Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Playstation Store Sales Tax on Plat! Maybe Xbox??

(PSN)Ariies

In certain states the playstation store is now taxing sales for platinum. It's complete BS since you can not "physically" buy plat at a store....and even if you could, it wouldn't be subject to sales tax.

WTF Sony! DE....gonna need you to lay the smack down!

I know its not actually a "Sony" thing, but a state thing....but come on. Make sure the items being taxed are things that should be taxed or could be taxed as if you were physically picking up the item and buying it.

Digital-Product-Taxability.png

Edited by (PS4)Ariies

15 hours ago, (PS4)EmilsTekcor said:

how much is the tax?

does it truly present an even larger difference then what we already see between pc and consoles?

Man we need numbers if we are gonna go for this.

It depends on the State. As you see by the map, some states that tax digital sales are not taxed by much and some tax as if it was sold in a actual store. Some state have a number by them. Take Texas for instance...they tax digital sales as equal as physical sales. Its based off the state sales tax which is 6.25% in Texas for most parts. The Easter Sale on plat for PS4 was a great thing until I went to buy some. The $49.99 package was $29.99 with the sale, but with the sales tax added. it was $32 and change. Still not a bad deal, but the point is....Shouldn't be taxed for something we can not physically get from a store in the state. Steam doesn't tax for their plat purchases. At least it hasn't taxed me.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Ariies said:

It depends on the State. As you see by the map, some states that tax digital sales are not taxed by much and some tax as if it was sold in a actual store. Some state have a number by them. Take Texas for instance...they tax digital sales as equal as physical sales. Its based off the state sales tax which is 6.25% in Texas for most parts. The Easter Sale on plat for PS4 was a great thing until I went to buy some. The $49.99 package was $29.99 with the sale, but with the sales tax added. it was $32 and change. Still not a bad deal, but the point is....Shouldn't be taxed for something we can not physically get from a store in the state. Steam doesn't tax for their plat purchases. At least it hasn't taxed me.

yeah that is a good point, I mean do they even pay taxes on it?

I ran into an issue today when I tried to purchase a platinum pack, the 3200 (ballpark) pack. The cost is $149.99. Sony only allows a wallet size of $150.00. (See where this is going?) I am a disabled veteran and spend my time enjoying video games, for a lot of reasons, not just for a hobby. This is...extremely upsetting to me, because it now renders certain transactions impossible to make.

I have purchaesed the last two prime pack and their respective additions as well. With (1) this new sales tax in effect, (2) your company making a high dollar demand, and (3) Sony not increasing the online store wallet amount...it seems as though myself and many, many others who live in these "additional tax states" will no longer be able to make future purchases of anything that is, ballpark, $140.00. When it comes to platinum, sure, we can buy multiple packs to get more platinum, but not without getting our wallets destroyed by multiple taxes on multiple purchases.

This is not, so much, a DE sales marketing problem, but it is one that any sales/ marketing rep would and should be concerned with; the potential to (read as: going to) lose customers.

This begs the following questions...

Does your company not want to make more money?

Does Sony not want to make more money?

Has the gaming industry finally become a murky ocean of greedy sharks?

The latter is a rhetorical question and not directed at your company, obviously, as you have no power to increase sales tax for my state, Ohio.

Currently, the only option for platinum purchases (that I have) are the $99.00 and below. Anyone who has purchased and still does/ tries, is going to see where these greedy state reps have now taken the video game industry. If I wanted, say, 3200 platinum, I have to make multiple purchases, and can only do so with the hassle of having to add more funds to my wallet. (Now, my card daily spending limit has to be increased, yet another unnecessary inconvenience). That is, however, not the issue... adding more funds is not. The issue is, I and many others are going to get taxed everytime...on every_single_purchase.

In other words, simple math knowledge would lead one to discover that making a single purchase of 3200 plat is going to be less expensive (because of the single tax applied) than making multiple purchases of smaller plat package amounts.

My question to you, DE, is this:

What steps have/ has your company taken or is planning on taking, in order to help paying customers circumvent this new tax issue that we are now faced with?

(The Sony rep I spoke to had no information on Sony's having plans to increase the wallet amount. Not surprised...it is official, they now suck).

Edited by (PS4)Dozer552
grammar

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:31 PM, (PS4)EmilsTekcor said:

yeah that is a good point, I mean do they even pay taxes on it?

DE has never charged taxes for plat along with the many vendors that we purchase plat through. For PC we have several ways to buy plat. We have one way on PS4.

On 4/25/2017 at 10:51 PM, (PS4)EmilsTekcor said:

how much is the tax?

does it truly present an even larger difference then what we already see between pc and consoles?

Man we need numbers if we are gonna go for this.

It's $6 to $7, in the state of Ohio

+ $7.00

=

No more content purchasing on a LOT of other game media (not just Warframe)

I'm so bummed and infuriated at the same time now, anymore. This really, truly, sucks!

Edited by (PS4)Dozer552

3 hours ago, (PS4)Dozer552 said:

No more content purchasing on a LOT of other game media (not just Warframe)

I'm so bummed and infuriated at the same time now, anymore. This really, truly, sucks!

IKR...Looks like i'm headed back to NY. I wish there were an alternate way to buy plat and packs for the ps4. Or if I could just win 100,000 plat, i'd be fine with that as well.