Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why the fuss over puncture mods?

TheRealTuna

Hello all!

I came across two puncture mods and am honestly questioning whether or not I should use them or just slot in extra damage. I am skeptical as to how beneficial puncture mods really are. Is the reason they are sought after because it allows one shot to hit multiple enemies (if they are lined up properly)? Enlighten me!

Lets you shoot through cover and grineer with riot shields

Lets you headshot corpus crewmembers

Lets you mow down hordes of infected (angle urself properly, dont just stand there)

Basically it makes your weapon more efficient by being able to kill things in more situations than normal, effectively increasing its damage potential by 100% (or more)when a bullet would normally not hit something

Edited by Catknip

@OP

My Hek is slotted with 2x Multishot + AP(or Fire depending on mood) + Puncture + Freeze.

You know those hordes of Chargers? Exploders? Rushing Ancients?

It slows them all in one sweep from a tidal wave to a slow trickle of molasses thanks to freeze hitting everyone and their mother.

One magazine can usually drop an entire crowd.

Sure puncture doesn't increase single-target DPS, but it can lay out mass judgement if used right.

When a pack of chargers rush you a freeze mod and a puncture mod can slow down the entire pack giving you much more time to clear them before they catch up to you. Puncture is nice as it can go through walls and cover. With enemy radar you can shoot enemies on the other side of the doors without having to move to open the door putting you in close range. It is excelent vs hordes or things that take cover as you can just shoot through the wall to hit them. You would get more out of it with a shotgun or the gorgon than you would with a single shot weapon.

It all depends what you're doing. I mostly just run infested defense missions these days where all the trash gets instantly AOE murdered. Puncture isn't that useful for killing ancients who are the only real concern there so I don't use it.

If I'm romping through a mission with lots of trash without a Mag, Frost or Excalibur it can be fun but personally more often than not I just end up blowing out windows by accident on the station when using it.

It's never saved my life but it's sure made me giggle a few times when you take out an entire line of enemies in one shot.

Edited by Mebhin

Welp, in case anyone else was wondering what the deal is with puncture mods, I can say first hand now that they are really nifty! Although they don't add raw damage, they add a lot of utility to fights and allow you to position more stratigically in certain instances (ie: I have low health, so I had behind cover and shoot through the cover to kill surrounding mobs).

I'm not positive that I like puncture on my pistol yet, but it's really really nice on HEK for sure.

Nothing. The projectile cannot puncture, crit or do AP damage.

!!!

Figures... two weeks ago I found my first puncture mod and it was for Bolto of all weapons... 3.3 the value, but i always wondered if that thing was working or not.. >.>;;

im pretty sure Puncture works on my Boltor, as ive shot through one ancient and into another and dealt dmg.

Except that may have just been a delay from one ancient falling and the projectiles you already fired hitting the one behind. Otherwise you'd be killing two at once.

I found it usefull for Kril(solo), Hek(solo), Riot sheilds, enemies in cover, lined up or stuck in a wall, no line of sight. Downside is i occasionally shoot out the window on the ship, but thats less of a problem with the new area now. Pros outweigh the Cons so i always keep mine on.

Puncture recently got a nerf where the bullets don't travel straight through anything, they're skewed in random directions.

Now, for hordes of enemies it's still very effective, as well as shooting shields and enemies behind cover, but if you're shooting from behind cover don't expect to hit anything anymore. -_-