Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Clan Research Can Take More Than 300 Hours Of Doing Nothing.

Onite

Im just now finding out the tip of the iceberg of how research works and my jaw hit the floor wondering who at DE thought it was a great idea to make players do absolutely nothing but waiting. Not playing their game, not participating at all. just doing nothing.

Lets say you want to make the flux rifle.

You have to build a dojo, build the energy lab and have all the resources it demands to queue your research.

Alright, fine. Farming isnt exactly fun, especially with the RNG tables being completely by chance, but fine. I did it. I got the grocery list it wanted.

I queue the research for the first thing in the tech tree. Fieldron research. Its going to take a few days. Ok, thats quite ahwhile to wait in any game just for a single item...or access to an item. So i wait. Then i go to research the prova..i wait quite a few more days for that. Pretty boring. But i wait it out. So it poops out and i shell out the credits to pull a copy of the prints out of the lab. I leave my dojo deciding im going to get to work on these weapons. But wait, whats this? No, no, that cant be right i already researched this. Why do i have to build the research again personally?

So i dig up some info on the wiki and sure enough.

I pulled out my calculator and punched in all the numbers of just the time alone it needed to make a flux rifle.

300 hours.  300 hours alone of waiting time. 300 hours is 12.5 days. Thats prettymuch half of one month. Just to get one item in the game of many.

Why? Whats the point of waiting? Its not gameplay, its not based around balance. Its not anything. Its just waiting. For half a month. Half of a month of not playing the game. For a weapon.

Theres only one thing waiting is good for. And its for torturing people with impatience. You wait them out so they'll pay money to skip the un-fun parts. You create dis-enjoyment in order to force people to pay for the ability to get back into the game and play again with their new weapon. I calculated that too. And it came out to a whopping 375 platinum if you rushed it all. (and you cant even rush the research either.)

So after looking at it. Its a really disappointing way of trying to encourage people to spend money on you. By making them wait. A very long time.

It basically tells me "You dont get to enjoy the game unless you pay this money up front. And even if you do, i'll still make you wait."

I dont know about you, but that strikes me as extremely unnecessary. Its just not fun.

See, this is where it bothers me. Ideally, free to play games usually go like

"Heres the game, you can enjoy the whole game for free in a simple form. But if you pay money, you can have much much more and have even more fun with the game than you were before."

But in warframe, its been "Heres the very rock bottom of the game. You'll only get to be taunted by timers while you claw your way up with nothing. To fully experience the game and have fun without pauses and waiting times or other purposely engineered inconveniences, youll have to pay money for normal content."

To me this is just the wrong way to push people into spending money. you're not getting anything extra, you're not getting anything worthwhile like customization options. you're paying to skip punishment. And for a videogame? Thats hardly the right model for something made to give you entertainment.

Not to mention half a month of waiting time for broke or people who dont feel like paying to avoid punishment is stupid, i wouldnt blame them if other games made them forget about that single item waiting for them back in warframe in half a month's time. (especially considering 375 platinum could buy you an entire other new release game.)

I found this rather amusing, I'm sorry but what is the reason you have to just wait and can't play, better yet why would you? I don't just sit around doing nothing while things research/build you know what I do? I go play the damn game lol. There are plenty of other weapons, warframes, alerts, void missions etc to keep me busy while other stuff is in production. Rather than doing nothing how about you just enjoy the other aspects of the game and/or occasionally play something else, or, wait for it..... maybe even get outside occasionally.

I found this rather amusing, I'm sorry but what is the reason you have to just wait and can't play, better yet why would you? I don't just sit around doing nothing while things research/build you know what I do? I go play the damn game lol. There are plenty of other weapons, warframes, alerts, void missions etc to keep me busy while other stuff is in production. Rather than doing nothing how about you just enjoy the other aspects of the game and/or occasionally play something else, or, wait for it..... maybe even get outside occasionally.

You're telling me you have to treat the waiting part of the game as if its not part of the game. And i did all the playing and grinding and farming already in the game to even get to all the research. Its pointless to keep going when the content you research is only going to make the rest of the game stale for playing 12.5 days straight waiting on a single thing. Its not like it takes 5 minutes or even an hour. It takes days at a time.

How would you like it if while you were playing some other game, i just walked into the room and turned off your computer and said "sorry. you have to wait 3-15 days unless you pay me money to keep playing. But even if you do, you still have to wait about a week eventually. but in the meantime, you can go and play other games or do things like chores!"

Im pretty sure you wouldnt find that very fun. This isnt about whether or not your life is saturated with other activites, its about this particular one putting you on a hiatus in order to keep playing. With a price tag.

Not to mention doing anything else in the game, all the content makes you wait. The only thing you can do is gather resources. But thats not necessary because you already have the resources if you're waiting on crafting/research. Nomatter where you turn in the game, you're going to get stuck behind a waiting wall.

You're also driving my own point. If you have free time to burn on entertainment, and then you do something else. Its because that thing you were doing no longer gave entertainment. So you're still agreeing with me by saying "waiting isnt fun."

Edited by Onite

This is a free-to-play game.

They need to monetize aspects of the game in order to sustain themselves.

How would you suggest they monetized the game instead?

New content does not grow on trees, neither does money.

I understand this, I'm in the middle of this process too. I just finished researching that fieldtron bullS#&$ and am now starting on the Prova. I know exactly how slow this is going to be and it does bother me. I completely agree that progress should be reinforced by gameplay, perhaps having guild activity be a catalyst to increase the progression rate of the research for example.

I think you're putting forth a very apt point and it needs to be taken into consideration but for the time being I (personally) can't think of a brilliant method of monetizing the game that makes the game incredibly fun all the time.

This is a free-to-play game.

They need to monetize aspects of the game in order to sustain themselves.

How would you suggest they monetized the game instead?

New content does not grow on trees, neither does money.

I understand this, I'm in the middle of this process too. I just finished researching that fieldtron bullS#&$ and am now starting on the Prova. I know exactly how slow this is going to be and it does bother me. I completely agree that progress should be reinforced by gameplay, perhaps having guild activity be a catalyst to increase the progression rate of the research for example.

I think you're putting forth a very apt point and it needs to be taken into consideration but for the time being I (personally) can't think of a brilliant method of monetizing the game that makes the game incredibly fun all the time.

Its actually pretty simple. You simply make it so people who pay cash get something for their cash. You give them carrots instead of paying to avoid the stick.

Examples:

Re-usable gear items, customization options is the big one though.

Just think about it. When you build up a game, people come to play it if its good. If they're enjoying a game, they'll invest to enjoy it further. Its based on attachment. You make something good enough to turn someone into a fan. Where when you mention the name people smile and go "YOU PLAY THAT TOO?" Not go "Ugh...yeah...." Because they're embarassed that they got impatient and shelled out enough money to try to play a free to play game.

Going back to customization. How much would you like things like weapon skins? Like having two tone iridescent finishes? Or even choosing a matte finish on your gun? You know how many people would pay cash to get a vandal version of a gun just for its looks? Or even other kinds of looks similar to or not similar to vandal.

Things like animations as well. How cool would it be if you could buy different 'styles' for your character? So his animations are different than the default? Really personalizing your character is fun to everyone and anyone. No one really dislikes customization. Everyone likes to feel unique. So if they get attached to the game, they'll likely invest in customization to satisfy their hobby.

As for re-usable gear items. Its not overpowered. And its convenient. I would actually pay platinum for things like that, myself.

Im only a single player and i can brainstorm this kind of stuff, im sure the team that developed it could come up with much much more because they know the game better. (hopefully...)

Besides, if they truly couldn't afford to risk making the game free, they would have made it a box retail title, wouldnt they?

So you cant tell me its free to play if its only an illusion. Its a wait or pay to play game. Which means you pick a lesser of the two evils. You pay because you can afford it and dont want to wait, or you're broke and dont feel like paying is worth it anyway. In which case, you're probably going to want to play the game less and check out other games more. Kindof like when you're in the doctors waiting room and you still pick up the magazines that look like boring crap.

Edited by Onite

You're telling me you have to treat the waiting part of the game as if its not part of the game. And i did all the playing and grinding and farming already in the game to even get to all the research. Its pointless to keep going when the content you research is only going to make the rest of the game stale for playing 12.5 days straight waiting on a single thing. Its not like it takes 5 minutes or even an hour. It takes days at a time.

How would you like it if while you were playing some other game, i just walked into the room and turned off your computer and said "sorry. you have to wait 3-15 days unless you pay me money to keep playing. But even if you do, you still have to wait about a week eventually. but in the meantime, you can go and play other games or do things like chores!"

Im pretty sure you wouldnt find that very fun. This isnt about whether or not your life is saturated with other activites, its about this particular one putting you on a hiatus in order to keep playing. With a price tag.

Not to mention doing anything else in the game, all the content makes you wait. The only thing you can do is gather resources. But thats not necessary because you already have the resources if you're waiting on crafting/research. Nomatter where you turn in the game, you're going to get stuck behind a waiting wall.

You're also driving my own point. If you have free time to burn on entertainment, and then you do something else. Its because that thing you were doing no longer gave entertainment. So you're still agreeing with me by saying "waiting isnt fun."

Nothing is stopping you from playing other parts of Warframe while you wait for other parts of the game to finish. It's just your stubbornness that's preventing you from doing so. 

Nothing is stopping you from playing other parts of Warframe while you wait for other parts of the game to finish. It's just your stubbornness that's preventing you from doing so. 

I've already played the rest of the game. And even then the rest of the game is reliant on waiting on crafting. I built an entire dojo by myself. i farmed the entire thing. I've already run like everything. nothing is left for me in the game except for research and those weapons. I also cant do much else because it requires platinum. This is my entire arguement.

The wait times are just roadblocks with a toll booth. You're telling me "when it gets boring, try to do something else that isnt boring in the game."

Im sorry but the game doesnt really have enough content to have that much depth where you can choose different activities.

If it did, i wouldnt be here minding the wait.

The problem is your attitude tells me "you either need to find waiting for nothing fun, or go away."

Like those are my only two options. Instead, i chose to start a topic to raise awareness and understanding of how this isnt necessary at all, where we could influence the game to be much much more. That way everyone, yourself included, could get more enjoyment out of the game.

Edited by Onite

My little Clan is researching.

We meet up everyday and do a couple of Defenses and boss runs, and run around in our Dojo teabagging statues, leaving silly messages in each room and running in circles around Reactors. Whoever falls into the pit loses.

The issue is that they're not monetizing the research item for me. You literally HAVE to wait 3 days for each stage of research, with not "put platinum in to go faster" button.

Plus the OP is a little off kilter. The game is not content locked. The game does not take away all of your weapons while you research so you can still play. Saying you won't (can't [sic]) play for 12.5 days except to log in and queue research because you want the shiny is a personal issue, not a community one.

On the other hand, I personally am levelling up and playing with the other guns while I wait for the research to progress.

I've already played the rest of the game. And even then the rest of the game is reliant on waiting on crafting. I built an entire dojo by myself. i farmed the entire thing. I've already run like everything. nothing is left for me in the game except for research and those weapons. I also cant do much else because it requires platinum. This is my entire arguement.

The wait times are just roadblocks with a toll booth. You're telling me "when it gets boring, try to do something else that isnt boring in the game."

Im sorry but the game doesnt really have enough content to have that much depth where you can choose different activities.

If it did, i wouldnt be here minding the wait.

The problem is your attitude tells me "you either need to find waiting for nothing fun, or go away."

Like those are my only two options. Instead, i chose to start a topic to raise awareness and understanding of how this isnt necessary at all, where we could influence the game to be much much more. That way everyone, yourself included, could get more enjoyment out of the game.

This is still just your own perspective on this getting in the way. If you're bored of the game then do something that's entertaining, either in-game, in another game or, god forbid, in real life. It isn't a roadblock even in the slightest. If you're waiting to get your hands on a weapon then okay, you can wait, but it's not STOPPING you, locking your character in place, depleting all your ammunition and making every energy orb subtract from your power pool. You can still play, if you don't want to wait then I can appreciate that, but wait you must. Just like everyone else who's crafted the guns before you.

Edited by J-Pax

The issue is that they're not monetizing the research item for me. You literally HAVE to wait 3 days for each stage of research, with not "put platinum in to go faster" button.

Plus the OP is a little off kilter. The game is not content locked. The game does not take away all of your weapons while you research so you can still play. Saying you won't (can't [sic]) play for 12.5 days except to log in and queue research because you want the shiny is a personal issue, not a community one.

On the other hand, I personally am levelling up and playing with the other guns while I wait for the research to progress.

You're still having to craft and wait on those guns as well. OR you paid platinum to even have more spaces to hold more weapons. Its still a problem.

You either pay or you wait a very long time. You cant level new guns if you dont have the room for them.

Just answer me one question:

Why should anyone have to wait or have waited 2-6 days for anything in the game?

Edited by Onite

So lets assume you play 6 hours a day (thats a fair chunk) that is still only 25% of the time of the research you could be playing.  You dont have to be logged in to the game while the research is happening.

Want to sleep, research is happening.

Want to see a movie, research is happening.

Want to hang out with friends, research is happening.

Need to work, research is happening.

Want to play other games, research is happening

Some 5 mins every 3 days to queue the research is all you need to do, the rest of the time you can do as you please and the research will still happen.

Honestly sounds like you could use the time away because you are bored with the game, but you have the option to do that and still have progression in the game as well.

Why should anyone have to wait or have waited 2-6 days for anything in the game?

Its designed for you to be playing the game or living your life while it happens in the background.

Its designed for you to be playing the game or living your life while it happens in the background.

Thats a completely bullS#&$ reason to add waiting time. You're basically trying to say DE are my parents and are allowed to try to tell me what im supposed to do with my free time.

You're also implying that you have to be a casual gamer in order to enjoy warframe. Which i find laughable considering how much time is demanded in order to craft and get most of the content in the game.

Your arguement is also "you have to not play the game in order to play the game."

Which is my entire point of this thread. Do you really think making people wait extremely extended periods of time for in game content is a good idea?

"living your life while it happens in the background." So basically warframe has to not matter to you in order to play it? And you're also ignoring the fact that given if it was put in place to make you do other things, thats completely up in the air and doesnt matter if you have deep pockets.

You're basically telling me its ok to be obsessive and unhealthy if you have money.

I'm sorry but i find your point invalid when the wait times could simply only take like an hour to 3 hours max. I dont know about you, but even watching a movie, sleeping, seeing friends, and working are all done in one day, 24 hours later from the research. You still have to wait. Like another 74 or more for a single item. Even then you log in, start the research, log out. Warframe should be more than that and could be if the research and crafting times were cut down to realistic times.

You're still having to craft and wait on those guns as well. OR you paid platinum to even have more spaces to hold more weapons. Its still a problem.

You either pay or you wait a very long time. You cant level new guns if you dont have the room for them.

Never played Eve huh?

By the by, I still do not see your argument. Why do you have to wait? Essentially every game with loot involved is a waiting game. Why do you have to wait....you don't. You're stuck on the idea, at least to me, that you HAVE TO HAVE these research items and can not play, at all, not one second, while they're being researched.

If you're arguing for a "rush for platinum" button, then I'd support that. If you're arguing against the research timer in general, well, research takes time, just be grateful it's not decades like some real life subjects :P For me the 3 day timer isn't an issue, I'm playing the game while It's going and levelling up my other weapons, seeing which ones fit my taste in terms of game play. The time it takes to research is not wasting youtime, which is what I'm getting is the general feeling of your argument. You feel like this research mechanic is wasting your time. It's not, plain and simple. Nor does it waste anyone's time. In all fairness, the foundry system is infinitely worse for wasting your time. You want Rhino? Go farm Fossa for hours. No materials? Go farm the planets with the materials required until you have enough. Oh snap, don't have 60k credits? Well....you get the jist. You're attacking a system that really does not impact your gameplay nearly as much as a prior system in place. For a solo built clan the costs on these weapons to research are miniscule.

EDIT: Reading back it seems like you're desperate for the weapons in general, I get the sentiment but it's not the be all end all of the game. Just to make a point - having a single and dual bronco's crafted from scratch requires 60k credits, 6 Neurodes, 3600 alloy plates, 2100 ferrite and 2400 polymer bundles, and the total crafting time if I even have all the materials together in the first place is at least 24 hours, not including the time spent farming for the materials in the first place. So, yeah. 3 days sounds reasonable to me.

Edited by J-Pax

I think that the research timer should be able to be brought down by playing, doing specific Research missions (Energy lab = corpus missions, Chem lab = Grineer mission, Bio lab = Infested mission) 

Completing these missions reduce the time required to research by 2-3 seconds per player.

It would give you something to do, farm for materials and such.

Thats a completely bullS#&$ reason to add waiting time. You're basically trying to say DE are my parents and are allowed to try to tell me what im supposed to do with my free time.

You're also implying that you have to be a casual gamer in order to enjoy warframe. Which i find laughable considering how much time is demanded in order to craft and get most of the content in the game.

Your arguement is also "you have to not play the game in order to play the game."

Which is my entire point of this thread. Do you really think making people wait extremely extended periods of time for in game content is a good idea?

"living your life while it happens in the background." So basically warframe has to not matter to you in order to play it? And you're also ignoring the fact that given if it was put in place to make you do other things, thats completely up in the air and doesnt matter if you have deep pockets.

You're basically telling me its ok to be obsessive and unhealthy if you have money.

I'm sorry but i find your point invalid when the wait times could simply only take like an hour to 3 hours max. I dont know about you, but even watching a movie, sleeping, seeing friends, and working are all done in one day, 24 hours later from the research. You still have to wait. Like another 74 or more for a single item. Even then you log in, start the research, log out. Warframe should be more than that and could be if the research and crafting times were cut down to realistic times.

Actually I'm not saying any of that at all, thats all in your head.

Actually I'm not saying any of that at all, thats all in your head.

So lets assume you play 6 hours a day (thats a fair chunk) that is still only 25% of the time of the research you could be playing.  You dont have to be logged in to the game while the research is happening.

Want to sleep, research is happening.

Want to see a movie, research is happening.

Want to hang out with friends, research is happening.

Need to work, research is happening.

Want to play other games, research is happening

Some 5 mins every 3 days to queue the research is all you need to do, the rest of the time you can do as you please and the research will still happen.

Honestly sounds like you could use the time away because you are bored with the game, but you have the option to do that and still have progression in the game as well.

Didnt seem so to me.

Im not saying things shouldnt take time. But taking such an extended amount of time to the point where you're not playing the game and you have to throw in the towel for a day is annoying. Anything you craft/research in the game, you will never see in the same day. Unless you pay for it, which bothers me. It bothers me because not something you should have to pay for. I understand money has to come from somewhere in the game, but making players pay so they're not losing time is extreme. It should be the other way around. Like affinity boosters.

Waiting on things in the game would be much more tolerable if the game itself didnt revolve around that single point of waiting.

It annoys me that you could spend alot of time farming or progressing through the game, but you wont have anything to show for it until you're done waiting an extra amount of time for the stuff to come out of refining/crafting. 30 minutes? ok sure, i can leave and come back after a few missions or something. I could go shopping irl. But 4 days or more? Thats insane, everything basically comes to a halt at that point. If i could use an analogy to symbolize the wait, its like sitting in a restaurant waiting for food. I expect the food to take time to prepare, you know. 20 minutes to maybe even an hour tops. But if that restaurant was warframe. It would be like when the restaurant is full, and you get told a table will be available in 4 hours. In 4 hours, you're not going to be hungry anymore, you could go and eat some snacks, watch a movie, or two, or three. But eventually its not going to look as good anymore until later in the week when you build up an appetite again. but as soon as you get there and you made reservations this time, you sit down and then you end up waiting 3 hours for the food to get to you. Its just unnecessary when the necessary time could just be 30 minutes on average.

Its not a question of IF you can distract yourself for that long, but WHY its necessary to even have to wait that long at all. I dont care how patient you think you are, you would be having much more fun with the game if you also didnt have to wait as long. You want to play the game and get the materials and credits and stuff, not do that stuff as a distraction to waiting.

You say "play videogames" while im waiting for a videogame. Well obviously that game doesnt make you wait either and if it did, you would be in an endless cycle of waiting. Why not just not have to wait ridiculous amounts of time for warframe? you dont HAVE to play other games because you already have a game to play. Thats how it honestly should be. Why cant warframe be that game you play while you wait on other things, like things in the oven irl?

I agree with the grinding, personaly I feel that wastes your time far more than the build times becuse its forcing you to do similar or the same mission (with warframes) over and over again.  Build times let you have the choice of what you want to do with that time, be it play the game, or do stuff outside the game.

Actually thats where I think your perception is off.  Its more you are given your dinner, and can order your dinner for tomorrow at the same point, so when you return and sit down you can eat without waiting for them to cook it, if something new is on the menu you have to wait for tomorrow to eat it as you already have todays meal.

For me the build times are like a preorder on a computer game, you order it now and once its done you get it.  Unfortunatly if you played the closed beta of the game you preordered to death and it ends, you are now just waiting on the release to play more of what you already played.

Build times are more a design aspect for new players not those that have done and own everything.  Getting in eairly and doing everything means its on you to find things to fill in the time with, thats the point of a beta.  I'm not against them having the ability to pay to rush research however, im guessing its not an option to have stopped the mega clans getting all the weapons in day one.

The alternative is they make the resource costs huge to cause some time delay in it all, which means you have to do farming to get them, thus them forcing what you do with your time.

so if you research you cant do anything else ok i get it.

also in the foundry you build weapons not research them and in clan you dont build them you research them thats why you get a blue print and not a complete weapon... who would have guessed.

and you should be used to long wait times as every warframe takes about 3 days at minimum to make

He answers himself rather well. He did it all himself, by himself. The game is a COOPERATIVE, COMMUNITY game.

It makes you wait 3 days per each so that we don't have millions of 1 person clans with max research. It actually pays off to join an established clan instead, and learn to get along with them.

If you *want* to do it all by yourself, you can, but there's no advantage to it.

Oh, and 12 days is closer to 1/3rd of a month, not 1/2(40% or less). But hey, it's part of the melodrama of "why can't I solo better!?!?"

He answers himself rather well. He did it all himself, by himself. The game is a COOPERATIVE, COMMUNITY game.

It makes you wait 3 days per each so that we don't have millions of 1 person clans with max research. It actually pays off to join an established clan instead, and learn to get along with them.

If you *want* to do it all by yourself, you can, but there's no advantage to it.

Oh, and 12 days is closer to 1/3rd of a month, not 1/2(40% or less). But hey, it's part of the melodrama of "why can't I solo better!?!?"

12 is exactly 40% of 30.  there are 730.484 hours in a month. 300 is closer to one third of 730?

This thread isnt even about whats "half of x" Its about how warframe could be more fun. Getting more enjoyment out of the game.

Also it used to be that having a large clan helped, but now its based on size. So no, its not better to just make things en masse groups. Unless you're a freeloader who joins a dojo that already has everything done already prior to your joining. Which to me is just lazy. Even when you do that, that research had to be done by those people at some point in time. and im sure those people really wish they didnt have to wait 300 hours to get into research.

I mean, the fun of the game is playing the game. Is it not? The time taken to get your stuff should be in the resource cost and the mastery requirement. Its also about building that dojo one room at a time, after grinding for forma for hours and hours. for every. single. room. You actually feel like you made something. like you're getting somewhere. Theres no reason to finally get to the point where you're finally at that golden moment where your resources are spent, just to be put on hiatus only to be put on hiatus again. And again. And again.

You know when you're watching a video and it constantly buffers because its cannot keep up with the play speed? that is like the waiting times for warframe. Except they're designed to be there. For money.

You dont think that could have been better designed at all? No improvements at all?  No better way to avoid any chance of the game being intentionally boring?  That is my entire concern and point.

You're complaining that you have to build/research everything alone when you built a dojo for a clan. Invite some people, reach the cap and start researching. My clan build and researched everything when it was available, resources weren't an issue. I couldn't gather all the Fieldron for Dera and Supra when the research was done, hell - I'm still making Fieldrons or Supra to this day.

Maybe you should focus on not looking at the countdown to research finish, but rather playing the game so that you have the needed resources when the research is done or well - do as EVE players do when they craft/research things. Logout and come back when it's done. :)

I work about 8 to 9 hours a day.

By time I am done with work and reached home, 12 hours are gone.

So everything flies pass for me very quickly.

So instead of waiting for research, I take my 2 to 3 hours of daily game time and do productive or outright silly stuff.

Carry newbies, mark mods for them and yell hey serration / hornet strike here, you will need it !

Help them unlock content etc.

Farm for fun with clan mates,

Level up stuff.

Do solo challenge run. Even time myself with a stop watch and see how fast I drop a boss and get out.

Solo games with unpotatoed frames. Solo defense with a new frame etc.