Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Power Duration on Channeled Abilities Question

Valkyr-Umbra

Question

So, my friend told me that +duration slows down the damage tics on channel abilities like Banshee's soundquake and ember's world on fire, essentially resulting in their using less energy, but providing less dps. Is this accurate? My understanding of it was that, for channeled abilities, duration effects the speed at which energy drains, making a 'tic', or unit drain of energy, take longer, whereas efficiency lowers the amount of energy consumed in a tic (and I thought duration didn't effect the damage output on channels).

Edited by Snowman486

4 answers to this question

As the people above have said, half right.

Duration will increase the amount of time the ability lasts per unit energy.

Efficiency will decrease the amount of energy used per unit time.

The only thing that will affect damage is strength. If you think about it - duration affecting damage couldn't apply universally. Sure it could with something like Soundquake, that deals damage over time, but what about Hysteria or Exalted Blade? Although DE don't stick hard and fast to it, they do try to make things consistent like that - especially when it comes to modding.

Hope that helps :laugh:

9 minutes ago, Snowman486 said:

+duration on channel abilities like Banshee's soundquake and ember's world on fire, essentially resulting in their using less energy

yes.

9 minutes ago, Snowman486 said:

slows down the damage tics providing less dps

no. duration has no effect on the actual ticks of damage. unless you use a corrupted mod that lowers power strength.

so your friend is half right

Edited by Moysa

1 hour ago, osmo2 said:

As the people above have said, half right.

Duration will increase the amount of time the ability lasts per unit energy.

Efficiency will decrease the amount of energy used per unit time.

The only thing that will affect damage is strength. If you think about it - duration affecting damage couldn't apply universally. Sure it could with something like Soundquake, that deals damage over time, but what about Hysteria or Exalted Blade? Although DE don't stick hard and fast to it, they do try to make things consistent like that - especially when it comes to modding.

Hope that helps :laugh:

Thanks all, and this phrasing makes it seem very simple :D