Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why is Volt so fragile?

BakeMyCake

Question

Can anyone explain this phenomena from the game mechanics standpoint? What makes Volt so fragile compared to other frames?

I have quite an array of frames at my disposal, and the only two that force me to hide ALL the time are Vauban and Volt. It is clear in Vaubans case, but Volt? With 1000 Mag shields I never get nearly as many shield breaks as with 1000 Volt shields. And this isn't related to warframe abilities, since I don't use any whatsoever( mostly because I don't remember about them, I know it's a bad habit ).

Volt has decent health and solid shields. The difference between Mag and Volt health/shieldwise is negligeble. There seems to be no rational explanation, however, every time I unshelve my Volt Prime, it takes damage so much worse than other frames, and I cant understand why. This is the main reason why I stay away from Volt these days. Every time I look at Volt after a while and think to myself "Why am I not playing this more?", I take him on a mission and instantly remember why.

Is there a stat that I'm missing, that makes Volt like that? AFAIK armor doesn't affect shields, so what gives?

8 answers to this question

He have less armor compared other casters and that makes him less effective reduce the damage. Frames with 15 armor are too weak in damage reducing (almost non existant) and their only choice to survive is attack before they attacked by mobs. 

its a phenomenon you perceive that is not there, one reason why he does feel fragile, one would notice it if one is a newer player, as such they do not fully utilize moving all the time, with volt, his Speed ability seems to be an answer for that, that and Electric Shield, a 1000 shield Volt is very similar to a 1000 shield Mag by all accounts, since warframe shields do not inherit damage reduction from armor.

Volt has high shields, but middling health and absolutely terrible armor.  You need to be using his Speed to dodge attacks and Electric Shield to negate them.  CCing enemies with Shock and Discharge also helps.

Volt Prime is significantly less squishy than regular Volt, due to the having over six and a half times as much armor.

I think you people misunderstood what OP meant. He's asking why is Volt's shield seems to more rapidly decrease compared to other Frames, not the general survivability of Volt.

To OP, you might want to revise the title, since it caused some confusion.

As for the actual question, it doesn't seem it should be the case. Shield has it's own property, with the only difference between each Frame is the amount they have. But different damage type interact with shield differently. Some damage type deplete shield fast, some deplete it slowly, two bypass it entirely. Is that what happened?

I think some people have touched on it but not specifically asked about it.  It would help if we had more information.

Where were you fighting?  What were you fighting against?  What were you doing when you were hit?  Were you doing the same things when playing your Mag?

Volt should not feel more fragile than other frames with the same armor as him. 

Volt was made to NOT take damage. Not to resist it. He has shield that can block almost anything, his 4th is a good CC and he can use speed to avoid taking hits. 

His entire kit screams for you to not take damage.

3 hours ago, Gamma745 said:

different damage type interact with shield differently. Some damage type deplete shield fast, some deplete it slowly, two bypass it entirely. Is that what happened?

Thank you for giving me a clue. I looked it up and it seems like magnetic might be the cause of this. I did run a ton of missions against corpus because of the event afterall.

On a sidenote: I wish there was a way to combine resistance mods like you can combine damage mods.

Maybe its the way your building him.My volt is my second tankiest frame after bless trin.Abuse his thick shields.You can put shield durability mods in volt and still have room to capitalize in powers.Im always the one ressing others in sorties when I use him.Capacitance lets you you and your team always get 2k+ overshields with 1 cast ((I'm max power str)) and I use the two unpopular shield recharge mods,i only have to not get hit for 4 seconds and I alredy regen all the 1k+ natural shields.people underestimate shields and they will only be better when shield gating comes

Edited by LinaCrysta