The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Udp Warnings - Again...

magusat999

I FIXED the UDP problem. My chat is working just fine - why am I still getting the "NETWORK PROBLEM DETECTED! Strict NAT detected. UPnP not detected. Please forward UDP ports xxxx & xxxx to xxx.xxx.x.xx x" warning at login??? I do not have strict NAT, UPnP is enabled. UDP ports specified have been forwarded - so what gives here? Everything works just fine after hitting okay - so whats up with this irritating warning?

Maybe you guys should consider suing a different protocol alternatively to UDP - while I don't have a problem at home, I run into a lot of wireless areas (hotspots) that disable it altogether. Make your own chat device and license it out to others like everyone else in the gaming industry does with their proprietary stuff!

I FIXED the UDP problem. My chat is working just fine - why am I still getting the "NETWORK PROBLEM DETECTED! Strict NAT detected. UPnP not detected. Please forward UDP ports xxxx & xxxx to xxx.xxx.x.xx x" warning at login??? I do not have strict NAT, UPnP is enabled. UDP ports specified have been forwarded - so what gives here? Everything works just fine after hitting okay - so whats up with this irritating warning?

Are you sure everything is working fine? You can host games without issue?

If you have multiple NICs on your system, have you tried prioritizing the correct one?

Maybe you guys should consider suing a different protocol alternatively to UDP - while I don't have a problem at home, I run into a lot of wireless areas (hotspots) that disable it altogether. Make your own chat device and license it out to others like everyone else in the gaming industry does with their proprietary stuff!

This is probably one of the worst suggestions I have ever heard.

which gaming industry do that lol. ain't nobody got time for that :D

(a little OOT) no dude. this is the worsthttps://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/85349-switch-udp-to-tcp/

Are you sure everything is working fine? You can host games without issue?

If you have multiple NICs on your system, have you tried prioritizing the correct one?

Yes I can host games just fine.

As far as what I said about game developer's making proprietary tools and licensing them out - this is a common practice across the entire industry - there are even whole games dedicated to "showing off" a studio's specific in-house tool so that they can make money from other companies utilizing it. Ever heard of a game engine? Its the same concept as the Unreal or ICE engines (those are just.01% of an example - don't get distracted...). As a matter of fact there are game companies who make more money licensing their tools than they do game sales. So no it isn't a bad idea - if it works better than UDP, which it WILL, then it's a great idea and another way to make gobs of cash from companies who face the same limitations.

Well, that's certainly close.

Yes I can host games just fine.

As far as what I said about game developer's making proprietary tools and licensing them out - this is a common practice across the entire industry - there are even whole games dedicated to "showing off" a studio's specific in-house tool so that they can make money from other companies utilizing it. Ever heard of a game engine? Its the same concept as the Unreal or ICE engines (those are just.01% of an example - don't get distracted...). As a matter of fact there are game companies who make more money licensing their tools than they do game sales. So no it isn't a bad idea - if it works better than UDP, which it WILL, then it's a great idea and another way to make gobs of cash from companies who face the same limitations.

You don't need a new, proprietary protocol which will invariably have more overhead, and hugenormous compatability problems (namely not being a part of TCP/IP which essentially the whole internet is based on), when UDP works perfectly fine when combined with good application level error correction.

If it's not UDP or TCP, it doesn't even get sent over a lot of networks.

The comparison you make between a whole new low level network protocol and a game engine is flawed. This would be tantamount to a whole new 3D API, which of course, nothing could use. If it's not OpenGL, or D3D, virtually no modern graphics hardware will accelerate it, and it won't matter how good it is.

Bottom line is, if it's not TCP or UDP, a large portion of the internet won't be able to exchange data with it.

Edited by Saenol