Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Custom Weapon Crafting Concept] Forged Relics

Makuta_Nazo

FIRST I would like to say, the original idea does NOT belong to me, and that you first check out the post made by (PS4)REDbryan22 below. My idea is expanded, and slightly different than the one I linked.

SECOND.... Spoiler Warning for the Second dream and War Within quests.

Forged Relics

A new weapon system to maybe help bring Operators into the lime light. They are wonderful in their own way, but pressing 5 for operator mode is relatively a bad idea unless 1, fighting sentients, or 2 fighting kuva guardians. This system would be unique, and allow you to both design, and construct a weapon that has its own look, and partially randomized stats. This wouldn't be like the current melee weapons where there is a 'meta' for the best, that everyone has to have (Galatine Prime .... '-').

To start, this would require a new part of the orbiter, called the Forge. Here you can spend your own resources to research cosmetics and structure parts for your Relic weapons. The Structure parts are what the weapon itself its built out of, and looks like. You'd also have to research all the grip types to be able to craft a Relic weapon of that grip type. Once you have the structure parts, and grip type you're satisfied with, you can start making a weapon by going to the forge, and designing your Relic.

-Step 1, Designing:

• When designing, you're given a prompt of which grip type you would like to use for your melee Relic. (Great sword, Dual blades, Whip, ect.).
  • Once the grip is chosen, you're shown the table of the forge, and given a side menu of all the structure parts capable of being attached to the chosen grip type.
  • To build the weapons appearance, you click and drag the parts from the menu and place them on the table where you want the part to be on the weapon. However, each part must be touching, and certain structure pieces can only be placed in certain places. (you can't hold the blade like a handle)
  • You wouldn't be able to use a Hammer head on Tonfas grips for example, however a single handed sword handle could be used on many other weapons.
  • At the start, your weapon will have a low structure point limit, and each part you add to the weapon costs a certain amount of points (More points for a larger size, or more flashy parts.)
  • Structure parts add or subtract from the weapons stats, however the exact number is hidden and is only represented by an up or down arrow on the stat sub menu while Forging.
  • Decoration parts only add to the weapons appearance, and not its stats, however they still cost Structure points.
  • To finish forging, you have to sacrifice (fuse) a finished Prime part. It doesn't have to be specific to the weapon grip type, however the part can also alter the stats, and will give it a unique buff.
  • Depending on the structure parts used, and the Prime parts sacrificed (fused), the weapon may start with base mod polarities.
  • When you finish forging the weapon you will be asked to name it, you will be given 4 blueprints. 1 for the whole weapon, and 3 blue prints for the weapon parts.

-Step 2, Crafting:

• Each blue print part will be different and depend on the structure parts used in the forging phase.
  • Each of the 3 parts takes 24 hours to craft, and the whole weapon is 48 hours. (three days total for the finished weapon.)
  • The weapon is added to its own set of slots, and doesn't encroach on your regular or archwing weapon slots.
  • You can only have 4 Relic weapon slots, and cannot buy any more with plat. The reason being, is each would be visually displayed in your transference room. There are 4 circular floor panels that you cannot place decorations on in that room, so when you enter the room they could raise up and reveal the forged relic within.

-Step 3, Customizing/Usage:

• The 1-4 weapons could be accessed either by going to the specific pop up floor arsenal for the weapon, or interacting with the operator. While editing the colors of the weapon, you could easily switch between them just like changing a warframe load out.
  • The weapon would have its own specific set of mods, and give special buffs to the operator based on the Prime parts/structure parts used. (Shields, hp boost, void power increase, ect.)
  • The Forged Relic would have a very limited set of mod slots, likely starting at 4, however this can be changed later.
  • To use the relic, enter any mission as normal, and activate transference by pressing 5. Your operator will have the selected weapon load out holstered on their body. You can press F to switch to this melee weapon and use it much like a warframe would. (Channeling, weak or heavy attacks, ect.)
  • The operator consistently has the buff or debuffs available from the weapon, holstered or equipped.

-Step 4, Improving:

• You don't gain Mastery Rank from leveling a Relic weapon, however it still does level up to 30.
  • Once leveled to 30, you have two choices from here. You can either, A Forma the weapon, or B reforge it.
  • Forma: When you forma the weapon, you cannot ever reforge it. Once you go to add a forma, you will be given a warning that this cannot be undone, and no reforging can take place afterwards.
  • Reforging: This is the meat of the weapon crafting. "Having used the weapon, and found its faults, you discover a way to improve its design."
  • You interact with the Forge again, and instead of Forging a new weapon, you instead can select to reforge an old one.
  • The Forge will let you slightly redecorate this weapon as reforging it increases its Structure points.
  • You can add and remove Decoration parts as much as you want, however Structure parts from the previous build of the weapon cannot be removed, only new ones can be added.
  • When you finish redesigning the weapon, you will be prompted to Sacrifice (fuse) another Prime part to this weapon to another operator buff. This time you will be given your old Relic weapon back, and a blue print for the improved version. The blueprint consumes the old weapon, and takes about 1 and a half days to build in the foundry.
  • Each time you reforge a weapon, it adds 2 more mod slots to the weapons upgrade menu, and a certain number of structure points. (it also increases the operator buffs on the weapon by a certain amount)
  • However, each time you reforge the weapon, you gain less and less structure points, and the buffs increase exponentially slower. Eventually, after 4 reforges, the weapon will no longer gain any stat buffs, any structure points, or any mod slots.
  • Reforging however costs resources, possibly Kuva, and more of it as you reforge the same weapon. (like how rivens costs more kuva per roll)

The weapons would be in 5 different classes, and while the names are place holders, I kind of like them right now.

1. Intact: The Relic weapon has been forged, but not reforged.
  2. Exceptional: The Relic weapon has been reforged once.
  3. Flawless: The Relic weapon has been reforged twice.
  4. Radiant: The Relic weapon has been reforged thrice.
  5. Perfect: The Relic weapon has been reforged as many times as possible*. (While its possible to reforge it again, you wouldn't be able to get much out of it besides changing its cosmetics.)

For example, the name of a weapon would be "Intact Bleeding Edge" or "Flawless Crushing Titan" ect ect.

This system would allow you to build new and unique weapons, each player would have one that was their own, and wouldn't invalidate the melee weapons currently in the game by making a system that broke and outclassed the melee weapons in the game. It could also help improve the transference system introduced in the War Within, and give players something to do. I'd like a similar system for building a Warframe, however I feel like that could easily become incredibly broken, so I don't think I'll make a post about that.

What do you guys think? Post your opinion and comments down below. I'd like to see some constructive criticism and suggestions!

Edited by Makuta_Nazo
More clickbait title, and added spoilers tag because it was needed.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that it's a great idea. it could replace the unarmed melee attack of the operator...

My few two cents:

-Drag-and-drop would be monstrously database-heavy, a safer alternative would be to have a step-by-step construction like:

1)Choose grip type

2)choose and modify parts (maybe some sliders?)

3)add and modify decorations (again some sliders?)

the parts could be acquired from several sources like the void, sorties, raids, alerts, syndicates or even dismantling owned weapons (instead of selling them we could  keep one or all parts and sell the rest for already pitiful amount of creds)

-Adding a  possibility to take one of the relics apart could be a good idea, in case someone filled their slots, but wanted to have a different grip type to choose from.

1 hour ago, Drejzer said:

I think that it's a great idea. it could replace the unarmed melee attack of the operator...

My few two cents:

-Drag-and-drop would be monstrously database-heavy, a safer alternative would be to have a step-by-step construction like:

1)Choose grip type

2)choose and modify parts (maybe some sliders?)

3)add and modify decorations (again some sliders?)

the parts could be acquired from several sources like the void, sorties, raids, alerts, syndicates or even dismantling owned weapons (instead of selling them we could  keep one or all parts and sell the rest for already pitiful amount of creds)

-Adding a  possibility to take one of the relics apart could be a good idea, in case someone filled their slots, but wanted to have a different grip type to choose from.

I didn't cover deconstruction, yeah I didn't have much of an answer for that except just selling it for credits.