Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lag And Hosts With Bad Bandwidth

truthless

I'm not sure if this counts as a bug or just a grievous error in the matchmaking. In short, you guys need to take a look at how much bandwidth a host requires and adapt the online mode to suit that. More than half the time I queue online I end up with a laggy host. We're talking monstrous "oh I guess I missed that wave" in endless defense kind of lag. Delays beyond 5-10 seconds for your shots, abilities and pickups to register. It makes the game literally unplayable.

I have way more issues with it in Europe than when I queue on NA East (even though I reside in Sweden), so I'm guessing it's all the eastern europe countries who have low bandwidth and can't manage to host a 4-player game. More severe checks need to be put in place for this so that these players aren't made to host, but rather forced to join hosts who fulfill the minimum bandwidth requirements.

Edited by truthless

Game performance is flawless when I play with friends. I use a ping limit of 200 (100 below the default of 300).

It's almost exclusively a problem when I play on the europe server and I almost always try to chat up the host, they always have bad english skils, which lead me to believe it's eastern europeans with limited uploads. Their nets are not good for hosting games.

I can see how they'd oversee this as most people in NA have decent uploads, but when you're sitting on modem speeds you can't really be hosting a fps game for 4 players.

Ping/latency is not the issue here, bandwidth is. You can have a ping in the 20s or 30s and have woefully insufficient bandwidth to host other players.

I also run a ping limit of 200 and frequently encounter hosts that make the game completely unplayable.

I second this.

When u see ***.***.**** in chat windows, well...

Anyways, only ways for me to deal are: Check if they're actually able to do the mission with me just "teleporting by", from time to time, or not.

If not, abort and repeat (but host myself this time :D )

I have the same issue some times, I set my ping limit to 200.  The default 300 is to high, but any lower may make it hard to get matched up.  But... Even so, I get matches some times that are abominable crap fests of lag.  I would assume that this is mostly due to bandwidth but also people hosting on PCs that can't handle it.  People that shouldn't be hosting should not be allowed to host, it ruins the game.

Honestly I think they whole region matchmaking thing needs to go.  By default I am in the North American East matchmaking region, but I get just as many good and bad connections when I change it to the European or North American West.  If nothing else let us use multiple regions at once, swapping between them to get the time zone with more active players depending when I am on is irritating. 

My point is the region setting for match making don't help anything at this point.  I would rather we get some sort of filter for people that shouldn't ever be hosting(for whatever reason.. bandwidth, crap PC, ping).

The problem is that a big upload capacity isn`t as far spread througout the people as many think but this game needs a lot of upload from the host. The average german customers for example has an upload of ~1000k/bit or less, which doesn`t fit the games need to host, especially with ts3 or skype or what else running too.