Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ping is always 150+ with randoms

Xanawolf

Question

Whenever i play with my friends the ping is fine "around 30" but every time i play with randoms my ping goes well above 150+, It makes the game pretty much unplayable since everyones teleporting around and it wont let me hit any enemies.

I know the game is P2P instead of dedicated servers so i expect some natural lag when i play but this is too much, It wouldn't be as bad if these matches weren't so common but its literally 9 out of every 10 matches i play.

Basically im hoping there is somebody on the forums who knows how to fix this or just reduce the overall lag.

EDIT: So apparently 150+ ping is fine for this game, In that case what else can cause such intense lag?

Edited by Xanawolf

17 answers to this question

goddamn i hate living in Australia, just the fact that people complain about 150+ ping and claim that ~30 is normal for them, lol.

I remember when Diablo 3 came out and due to its terrible method of "always online" i would, on the best of days, get a ping of 300, i would usually sit around 700 though unless it was the christmas period where tourists would flock to where i live and tank the entire regions internet... you dont know pain till you've experienced ping of 1500 where the enemies can kill you before they even enter your screen... in solo play... thanks blizzard

1 minute ago, Magicfingers said:

DE claims Warframe is set to use the best host for the mission, but i do believe they got a setting wrong somewhere and it connects to the worst possible host instead

nah what it means is that once a party is formed, the game selects the best host out of those few.

Example:
Daz, Baz, Gaz and Damo have partied up for a mish.
 - Daz has a decent rig with average internet speed.
 - Baz has a laptop and is running his internet off a portable hotspot.
 - Gaz has a monster rig that could calculate the final digit of pi in under 10 seconds (should he so choose to let it).
 - and Damo is playing on an HP OfficeJet 4650 at his local library that he modded to play warframe by printing out each individual frame.
The game then looks at these players and because it is the obvious choice, selects Gaz to be the host.
Should Gaz's computer burn a hole in the space-time continuum and disconnect a host migration occurs.
It selects Daz as he is the next best cantidate for Host.
If Daz disconnects the game selects Baz for host.
If Baz disconnects then it will select Damo, who can no longer effectively play the game because his printer ran out of ink half an hour ago, but by god is he going to try.

in most scenarios, everything is good and dandy... BUT if Damo is now the host of a game that now has only him in it, people may end up joining him should there be no better options for the matchmaking to detect (either because they are full, already completed the objective, or running the game on a worse machine, like a stonemason who is chiseling out each frame on a piece of slate), resulting in a terrible host with people fuming about terrible connections.

Network settings are meaningless if "North America East" means one entire hemisphere of the planet. It is COMMON for my host to be in Brazil—I guess they really enjoy the game down there.

P2P is used to avoid the expense of running game servers.

I'm sorry, I can't help but chuckle at this. 

150 ping is unplayable for you? Man, what a life that must be, just over 1/10th of a second of delay. My average sits at 800 on (really) good days, and stuff hardly even teleports for me there, so it shouldn't be doing it in 150 almost any (some, obviously, but not as often as you imply). I live in the US, btw. The truth is - not everyone has fantastically amazing internet. Sometimes you have to deal with nearly-imperceptible ping jumps when in public matches. That's honestly pretty normal in P2P multiplayer games. If you want to avoid that, set your ping limit lower than 150 and you should be fine. It'll shrink your matchmaking pool substantially, but you won't have much lag. 

Man, I'd kill to have 150 ping. Sometimes I have literally 10x more ping than that, and I'm not even joking. Which makes this all the funnier because I still get highest damage or most kills for the squad pretty often when I decide to suffer through the cancer for the rewards (or if I'm helping someone). 

6 hours ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

nah what it means is that once a party is formed, the game selects the best host out of those few.

Example:
 - Gaz has a monster rig that could calculate the final digit of pi in under 10 seconds (should he so choose to let it).
 - and Damo is playing on an HP OfficeJet 4650 at his local library that he modded to play warframe by printing out each individual frame.
The game then looks at these players and because it is the obvious choice, selects Gaz to be the host.
Should Gaz's computer burn a hole in the space-time continuum and disconnect a host migration occurs.
If Baz disconnects then it will select Damo, who can no longer effectively play the game because his printer ran out of ink half an hour ago, but by god is he going to try.

in most scenarios, everything is good and dandy... BUT if Damo is now the host of a game that now has only him in it, people may end up joining him should there be no better options for the matchmaking to detect (either because they are full, already completed the objective, or running the game on a worse machine, like a stonemason who is chiseling out each frame on a piece of slate), resulting in a terrible host with people fuming about terrible connections.

sorry, but i don't believe that. i have a very decent PC, can run most games maxed out. have a 1GB down and up internet, and yet i still wind up never the host. the only way i get to be a host is if i load into a game and then everyone else joins, otherwise i have to play the game with lots of lag or else it's like watching a slideshow. in fact, i already made a post about this. here it is listing my pc parts and internet speeds    

Edited by Magicfingers

16 hours ago, Magicfingers said:

sorry, but i don't believe that. i have a very decent PC, can run most games maxed out. have a 1GB down and up internet, and yet i still wind up never the host. the only way i get to be a host is if i load into a game and then everyone else joins, otherwise i have to play the game with lots of lag or else it's like watching a slideshow. in fact, i already made a post about this. here it is listing my pc parts and internet speeds    

yeah but bandwidth and latency are two entirely different beasts

22 hours ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

I'm sorry, I can't help but chuckle at this. 

150 ping is unplayable for you? Man, what a life that must be, just over 1/10th of a second of delay. My average sits at 800 on (really) good days, and stuff hardly even teleports for me there, so it shouldn't be doing it in 150 almost any (some, obviously, but not as often as you imply). I live in the US, btw. The truth is - not everyone has fantastically amazing internet. Sometimes you have to deal with nearly-imperceptible ping jumps when in public matches. That's honestly pretty normal in P2P multiplayer games. If you want to avoid that, set your ping limit lower than 150 and you should be fine. It'll shrink your matchmaking pool substantially, but you won't have much lag. 

Man, I'd kill to have 150 ping. Sometimes I have literally 10x more ping than that, and I'm not even joking. Which makes this all the funnier because I still get highest damage or most kills for the squad pretty often when I decide to suffer through the cancer for the rewards (or if I'm helping someone). 

So you say 150 ping is fine, Then maybe the problem isnt the ping then.

Ive been in games with 200+ ping and it made the lag so intense i couldnt use abilities, all my team just run on the stop and i cant do damage because nothing registers, It even kicks me out of the games sometimes and this is for around 8 out of every 10 public matches i play.

So im guessing its not my ping then since you say 150 is good for this game, I blamed the ping initially since most online games i play i get around 5 - 30 ping average so im not use to it being 150.

23 hours ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

Example:

Yeah that does make sense, The thing is i have an insane PC (GTX 1080/ Hex-core I7) I wont go into full specs.

You would think the game would choose me to be host most of the time but it never seems to be the case.

3 hours ago, Xanawolf said:

So you say 150 ping is fine, Then maybe the problem isnt the ping then.

Ive been in games with 200+ ping and it made the lag so intense i couldnt use abilities, all my team just run on the stop and i cant do damage because nothing registers, It even kicks me out of the games sometimes and this is for around 8 out of every 10 public matches i play.

So im guessing its not my ping then since you say 150 is good for this game, I blamed the ping initially since most online games i play i get around 5 - 30 ping average so im not use to it being 150.

Well, 200 ping is 0.2 seconds (1/5th of a second) of lag between you and the host. That is really not enough to kick you unless you have a really unstable connection. It's barely enough for most people to actually visually notice, let alone prevent you from doing damage or using powers. 

It could very well be on your end, however. If you alt+tab while in-game, or if you have youtube/music/anything else open on the internet, your bandwidth may not be able to handle it and might kick you. With or without decent internet, too many internet-based applications can screw all of them up. Even if it's not your PC. Someone playing online in a different room on another PC/console could do it to you. Hell, someone loading up videos or online-based games on a phone could do it if they're connected to the wifi and not mobile data. 

On 7/3/2017 at 11:41 PM, Xanawolf said:

Yeah that does make sense, The thing is i have an insane PC (GTX 1080/ Hex-core I7) I wont go into full specs.

You would think the game would choose me to be host most of the time but it never seems to be the case.

ahh, but the power of the pc is only part of it (i realise that i didnt mention gaz's internet, my bad) it also depends on your latency to the others. 
and not just your own personal internet connection.
Lets say you party up with some dudes, all three of them are all next door to one another whilst you are 600km away, even if you have a super wiz-bang computer and internet, the system would most likely choose one of them as, being closer to one another, it would result in a lower average ping across all 4 of you.  Granted, in this scenario you lose out in terms of ping, but if you were made the host all three of them would lose out.

Another thing to take into account (that may or may not apply to yourself) is that 9 times out of 10 when you match-make with a pub, you are joining a game already in progress and thus has already selected the host (which only gets re-selected upon host migration)