missions like excavations,interceptions or spy http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Void_Relic ) to the kiost in the earth STRATA relay, And lastly PLATINUM, you are initially awarded a little in the start the rest you either buy with real money or u can earn by selling the prime gear you retrieve after u open the RELICS (opening relics involved running fissure missions where you have to collect 10 reactant which is dropped by enemies u kill and the relic will open at the end of the mission where you can see what you get)

Join a large clan

Just try and complete all the planets. recruit ppl on recruitment chat or just join open squads. 

Do the quests ASAP

increase your mastery so you can gain access to better weapons.

learn how to bullet jump and wall latch etc by running the training in the codex section as these will help you navigate the map faster and clear mastery tests (the most diffucult test are the ones where you have to pull advance maneuvers and run across maps in a specified period of time.

apart from this enjoy and if you do want to spend money spend it on slots and more slots

Join a large clan

Edited by (PS4)zainubimran
more info

20 hours ago, SlashingSunset said:

the best thing you need is a clan with ppl to help you :) 

besides that : every question finds an answer on warframe wikia, or almost ! ;)

First, take it slow and easy. Warframe has a lot of content to go through in one sitting.

Second, read the wiki as others here suggested. The wiki provides information for whatever questions you have.

Third, search Guide of the Lotus. Otherwise, find someone or some clan that is willing to teach new players.

Fourth, get yourself a decent warframe. I suggest Rhino to start with as it's one of the frames that can does solo pretty well in case you're alone.

Fifth, get yourself fitted with good mods and weapons before attempting Lv 30 missions.

Hope that helps.

After your tutorial, go through the quests and the map.  

Some mods like vitality, serration, pressure point, 90% elemental damage mods should be leveled up as soon as possible.  There are some other more specific mods that shouldn't be ranked up early game, (anti toxin, lighting rod, undying will, etc.) Look up some builds for weapons and warframes before ranking up mods.  

Join a clan and contribute to clan research. 

Get the hang of parkour.  Movement is key, especially when soloing.  

Some weapons suck, rank them anyways.  Keeping them is up to you.  

Platinum should be used for slots and catalysts and some rare things by trading that may be hard to farm .  Don't waste platinum

Have fun 

Out of all the things I can recommend is: Explore the pause menu in your liset. The options menu there can offer a lot of information that is very much overlooked when starting. Yeah, you can change sound and video settings there, but there are plenty of other interactions with inventory and other menus that are unexplored and unexplained. 

Explore the market. See what is available for you at this early of a stage. The change in visuals makes it easy to follow but may be confusing. Note that building warframes requires you to get the parts from bosses/quests and most blueprints are purchased from the market (Some frames and weapons have exceptions which is one of many reasons to join a clan). 

Play for fun. Find the frames, weapons, and companions that entertain you. If you enjoy a specific warframe or weapon, use it. If you want a specific weapon, use the wikis linked in previous posts to learn how to farm/acquire it. This particularly helps if you are very goal oriented. 

As everyone else has mentioned, learn to play. No one expects you to be fast, but learning the movement system will absolutely decrease time wasted running from point A to B. You're a ninja. Stealth and avoidance can be a valid form of approaching many situations. Know the difference between the silent and alarming weapons and how they work, as well as the difference between hitscan and travel time weapons. Take a look at syndicates as early as you can. They can be a valuable resource for plenty of items.

Learn the chats! There are a couple chats available to you. Regional is your local Tenno and a good way to start up a group. Recruiting is good for looking into clans. Trade is tradin specific items and mods. 

Last but not least, ask questions. Don't know the answer to something? Ask! Someone is always willing to help.

Hope to see you out there!

On 4/10/2017 at 5:57 PM, (PS4)zainubimran said:

Only use plat for weapon & warframe slots. 

The difference between prime warframes and non prime ones is very small.

Each planets boss (assassination mission on the planet) mostly drop a specific warframe parts http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Assassination ( this will provide u a list of warframes along with the bosses u have to kill to obtain them. u will need to kill them multiple times to get the required parts (neuroptics, chassis &systems) the bp will have to be purchased from the MARKET and the parts will have to be built in the FOUNDRY. when each part is complete u can start building the warframe.

There are 4 currencies in the game (CREDITS which appear top left of the screen, ENDO which u can see top left when in the MODS section, DUCATS can be gotten by selling prime parts (these are acquired by opening void relics which you get from certain missions like excavations,interceptions or spy http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Void_Relic ) to the kiost in the earth STRATA relay, And lastly PLATINUM, you are initially awarded a little in the start the rest you either buy with real money or u can earn by selling the prime gear you retrieve after u open the RELICS (opening relics involved running fissure missions where you have to collect 10 reactant which is dropped by enemies u kill and the relic will open at the end of the mission where you can see what you get)

Join a large clan

Just try and complete all the planets. recruit ppl on recruitment chat or just join open squads. 

Do the quests ASAP

increase your mastery so you can gain access to better weapons.

learn how to bullet jump and wall latch etc by running the training in the codex section as these will help you navigate the map faster and clear mastery tests (the most diffucult test are the ones where you have to pull advance maneuvers and run across maps in a specified period of time.

apart from this enjoy and if you do want to spend money spend it on slots and more slots

Join a large clan

Thanks man for the tips.

another tips regarding the mr tests.

get the silver grove quest done asap. this gives u the access to the warframe titania which helps in the most difficult of mr tests (MR11) she also make mr 8 & 10 tests EASYYYYYY. get a blade gun made (redeemer MR4 or sarpa MR8)  asap should help u cheese the spy tests in mr. u can shoot all the guards from far away and hence its easy.

The most useful syndicates are steel meridian (hek & marelok) (synoid simulor is getting a nerf so the last 2 i mentioned take the cake) & any other that gives access to LARGE energy restore bps (these will be necessary as u progress in the game).

the warframes u will need

ivara (queen of stealth & can do ANY spy mission with ease as she can walk through the lasers and not raise the alarm)

frost is a tank and can run many many missions as its a tank and does not die easily also (helps doing kuva missions)

hydroid or nekros (resource farming frames) and as u progress chroma (helps farm credits)

remember u can run any mission with any frame if u have skill & or mods. the above mentioned ones just makes life easier.

frame ppl always want in public matches TRINITY :) they never say no to her as she provides unlimited health and energy to the team

get secura lecta from the market helps u farm credits faster as u will need loads to progress. ppl usually want this along with either nova (built for speed) chroma nekros and the last trinity.

msg me if u are ever stuck il be very happy to help :)

On 4/9/2017 at 6:40 AM, SlashingSunset said:

Scan plants.  There's a quest that requires this, if you scan in your normal game play, this quest will be a lot easier to finish.  

I wouldn't recommend joining a large clan, but rather a mid size that's also part of a large alliance.  This helps give you a larger pool of knowledge but keeps you from being looked over in a large clan.  

As has been mentioned, don't spend your starter plat on anything that's not slots.  You can trade for more once you're MR2+.  You'll be able to trade unbuilt Prime items, "special" weapons, with no xp, pet imprints, mods, some keys, etc.  I would suggest at least dabbling in trading so that you can purchase slots.  You'll run out of them fast.  Warframe - 20p, 2 Weapon - 12p

Trading break down - http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Trade_System

One of many sites available that lets you do some price checking - https://warframe.market/

This is a link to a site that allows you to experiment with builds, without committing the time and forma - http://warframe-builder.com/

The wiki is going to be your best friend - http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki 

Pick up a Sentinel, drop Vacuum on it, run it all the time.  You'll get a Kubrow but they're a credit sink and take some Forma to make them truly formidable but that's the kind of thing that comes about mid game. 

Don't bother putting catalysts or reactors on something you aren't planning on keeping - you're going to go through a lot of weapons and Warframes.  I suggest play the field and then make a choice as to which one you're going to lavish attention on.  

If anyone says your Warframe of choice "sucks" or is "trash" don't worry about it.  A lot of people say that about most Warframes in the game.  Play what you like. 

Do not ever pay plat for clan membership.  Do not trade for out of game items (i.e., I'll give you money irl for your event mods)  Take the time to Google something before committing to a trade. 

Nitain - always do the Nitain alerts.

After every DEvstream, there will be a 24hr alert for a potato.  Run invasions, you get a lot of credits, easy xp and some even offer weapon parts.

Edited by MagPrime