Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let Me Try This Volt Rework Thing

Paradoxbomb

I know that Volt rework suggestions are a dime a dozen at this point, but I thought I'd throw my own 2 cents into the mix, mainly that Shock should be more about utility/CC than damage, and re envisioning Electric Shield and Overload to have both offensive and defensive purposes:

EDIT: Instead of a focus on being an Alternate to gunplay, these suggestions focus more on making Volt a more on the move Warframe whose abilities emphasizes mobility and can provide both offensive and defensive support on the fly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shock (15 energy): Retains it's general functions, such as slight home in, and chaining between targets. However, instead of being used for direct damage, any enemy hit (regardless of faction, level, or vulnerability) will be stunned for 2-5 seconds. When you hit an enemy stunned by Shock, they will be broken out of the stunlock, but they will recieve up to 2 times more damage from your next gunshot, or 4 times more damage from your next melee strike., meaning a charged melee attack or sniper shot is a much better follow up to a stun than a SMG shot. Enemies will be temporarily immune to being stunned after the first time for a few seconds to avoid spamming.

Having a definite stun as well as a damage bonus would make it more valued than a raw damage attack, as players could use it to shake off a crowd momentarily, or follow up with a boosted counterattack. Having a very low energy cost would also help since players would feel more inclined to use it.

Speed (25 energy): Fine as is really, other than the FoV change for all players.

Overload (75 energy, changed to ability 3): Supercharges Volt's suit, which in turn overcharges any machinery he passes by momentarily, even including lockers and synthetic enemies such as MOAs and Ospreys. Anyone that gets close to an overcharged device receives constant electrical damage (in a manner similar to Captain Vor's Tesla grenades). Even if there are no machines nearby, Volt's suit, as well as any players next to him, become overcharged and deal electrical damage to nearby enemies, albeit less potent than a supercharged piece of equipment.

Sort of a World on Fire meets Tesla, although the actual electrical damage of Volt's suit alone is only moderate and can provide a small boost in close quarter combat, the real strength of this ability comes from Volt passing as much machinery as he can (preferably in conjunction with Speed) to turn the environment into an electrical death trap.

Electrical Shield (100 energy, changed to ability 4): Generates a much wider, semicircular version of the classic shield that floats in front of Volt rather than remaining stationary. It functions as normal for the most part, allowing multiple players to take cover and fire bullets through it for increased damage. Running into enemies with the shield will knock them back with considerable electromagnetic force and deal minor damage. Once it's duration runs out, Volt will launch the shield forward as a projectile, causing massive damage and pushing enemies back with the aforementioned electromagnetic force.

This would turn his Ultimate into both an offensive and defensive Ultimate on the move rather than your standard AoE. However, the arc attack will have travel time and can only hit enemies in the direction Volt is facing, but has much greater range as a tradeoff.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

That electrical shield is so awesome. It loses a bit of tactical value (positioning) but ii becomes much more versatile and allows Volt to be of great use even against infested (thanks to knockback).

Overload looks a bit like Ember's ultimate, which is good to me. It's not an AoE nuke and preverves mobility during its effect.

And crowd control on Shock really is a basic need for Volt. I don't know about the other two (I mean, I like them but those are some drastic changes), but Shock definitely needs an upgrade such as this.

That electrical shield is so awesome. It loses a bit of tactical value (positioning) but ii becomes much more versatile and allows Volt to be of great use even against infested (thanks to knockback).

Overload looks a bit like Ember's ultimate, which is good to me. It's not an AoE nuke and preverves mobility during its effect.

And crowd control on Shock really is a basic need for Volt. I don't know about the other two (I mean, I like them but those are some drastic changes), but Shock definitely needs an upgrade such as this.

I guess in a way, Overload would in fact be an electric version of Overheat/World on Fire, though the real damage would come from running near machinery and turning it into proximity traps.

They are a little drastic I suppose, though I think the majority want a major overhaul for Volt anyway, and making Overload and Electric Shield more mobile would encourage people to actually stay on the move with him (Which make sense since he's all about the speed of lightning and such). Plus he becomes versatile as both an offensive and defensive frame.

I've seen more interesting suggestions but this one isn't bad at all.

I'll take that as a compliment :)

Not what I'd prefer, but as always, guaranteed stun on shock is nice.

Speed just needs FoV removed

Overload IMO doesn't need to get turned into an electrical world on fire.

The shield change is interesting.  Not sure how I feel about it though since you'll probably kill everything while it's still up.

Not what I'd prefer, but as always, guaranteed stun on shock is nice.

Speed just needs FoV removed

Overload IMO doesn't need to get turned into an electrical world on fire.

The shield change is interesting.  Not sure how I feel about it though since you'll probably kill everything while it's still up.

The whole Electric World on Fire effect is more of a fallback for the special in the event you choose to use it in a machinery free area; you can still deal electrical damage to nearby enemies so it's not completely useless, but it's nowhere near as proficient as Ember's ability. The main purpose of it is to pass by as much machinery as you can to transform tight corridors into danger zones for enemies.

As for the shield, it's mainly defensive while it's active, and running into enemies doesn't do much damage (just pushes them very far back). You can still shoot through it for bonus damage just like the current shield though, so maybe becoming an offensive arc at the end isn't necessary after all (that can be up to majority opinion).

WHile the idea is good, I still have my irk with the whole "Volt is a powerful alternative to gunplay" sentiment that DE put up around him, and then makes him have a low-damage skill, a (essentially) run away skill, and one that promotes gunplay.

WHile the idea is good, I still have my irk with the whole "Volt is a powerful alternative to gunplay" sentiment that DE put up around him, and then makes him have a low-damage skill, a (essentially) run away skill, and one that promotes gunplay.

I know what you mean, although that is only an outdated tip that could easily be changed or replaced. The way I see it, Volt would need to have his skills replaced completely to live up to that statement since, like you said, his skills are either low damage, stationary or just rely on guns to be useful (they might as well just make an entirely new frame for that niche at this point).

I think instead of being all about damage, they should adjust him to emphasize speed and mobility, a characteristic trait of electricity and lightning. Shock is unreliable and Electric shield and Overload make/require him to pretty much stay in place. By making Overload and Electric Shield skills that work with and actually encourage moving around, he at least becomes an alternate to cover shooting, which is what this game is in need of.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

• 1 month later...