The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid Alterations - Post Revisit

Navarc

43 minutes ago, DarkG7 said:

A welcoming change that could be cool is that the tentacles would stop smacking (moving) the enemy if they get aimed by hydroid or his allies. If it happens, I hope it doesn't end up as an augment tho. 

Listed!
Tentacle Swarm (4) - Holding still: Tentacles with captured enemies will halt if aimed at. @DarkG7

Have always played Hydroid as an Offensive Vanguard/Frontline Disruptor... now this build allows even more Aggressive Offense to marry his CC.... making him an extremely Aggressive CC frame ---  and the additional armor (especially with Guardian/Grace) only makes his toe-to-toe brawling ability skyrocket...  

I have never been more happy and proud to be a Hydroid Main...  

I am really really happy with where it stands... the only thing really lingering is that it would be awesome to get some better AoE for the T.Barrage... and finally give him a reasonable passive--- how about a passive that fits his Vanguard approach-- such as something along the lines of automatic reflection build in.. so that he will automatically reflect 50% of all incoming gunfire without the need to block  (when in Melee mode)?  

So, if you are slicing and dicing enemies (with your Nami Skyla Prime) ... then 50% of all incoming fire is simply reflection/ignored ?   

Yea, I know its wild.. but I figured I'd throw it out there for consideration. 

Course, I really like OPs idea of his passive being  along the lines of "melee strikes innately strip a portion of armor"....  that would be amazing too.

Also, the idea of his water holding his last status effect and then applying it to the next cast is cool too.. but I think I really want the passive to be Melee related.. 

14 hours ago, (PS4)Nujintuai said:

Have always played Hydroid as an Offensive Vanguard/Frontline Disruptor... now this build allows even more Aggressive Offense to marry his CC.... making him an extremely Aggressive CC frame ---  and the additional armor (especially with Guardian/Grace) only makes his toe-to-toe brawling ability skyrocket...  

I have never been more happy and proud to be a Hydroid Main...  

I am really really happy with where it stands... the only thing really lingering is that it would be awesome to get some better AoE for the T.Barrage... and finally give him a reasonable passive--- how about a passive that fits his Vanguard approach-- such as something along the lines of automatic reflection build in.. so that he will automatically reflect 50% of all incoming gunfire without the need to block  (when in Melee mode)?  

So, if you are slicing and dicing enemies (with your Nami Skyla Prime) ... then 50% of all incoming fire is simply reflection/ignored ?   

Yea, I know its wild.. but I figured I'd throw it out there for consideration. 

14 hours ago, (PS4)Nujintuai said:

Course, I really like OPs idea of his passive being  along the lines of "melee strikes innately strip a portion of armor"....  that would be amazing too.

Also, the idea of his water holding his last status effect and then applying it to the next cast is cool too.. but I think I really want the passive to be Melee related.. 

I agree auto-deflect would be cool, but it's really flawed in warframe. Remember that some weapons are 85% damage reduction from parry and some weapons are 35% damage reduction for no reason, ever since they removed stamina cost for parries.
Then there's the fact that auto-parry interrupts casts & shooting, which is why almost no one uses it. You might be charging your bow or aiming to line up a shot, then suddenly your character takes out melee to block 1 stray bullet. That's why Reflex Guard was made so unpopular after stamina was removed.

Although if you write a passive or a few I could add them to the list of passives we have listed here too.

Edited by Navarchus

re: Undertow and companion abilities

I have been thinking about this issue that led to the decision to disable sentinel/companion abilities while in Undertow, and I certainly also feel the sentiment that losing companion support abilities is a big loss. So here is a crazy suggestion for Undertow alternative:

Hydroid only partially submerges waist deep, no longer becoming invulnerable (perhaps 50% DR similar to Inaros Sandstorm?).
Now able to use weapons to shoot, block, melee strike if it reaches.
Sentinels/companions no longer submerged and remain active, but also vulnerable.
Items can be picked up or carried; consoles can be interacted with if close enough.
Press 3 to enter Undertow, 3 again for harpooning into pool, use jump or roll to cancel out of Undertow.

Bonus: Crouch to fully submerge and become invulnerable: lose ability to use weapons; sentinels/companions also submerged, are invulnerable but also inactive; cannot pickup items or interact. Abilities and harpooning still usable. Un-crouch to return to partial submersion.

How about this:

When in Melee Mode, Hydroid gains some portion of armor ?  like.. when in Melee Mode, Hydroid gains 150/200 armor ? It isn't a whole bunch, but it is easy enough to program and I'd gladly take it over the random tentacle.  Plus, with Steel Fiber and Guardian the additional 200 would add a good chunk of damage reduction.. again, better than a tentacle and easy to slide into the game. 

18 hours ago, RunningTree3 said:

I'll play. Bumping my comment from here below to your attention :)

Can you elaborate what blocking effectiveness means? Does 10% blocking effectiveness bring a 35% damage reduction to.. 38,5% damage reduction? The rest I comprehend though.

15 hours ago, Quedion said:

Wow! Im really impressed by this post, good job!
As someone who will buy prime access for hydroid, its nice being updated with whats being changed.

Hey mate, thanks for the support!

9 hours ago, (PS4)Nujintuai said:

How about this:

When in Melee Mode, Hydroid gains some portion of armor ?  like.. when in Melee Mode, Hydroid gains 150/200 armor ? It isn't a whole bunch, but it is easy enough to program and I'd gladly take it over the random tentacle.  Plus, with Steel Fiber and Guardian the additional 200 would add a good chunk of damage reduction.. again, better than a tentacle and easy to slide into the game. 

Well, that kind of forces him into a melee exclusive frame if he becomes that much better with melee-only I think. It should be something that even quick-melee users can utilize especially with combo-wielding coming soon allowing you to pair guns & singlehanded melees.

18 hours ago, RunningTree3 said:

re: Undertow and companion abilities

I have been thinking about this issue that led to the decision to disable sentinel/companion abilities while in Undertow, and I certainly also feel the sentiment that losing companion support abilities is a big loss. So here is a crazy suggestion for Undertow alternative:

Hydroid only partially submerges waist deep, no longer becoming invulnerable (perhaps 50% DR similar to Inaros Sandstorm?).
Now able to use weapons to shoot, block, melee strike if it reaches.
Sentinels/companions no longer submerged and remain active, but also vulnerable.
Items can be picked up or carried; consoles can be interacted with if close enough.
Press 3 to enter Undertow, 3 again for harpooning into pool, use jump or roll to cancel out of Undertow.

Bonus: Crouch to fully submerge and become invulnerable: lose ability to use weapons; sentinels/companions also submerged, are invulnerable but also inactive; cannot pickup items or interact. Abilities and harpooning still usable. Un-crouch to return to partial submersion.

As an alternative to this I suppose? Since otherwise it'd get really crowded and not so safe to use.

• Undertow (3) - Vulnerability: Enemies sink halfway immediately but struggle to get out and slowly sink the other half, with their head & arms exposed in panic. If unalerted they sink entirely just like the old Undertow. 

5 hours ago, Navarchus said:

Can you elaborate what blocking effectiveness means? Does 10% blocking effectiveness bring a 35% damage reduction to.. 38,5% damage reduction? The rest I comprehend though.

Apologies, blocking effectiveness is the same meaning as damage reduction from melee blocking. The 10% is a placeholder; should have written x%. I was imagining a flat addition to the weapon class's blocking DR, so a Nikana class weapon goes from 85% to 95% DR while blocking. Not exactly exciting, but possibly useful. As per that thread, that was how I 'translated' Hydroid's former high stamina stat.

5 hours ago, Navarchus said:

As an alternative to this I suppose? Since otherwise it'd get really crowded and not so safe to use.

• Undertow (3) - Vulnerability: Enemies sink halfway immediately but struggle to get out and slowly sink the other half, with their head & arms exposed in panic. If unalerted they sink entirely just like the old Undertow. 

The idea is to no longer make it quite so safe to use, in exchange for retaining more active options in the use of weapons, companions, item/environment interaction. But also to leave open the possibility of full invulnerability with a crouch-submerge function, and an innate 50% DR in the same way Sandstorm does for Inaros.

One thing that I would love to see is that Undertow, is that you can switch between modes with it: The new mode would allow you to go up halfway to shoot, with a water Armour that protects you and takes damage for you, and then depending on how much damage you take, the size of undertow increases (with a max of 250% total). However, you can only stay up for 15 seconds at a time (cannot be increased or decreased) and it requires 35 energy to do each time.  Also, keep the damage buffs for Undertow + allow you to make bunkers (sort of!) with Undertow!

Apologies, blocking effectiveness is the same meaning as damage reduction from melee blocking. The 10% is a placeholder; should have written x%. I was imagining a flat addition to the weapon class's blocking DR, so a Nikana class weapon goes from 85% to 95% DR while blocking. Not exactly exciting, but possibly useful. As per that thread, that was how I 'translated' Hydroid's former high stamina stat.

I think DE already made up for the stamina loss by the armour buff though, since no one in their right mind would actually parry or use counterattacks in this game anymore as it's too inconsistent and unreliable. Unfortunately.
Perhaps something more regular that would work on all weapon types instead of forcing him into galatine, nikana & orthos would be better? I do like the idea that using different weapons would change some stats around the way they do with Mesa. Combo wielding looks really the best on Hydroid I think, when we actually get it that is.