Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Replaying Sorties

TheBubbleman

It's pretty disappointing when you get to end of a rousing 3-mission challenge only to be handed something you didn't really want.

I'm sure lots of us can relate, right? You sit there and look at your 4th Anasa Sculpture in a row and say, "Well, maybe tomorrow." IF you get the chance to play tomorrow. Doesn't matter if you have time to play some more today; all you can do to get the lens or the riven you're after is close warframe and come back to it whenever you can.

But what if it didn't have to be that way?

As I was playing today's sortie, an idea came to me. You know how every sortie has a stipulation to it? Low energy; eximus stronghold; bow only? Well, what if, when you finished a sortie, the sortie reset, and made it so you wouldn't get the same reward again (similar to what they used to do back when the Nezha parts were in there), but now there were TWO stipulations?

Imagine: venturing back up against the high-level enemies for another chance at the loot you want, if you dare. Facing waves of Eximus units with only a bow; facing heavily armored units with a cryogenic leak. Still don't get the loot you're after? Well, now there are THREE handicaps and a chance to prove that you and your warframe together can conquer the impossible.

What do you say, ninjas? Do you want that?

Edited by TheBubbleman

Shameless plug.

On 9/28/2017 at 4:35 PM, JuicyButthurt said:

It would be nice if Sorties rewarded players the same way Relics do, every player gets a separate roll and then you can decide if you want to keep it or change it. This would also have greater psychological effect as the player will at least get to choose the least-bad item of the bunch.

I don't like the idea of repeating the sortie, having more chances or at least some aspect of choice seems much more appealing. Thus I do agree that the first response would be at least better.

I think another possible solution would be to perhaps provide some kind of currency or exchange system for Sortie rewards. While this could have some problems it would also at least give some aspect of certainty. It seems with how the current system works half the time I don't even want to take the time to do the Sortie because the rewards are too uncertain. Especially with Rivens seemingly much more rare than their listed rarity, even if you get one the chances of it being a weapon you actually use (or even really desirable) is even more slim. Being able to purchase a desired reward would be a welcome change of pace, and might actually positively affect the ridiculous economy around Rivens.

4 hours ago, Xelcir said:

I think another possible solution would be to perhaps provide some kind of currency or exchange system for Sortie rewards. While this could have some problems it would also at least give some aspect of certainty.

It doesn't have to have problems. If implemented correctly - a contingency approach - then it preserves the RNG factors in the system as it stands (beneficial and otherwise) while still granting the player that safety net against poor luck.

1) Define a relative valuation for each reward based on rarity

Facilitate the currency pricing further on. This value will be the 'buy price' for any given reward.

2) Identify any exemptions from the currency redemption

Because 4000 Endo is ~10x the effectiveness of a Legendary Core, but doesn't also exempt credits, which are valued/devalued differently per player. Any non-exclusive  'Legendary Rewards' would likely be exempt from currency purchase. (It's the only way to get L-Cores but they aren't functionally unique from accruing Endo+Credits)

3) Decide on the 'contingency threshold' and derive proportional values for unwanted rewards

For example, deciding that a player should be able to get their desired rare reward once per three unwanted rare rewards; rare rewards give 33% of their price in currency. This step preserves the 'lucky' side of RNG.

4) At end of Sortie, allow the player to accept their random reward OR receive the proportional value in currency.

Finally, we arrive at the point where the player can decide they don't want another Anasa Statue, redeeming it for currency instead, and after <step 3 proportion> times of getting an Anasa Statue they can just go buy their Riven mod of choice (assuming Anasa Statues = Riven Mods in functional rarity, not just both being 'common').

A player with enough spare Endo and all maxed mods might even want to redeem a Legendary Core and pick up a Rare or two of their choice for free (depending on the relative rarity pricing and proportional valuation of 'selling').

The best outcome of a Sortie is getting just what you want at the end of the third mission. This hasn't changed.

The worst outcome of a Sortie under this system is that you're a fractional step closer to something that interests you; while currently the worst outcome is something essentially useless. I have more Reactors than I will probably ever use.

Edited by EDYinnit

• 2 weeks later...

That is great EDyinnit, I would be ok with that. For me, I am largely a solo player & I pretty much won't even take a Sortie that I can't solo the last part of (usually something stealthy). Even then the rewards barely seem worth it. The only reason I currently run the sortie is for a chance at Rivens or lenses (hoping its a focus school I use). Even at MR16 I have very little need or desire for catalysts, reactors, L-cores, etc., however the exclusive rewards (Rivens & lens [I know lens' are on the plains now too]) are almost a necessity.