Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How about a quick use Operator option? (For those who don't like using them manualy)

Othergrunty

A little disclaimer first:

I don't mind the Operators or DE adding functions to them that requires us to use them manualy. They are not what i would have liked for the presentation of the player characters. But DE added them to the game and story and i accept that. So this is not about me wanting this kind of option because of being bitter about the changes to the focus system and there now being another combat encounter that requires us to use them.

What is this about?:

However i do notice there are quite a lot of people who do dislike the Operators (some to the point of wishing them gone again) in general or at least DE adding situations where players are required to use them manualy. Since it interrupts their usage of the Warframes as the main form of their player characters.

Now personaly i'm under the impression that DE added these "need to use Operators" situations to jusify the extra work of making them directly controllable as many actualy wanted. I remember several calls for: "At least let us walk around on the ship with them." Though again, i could read their intentions wrong here. Still in retrospective it reminds me to players wanting to manualy equip their melee weapons back in 2013, which led to the extra systems of stances and channeling not everyone is happy with.

With that in mind. How about a sort of "Quick Operator" option to be able to use their powers for the encounters that requires them (Kuva Guardians, Sentient resistance, Stalker, Eidolons) without having to use them manualy? Basicly like the above mentioned melee system we have.

Visualy this could have the Operator appearing in ghostly form and performing a support move, while you stay in controll of your Warframe the whole time. Turning the Operators into sort of "supporting characters" in the missions.

Similar to how your support character in the 2009 version of Prince of Persia would appear to make you double jump or stun enemies by throwing her at them. Another example can be found in Shadow of Mordor/War where the main character is bound to an elven ghost who in some attacks would appear to assist you.

While it's unlikely the devs can please everyone here, i do think that adding a second quicker option to having to use the Operator powers could ease on the players hating to have to use them .

An example on how "Quick Operator" mode could work:

In terms of gameplay i would propose an option you can select, similar to how you can switch off first person sniper scopes or switch between old and new Archwing controlls in the options menu.

Let's call this option "Allow quick use Operator". When it's off, it works like it does now. Press 5 (or otherkey bound to that option) and you bring your Operator into the mission to controll them directly. However if the option is on, pressing 5 will instead have the Operator appear in ghostly (transparent and glowing) form and perform one of 3 support moves.

To select the move you want you can hold down 5 at which point a small radial menu could appear. Then you can press the power keys (1,2,3,4) to select the move. Similar to Ivara's arrows and Vaubans mines. Once selected tapping 5 will perform the move.

For this example let's think of the moves as "Assault", "Dash", "Support" and "Manual".

"Assault" has them fire their void beam in one quick blast that now consumes a bit of the overall energy circle. "Dash" has them perform their dash move and blast attack at the same time consuming both actions energy requirement. "Support" is tied to their respective focus schools abilities. Finaly "manual" would be like the current default usage when switching to them.

So if you encounter Kuva Guardians or want to remove Sentient elemental resistance you have to switch to "Dash" and just press 5. Which causes your Warframe to perform a small animation summoning your Kiddo. The Operator appears in ghostly form and dashes through the Kuva Guardian while also blasting their halberd out of their hands, leaving an energy trial going back to your Warframe.

Similar with Eidolons you would need to select "assault" and when you press 5 while aiming at them, the Operator briefly pokes out of your Warframe's back (perhaps holding onto their shoulder) and perfom their beam attack to destroy the small ones or harm the shields of the big one.

For gathering Kuva both options would be viable.

Of course this is just a quick example i have cooked up. There are likely better ways to make such a "quick operator" system.

Edited by Othergrunty