Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Concept] Karma Upgrade : Umbra/Duo/Lumis

Xgomme

Hey, I got this concept in mind since early stages of operator and Umbra hints, it's time ! :clem:

oeChqUm.png

Basically, from what you can see on this picture. It is a way to combine the "still not useful" karma jauge, to something some people may want. Get rid of the operator, or "evolve" him. Or keep the duo with some more cool powers. Like everything in WF it's not a definitive choice. A NPC will let you reset your karma, and a lot of "karma events" will show in missions so you can grind from umbra to lumis quite fast. (Those "karma events" I talk about are simple things, like on Eris at some point you encounter a falling Corpus : Kill him = -X karma / Save him = +X karma.)

f.png

-You can use your new "super focus" mode with 5.

With an Umbra you'll take your mega arm canon. (a long press on 5 will activate the ult)

Duo will keep the switch we have now and if you press 5 longer you'll have a super primary with the WF and the small focus ultimate with the operator (working like Duality, when you control one the other have an AI) 

Lumis will open it's wings and will have a "weapon" (usable with primary fire, blasting with his hands or torso) version of the focus ultimate avalaible. (Really fast gameplay, maybe with similarities to AW) (Example the Vazarin Lumis can pop the shield but also turn into a fast and deadly rolling ball)* (a long press on 5 will activate the ult)

* List comming soon

Random Infos :

When you go Lumis your operator will grow up, and use warframes powers directly, he's absorbing it. You can equip syandanas and any other wf accessories on him too

When you go Umbra your operator is absorbed by the frame.

Both Lumis/Umbra can use Void Blast if no melee equiped, both can use Amps as secondary weapons. 

When you go Duo you'll keep what we have now + the "duality" focus ultimate. Your tenno will have small wings and your WF a small primary version of the sentient arm

(You can hide any wings in the custom menu) (Duo = Neutral)

Actual "Excalibur Umbra" will have to be just a skin or the equivalent of Excalibur Prime with this concept I guess. But can be a great story character, sort of antiStalker

Each school have 1 arm canon, 1 primary canon, 1 small wings, 1 big wings design

A lot of old focus nodes will come back on a new "Karma" tab on your focus screen with all the new "ultimate" related nodes (Visual soon * )

The "ultimate" is the starting node from all "karma focus" trees, you have it unlocked at start cause it's the thing you earn with The Second Dream quest.

All later nodes of you chosen "karma focus" will buff the ultimate and the related karma gears/gameplay (arm, weapon, wings)

Actual focus nodes will affect your Lumis/Duo/Umbra form. (Umbra can use some operator moves when in "Arm Canon" mode, Lumis have them as starter moves. Passives and Waybound too)

Edited by Xgomme

Hmmmm. . . it's. . . Actually, I think the "growing-up" mechanic could easily be implemented by simply taking the Operator's head, ageing it, and placing it on the frame's shoulders. Perhaps, in the process, making the Operator's face and voice even more neutral to the point of potentially going either way. That way, there could still be a market for Operators of the more humanoid form in the form of helmets.

In addition, for both the Umbral side and Luminal side, you could pick a sort of "host frame" from your selection that sits in the same place that your Operator was on the keyboard. Simply pressing that will allow you to swap between the puppeteer frame and the "inhabited" one at will. A single press would allow you to utilize the host frame as normal, a long press (or perhaps even 6?) could activate luminous mode or umbral mode where things go on as you say.

I'm not sure how I feel about an "excess" of karmatic events, especially given how MASSIVE the decision would be, but, that's just my two cents echoing out of the Pit like a distant echo.

13 hours ago, Unus said:

Hmmmm. . . it's. . . Actually, I think the "growing-up" mechanic could easily be implemented by simply taking the Operator's head, ageing it, and placing it on the frame's shoulders. Perhaps, in the process, making the Operator's face and voice even more neutral to the point of potentially going either way. That way, there could still be a market for Operators of the more humanoid form in the form of helmets.

In addition, for both the Umbral side and Luminal side, you could pick a sort of "host frame" from your selection that sits in the same place that your Operator was on the keyboard. Simply pressing that will allow you to swap between the puppeteer frame and the "inhabited" one at will. A single press would allow you to utilize the host frame as normal, a long press (or perhaps even 6?) could activate luminous mode or umbral mode where things go on as you say.

I'm not sure how I feel about an "excess" of karmatic events, especially given how MASSIVE the decision would be, but, that's just my two cents echoing out of the Pit like a distant echo.

Yep I thought about letting the Lumis using warframe bodies, could work (as edited skins though, cause some frames have pretty weird bodies, and you'll be locked to the gender of your operator I guess, or it breaks the main point of them)

And both Umbra/Lumis should not have the "host", the point is to "absorb" the other part. So the mass of players hating on operators will have a way to stop hating. The "Duo" neutral mode is the only one you could use the "switch" function. So with those instead of a "switch" you have an "enhance" mode

Those "karma events" I talk about are simple things, like on Eris at some point you encounter a falling Corpus : Kill him = -X karma / Save him = +X karma. Simple as that.

The introducing quest could even introduce that "reset karma" NPC, so anyone can chose where they start. And it's not that massive cause like I said nothing is definitive.

When you "grow up" you just absorb the frame and enhance your body, it's not real "aging"

Thanks for the feedbacks, I'll add more details to the OP today :P

Edited by Xgomme

1. Hence why I was thinking it may "neutralize" your Operator gender at that point.

2. Hmmm. . . I dunno, it's just. . . hm. . . at the very least, for the Lumeris form, you could have the current frame's helm sort of melt off to unveil an androgynous spectral face vaguely outlined as an Operator. I just see it as extremely odd to throw the armor Digital worked extremely hard on away to just have a single model that acts out all of the animations (though it is not unprecedented, given the amount of pink limbo-straddling rhinos I've passed by.)

3. Doesn't making it NOT definitive seem like a bit of a value-vampire? If you could jump between the three at will, I feel like it devalues the ability. I mean, unless swapping out means a COMPLETE annulment of any invested points. 

Ell, I even conjured up a major choice between Hunhow, the Lotus, and an aged Ballas argueing their points to the Operator.

"Adapt to their adaptation (cough cough) THAT was the goal from the start, an ultimate weapon by which we could turn their power against t(hack, wheeze)hem! Do it Tenno! Save us all from the damed machines, balance requi(breath) requires sacrifice!"

"Tenno! Do not listen to them! You are needed as you are, as my Operator and my Warframe. Any offering from Hunhow or Ballas will no doubt come with strings attached."

"Tenno, listen, our petty squabble is nothing compared to the horror that awaits us in the Void, discard your infected vessel, before you yourself become a vessel for a hunger none can truly fathom and none will ever survive."

Something like that.

Edited by Unus

Honestly, I really hope this system isn't where they go with it. Having another mode to worry about or enter into is going to play hell with both console and pc players. One of the best things about a game is keeping the systems simple and connected. I hope they use the karma system in progressing how the operators grow, yes. But not giving us a new mode to worry about. Idk if this is coming out clear exactly. I'll edit it after I get some sleep.

3 minutes ago, EibonEthos said:

Honestly, I really hope this system isn't where they go with it. Having another mode to worry about or enter into is going to play hell with both console and pc players. One of the best things about a game is keeping the systems simple and connected. I hope they use the karma system in progressing how the operators grow, yes. But not giving us a new mode to worry about. Idk if this is coming out clear exactly. I'll edit it after I get some sleep.

I wouldn't really care if it is complicated none of the other stuff in the game isn't that complicated it just you worry about to many things at the same time 

15 hours ago, EibonEthos said:

It's not a new mode, it's an alternate version of the switch we have now. It means that if you don't like to switch you can go Umbra/Lumis, and you will have a single "character" doing all the things.

I know the OP is not that clear, but you basically understood it the other way :D