The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Burston And Latron

Xoxile

I've been doing some math in my head, but since I don't really like doing math I've only half assed it. So tell me if I have done something wrong.

I have been comparing the damage of Latron Prime with Burston. Out of the box Latron Prime does 45 base damage where as Burston does 30x3=90. One could defend the Latron by saying it's easier to get head-shots with. So let's do a little more math.

Medium Grineer takes 33% to body, and 100% to head. Essentially 3x damage to head. I know it's 66% LESS damage to the body, and full damage to the head but for simplistic reasons I did the math by 3x damage to head. For the LatronPrime it would be 45x3=135. Now for the Burston lets say only one bullet got a headshot, and the other two were body shots. (2x30=60)+(30x3=90)=150. Already just by one bullet of the three round burst getting a head-shot the Burston did more damage than the Latron prime.

Corpus crewman takes 4x AP, and electrical damage to the head but let's just say we are shooting at them through Volt's shield, and the damage is being converted to electrical damage. Latron Prime head-shots would be 45x4=180. One bullet from a Burston's three round burst getting a head-shot while the other two are body shots would be (2x30=60)+(30x4=120)=180.

So depending on the enemy as long as you land at least one bullet as a head-shot you will either be doing the same, or more damage as the Latron Prime. Is there anything wrong with my math?

you're not including the fact that body shots will be mitigated by armor which scales by enemy levels. A head shot will deal full damage so your math is correct if the enemy has no armor what so ever.

also the latron can fire faster since it doesn't need to burst 3 rounds.

Your math's looking good.

This is also why Sicarus>Lex in my opinion.

When you get used to the weapon and know how to control its recoil it's not very difficult to land at least 2 headshots per burst.

The only downside to burst-fire weapons in comparison to semi-automatic ones is their slightly worse ammo efficiency. I know they're still very efficient, but having to waste 3 shots on security cameras and when finishing off crippled enemies kind of bothers me.

you're not including the fact that body shots will be mitigated by armor which scales by enemy levels. A head shot will deal full damage so your math is correct if the enemy has no armor what so ever.

But the time between shots is nearly the same but the Burston fires 3 rounds per volley, while the Latron fires one powerful round per

Your math's looking good.

This is also why Sicarus>Lex in my opinion.

When you get used to the weapon and know how to control its recoil it's not very difficult to land at least 2 headshots per burst.

The only downside to burst-fire weapons in comparison to semi-automatic ones is their slightly worse ammo efficiency. I know they're still very efficient, but having to waste 3 shots on security cameras and when finishing off crippled enemies kind of bothers me.

The math ignores armor. Also Sicarus is quite possibly the worst firearm in the game. Lex far surpasses it, but even the Aklato surprases it so that's not saying much.

You have to remember that the delay between Latron's shots should be compared to the delay between each 3-burst on the Burston, and in that aspect, Latron is much faster. Also, the recoil of the Burston makes it much less reliable for getting headshots. You're pretty likely to completely miss parts of the burst.

The Latron at this point has lower DPS and lower damage per click by a longshot.  Why use it then?  Headshotting with the Burston at long range is very doable if you know what you're doing, but still quite difficult.  Also, when you shoot enemies with the Latron, they'll be dead that engine tick.  If you do so with the Burston, they could be as much as 60 miliseconds later which is just a tiny bit more time for them to be shooting at you.

Overall, the Burston I'd say is better if you know how to use it.

Latron Prime has a double the Crit Chance than the Burston.

Latron does not lose accuracy at long range. Burston will not get more than 1 shot in the head at more than 50m (the recoil is more than the length of a Corpus head at that distance)

Latron Prime has a double the Crit Chance than the Burston.

Latron does not lose accuracy at long range. Burston will not get more than 1 shot in the head at more than 50m (the recoil is more than the length of a Corpus head at that distance)

Critical hits are the only thing Latron prime has going for it. If you use a non critical build it is an inferior weapon because of the semi-auto glitch. Do not flame me, I am not saying its bad it just is so/so or worse with other builds.

Edited by LazyKnight

After playing with both, burston is better up close, latron is better at a distance. Latron is still a much more ammo efficient gun overall though, burston can just piss through ammo to do its damage at times.

Medium Grineer takes 33% to body, and 100% to head. Essentially 3x damage to head. I know it's 66% LESS damage to the body, and full damage to the head but for simplistic reasons I did the math by 3x damage to head. For the LatronPrime it would be 45x3=135. Now for the Burston lets say only one bullet got a headshot, and the other two were body shots. (2x30=60)+(30x3=90)=150. Already just by one bullet of the three round burst getting a head-shot the Burston did more damage than the Latron prime.

You already mixed up your equation by not applying the damage properly and being inconsistent with your math percentages.

You started it's 33% to the body, but for simplicity's sake you said it dealt 3x damage to the head to equalize it out. Then you calculated the Latron doing (45*3), which was fine, but you failed to continue multiplying that by another 3x.

So, you either calculated the damage for one bullet to the head (45 damage * 3x damage to head) or, (45 damage * 3 shots).

You really just confused yourself with your own math. If you wanted to calculate the damage value, keep it consistent and simple.

For three Latron shots: (45 full damage per bullet * 3 headshots) = 135 total

For the Burston: (30 damage per bullet * 2 body shots * 33% damage from body shot) --- 30 * 2 = 60 ---  60 * .33 = 19.8  total

Then calculate the damage for the headshot: (30 damage per bullet * 1 headshot) = 30 * 1 = 30 total

Add the two: (19.8 + 30) = 49.8 total damage

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comparatively, you can double check consistency by doing the same with the Latron, acting if it was a Burston.

(45 damage * 2 shots * 33% damage) --- (90 * 33%) = 33 total

(45 damage * 1 shot)  = 45

(45 + 33) = 78 total damage

And vice versa, making the Burston hit every shot in the head:

(30 damage * 3 bullets) = 90 total damage

Keep in mind this is total base damage, before adding armor piercing or elemental attributes.

Edited by Kielix7

You guys are ignoring fire rate.

Also, ignoring bullet placement for a moment:

Latron has a firerate of 4.2, Burston has a firerate of 5. This includes ALL shots of the burst. Let's simplify and call this shots per second(not sure that's the case). And also simplify and say every shot does perfect placement 100% damage, and ignoring crit rates.

So a Latron does 45x4.2 per second, 189 DPS. Burston does 30x5 per second, 150 DPS. Again assuming perfect placement and no crits.

Now since Latron is much more accurate and controllable and able to get those perfect placements than the Burston, and more ammo efficient, it's simply a superior weapon in every concievable way over the Burston.

You are mixing armor with innate reduction to x damage, in higher levels headshot will still being reduced by the armor if you are using normal damage.

Latron has a firerate of 4.2, Burston has a firerate of 5. This includes ALL shots of the burst. Let's simplify and call this shots per second(not sure that's the case). And also simplify and say every shot does perfect placement 100% damage, and ignoring crit rates.

So a Latron does 45x4.2 per second, 189 DPS. Burston does 30x5 per second, 150 DPS. Again assuming perfect placement and no crits.

Now since Latron is much more accurate and controllable and able to get those perfect placements than the Burston, and more ammo efficient, it's simply a superior weapon in every concievable way over the Burston.

This.

OP is only looking at damage per-mouse-click. DPS is shots per second multiplied by damage per shot.

Edited by Niavlys77

Just saying one thing not arguing with you I agree, latron prime is a top class tap damage weapon(1-3 hits) but it is very hard to use as dps weapon(It can be done but begs the question why?).

Why are you taking fire rate into account when the main point the OP was trying to make was comparing Latron and Burston damage, not overall DPS? You're discussing theory beyond the scope of this thread.

Ultimately, OP seems to be looking at the raw damage output of each weapon as comparison.

Comparing purely by per-mouse-click doesn't make sense, when you can fire at least 2 shots with the Latron in the same time you shoot 3 from the Burston. To top it off, both shots can be placed precisely where you want them.

Latron >>> Burston

Edited by Niavlys77

Ultimately, OP seems to be looking at the raw damage output of each weapon as comparison.

Comparing purely by per-mouse-click doesn't make sense, when you can fire at least 2 shots with the Latron in the same time you shoot 3 from the Burston. To top it off, both shots can be placed precisely where you want them.

Latron >>> Burston

The point was comparing just 1 trigger pull getting 3 rounds on target or 1 hit from a latron prime it a valid thing to talk about. What gun is better for a single shot rifle, not anything else.

Edited by LazyKnight

Comparing damage per mouse click between a burst fire weapon and a semi-automatic weapon is beyond redundant.

I really don't think that's what the OP is going for in the end. I think he's trying to actually figure out which is better in terms of damage output, and simply forgot that the Latron can fire more than one round within the time the Burston shoots it's 3.

It's like comparing the Ogris to the Lato. Are you going to compare those this same way? (I know, I chose the most ridiculous one I could think of).

Edited by Niavlys77

Comparing damage per mouse click between a burst fire weapon and a semi-automatic weapon is beyond redundant.

I really don't think that's what the OP is going for in the end. I think he's trying to actually figure out which is better in terms of damage output, and simply forgot that the Latron can fire more than one round within the time the Burston shoots it's 3.

It's like comparing the Ogris to the Lato. Are you going to compare those this same way? (I know, I chose the most ridiculous one I could think of).

It would be ridiculous if it was a dread/vandal snipetron verse a latron or something. People enjoy talking about what if I only had one shot for these guns are they equal?  This is just an example of is 1 bullet left the latron and 3 for the burston the same damage. The fire speed issue makes the latron win if both have 3 shots left or I am totally misunderstanding the OP.

Edited by LazyKnight