Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lets Talk Waypoints

truthless

Having played a lot of online lately, I would love to see the waypoint system enhanced. It's the primary form of communication, especially since it transcends language barriers and allows the player to keep playing without having to stop and type. Here's a few of my suggestions on how to improve the system;

1) Always show the endpoint of the waypoint, not just the "partway" point. Big, multi-tiered rooms like the Grineer Galleon Endless Defense room easily trick you into going a long way around to somewhere you could've just as easily jumped off a ledge if you had known. A good solution is to have the endpoint be visible, but faded out, when there's a partway point.

2) "Resource", and perhaps a separate entry for "Research" should be automatically tagged when you point straight at it (as it is with Module currently). With how important resources have become, I don't see why they should disappear completely either after you pick them up. Allow them an after-glow like the modules have, until each player has picked them up.

3) Holding down the waypoint hotkey should pop up a "com-rose" which allows you to pick between different waypoint options by flicking your mouse to that side and releasing it. Module/Resource/Research being the obvious ones, but others could be useful; "Defend" and "Attack" come to mind.

4) Consider having a way to tell the waypoints apart. Something as simple as having a 1/2/3/4 in front of the waypoint tag, with each number assigned to a player. (Why aren't all players health and energy bars not always visible by the way? Why do we have to escape out to show this?)

5) Allow us a way to remove a waypoint. Waypointing a second time on the same spot for example, or as an option on the com-rose mentioned above in point 3.

Anyway, those are my ideas. Might add more later if I think of anything else.

Will highlight some replies below, which I thought were good additions!

1-Perhaps instead of having a faded endpoint, keep the normal icon at the endpoint, and make a new arrow-like icon at the midpoint, so that players who know how to navigate the room can ignore the midpoint and be able to go to the endpoint again. Just having the waypoint at the midpoint is really detrimental to quick room navigation. For players that can't / don't want to figure out how to get around a room, they can watch the midpoint as it takes them along the longest route to the exit, but players that want to get along in the mission are forced to run around to every door until the waypoint bothers to show which one is the one they need to go out.

2- I also feel like waypoints that have been locked-on to resources should last twice as long as waypoints that aren't pointing at anything.

I think generally waypoints could use some love.

1 and 2 I agree with. 3 I kind of agree with. Waypoint options would be great, but to head off any griefing at the pass I would not allow "Module", "Resource"/"Material" or "Enemy" to be player-selectable options. This, plus a fix for the host's waypoints not registering when modules are targeted would keep the important stuff out of griefer's reach, without harming gameplay for others.

4 - again, absolutely. 1/2/3/4 or, even easier, the player's name accompanying the waypoint marker.

As for your parentheses - I believe Z is the default key to show squad vital statistics. By default, unfortunately, it displays in the busy area where chat and the Lotus pop up. No doubt this will get some consideration in the UI overhaul, when they get to the HUD.

Edited by truthless

I think generally waypoints could use some love.

1 and 2 I agree with. 3 I kind of agree with. Waypoint options would be great, but to head off any griefing at the pass I would not allow "Module", "Resource"/"Material" or "Enemy" to be player-selectable options. This, plus a fix for the host's waypoints not registering when modules are targeted would keep the important stuff out of griefer's reach, without harming gameplay for others.

4 - again, absolutely. 1/2/3/4 or, even easier, the player's name accompanying the waypoint marker.

As for your parentheses - I believe Z is the default key to show squad vital statistics. By default, unfortunately, it displays in the busy area where chat and the Lotus pop up. No doubt this will get some consideration in the UI overhaul, when they get to the HUD.

1-Perhaps instead of having a faded endpoint, keep the normal icon at the endpoint, and make a new arrow-like icon at the midpoint, so that players who know how to navigate the room can ignore the midpoint and be able to go to the endpoint again. Just having the waypoint at the midpoint is really detrimental to quick room navigation. For players that can't / don't want to figure out how to get around a room, they can watch the midpoint as it takes them along the longest route to the exit, but players that want to get along in the mission are forced to run around to every door until the waypoint bothers to show which one is the one they need to go out.

2- I also feel like waypoints that have been locked-on to resources should last twice as long as waypoints that aren't pointing at anything.

Edited by Toom1275

Nice addendums, I agree :) Adding them to the original post, if you don't mind.

Edited by truthless

@4 Just press Z to see other players Health. it obscures  chat though,

My bad, didn't know of this feature. Still, it would be nice if it was visible by default and in a position that isn't taking up vital screenspace. An MMORPG-like display, if you will.

My bad, didn't know of this feature. Still, it would be nice if it was visible by default and in a position that isn't taking up vital screenspace. An MMORPG-like display, if you will.

Yeah agreed, Somewhere visible yet in a way that it doesnt take away your battlefield visibility.  For a Tenno a clear live of view is a necessity. yet knowing the info from your partners (And your sentinel)  is vital. 

+1

I like to see a automatic mod and resource marker so that I do not need to depend on other player to tag/mark mods and resource there is also the risk of unintentional false way-points where I already have retrieved the drop. There is also a way to add more information to the side of the mini map for example like a counter that shows how many mods and/or resource drops there is currently on the level (Also a option to disable individual counters for players that finds them to distracting) and unique colors for mods, resource and research material for example Blue= Mod, Yellow= Research, Green= Research material, Red(new)= Mission targets/assassination or even better let the individual player choose what color they want in the options menu. Also a button to show and hide markers except for target and way-points markers.

Although this suggestion is not directly about waypoints, it would help navigation in general if the mini map was 3D like in the metroid prime series. Which also brings up another suggestion that is a "Full Map View" option. (This would be a GREAT addition for dojos)