Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bolto/Boltor offhost

shygddt

Yeah, I can't count the number of times bosses have been literally COVERED in nails and only had a few damage numbers pop up. in regards to the hackers issue, what's stopping the host from parsing through billion damage counts, exactly?

Edited by Azure_Kyte

all the hacker needs is a hit confirmation. Hit -> critical -> weakpoint.

Damage calc done by host. Snipetron. packed with + % critical damage and + % damage mods.

Finish mission 100% accuracy 100% headshot rate. Anything that wasnt a boss gibbed in 1 shot. If you were fighting the grineer boss that could do bullet attractor. Gibbed team mates in 1 shot. Or since they regester the hits they'd find a way to gib you in one shot intentionally whenever they felt like it.

Not to mention the extra packet passing steps would probably increase lag and some people seem to lag enough already.

The game most likely has measures to prevent illicit packets from being passed to other players. Bullets aren't hit scan either. They just travel much faster than a bolto bolt. Those 2 people that used to be at the top of the leaderboard because they jumped something like 150-180K kills in a couple hours probably did that solo using an aforementioned cheat method or hack. Not because they didn't want to get caught but because it wouldn't work in a game with other people.

Also I've leveled Bolto to 30 already. I never had issues hitting my mark even with a laggy host. What threw my aim off more was the way Grineers stagger when they get hit by it.

The game most likely has measures to prevent illicit packets from being passed to other players.

Bullets aren't hit scan either. They just travel much faster than a bolto bolt.

lol ok, you win, +1 made me chuckle

Seriously speaking, hope the devs can come up with a solution to this problem, I've had games where the stakes hover in front of my face for 2-3 seconds before shooting off.

everytime i get a host like this...i quit.

it doesnt matter if my bolto cant hit, but if i cant even see some enemys, or if i can see them at places where nothing is...

they can tweak the code over and over again, if the host has a bad connection, there is no reason to play, its not even a bolto problem, its a problem with the whole round then

Edited by LazerusKI

The point you missed in the first line you quoted is by doing what you suggest it opens more exploitable loopholes for people that don't want to play legitly.

Unfortunately given the way our society has evolved it seems a very large portion of honest people will only stay honest so long as you put measures in place to keep them that way.

If you're getting 2-3 seconds of lag in a game with someone then ask the host to stop downloading games through steam while playing. :P

Or look up the other thread that someone made that claims the person stuck in the "4th" party slot generally has the worst host connection in a game.

seems like its a bad idea having the game hosted on a players machine in the first place

P2P connections, besides being much easier to hack, have some fundamental flaws.

Depending on how the game is implemented, the game logic etc can actually interferer with the networking, by consuming too much CPU time.

Also for certain griefing potential you don't have to actually hack the game. There are ways in windows to block a certain connection, which is probably like a kick.

The reason P2P is used so often today is, because it is cheap. Not only in terms of servers you have to host (which could be bypassed anyway by getting a dedicated server application), but you also have to implement the server structure and make sure that they will always work with the latest release.

used so often today

Is it really? This is the first time ive played an online multiplayer game in the last 10 years that used it. Granted i only play games that, like this one, are intended to be multiplayer only. I know some singleplayer games with an online options have things hosted on one players machine.

But for an online only game it seems extreemly unusual that things are hosted like this. Particularaly for one with an income model.