The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove Host Migration Or Make It At Least Optional

LxLawliet

I've been, as probably thousands of other players, encountering this particular problem for quite some time now (ever since I started playing, actually), and it is really annoying, to say the least. Host Migration usually occurs on two instances:

1) The host's internet somehow stop working for a second or two

2) Your internet stops working for a second or two

There might be more ways, but these are two I know of. Anyway...I would like to see this migration being removed from the game, or to make it optional.

Host Migration means lost progress in terms of accumulated affinity (XP), mods and resources, which essentially is nothing more than a "mission failed". Furthermore, in some cases, migrating may result in you being all alone on a mission, and that's not exactly the best setup for, let's say, defense. It is also possible that someone with rather slow internet suddenly becomes the host, which is even more annoying.

Whenever I happen to get this, I usually just abort the mission - I see no sense in continuing a mission I was supposed to do with either strangers or with friends/clanmates of mine, and the fact that you also lose your progress does not help either (it's also frustrating when in a high level defense - imagine a host migration on Wave 50, let alone 100!).

In essence, it would be overall better to either completely remove this host migration issue and just replace it with a plain "Mission Failed" message or to make it an optional choice ("You have been disconnected from the host. Would you like to migrate?"), for those who wish to continue anyway.

EDIT:

Discard the "Mission Failed" on losing connection idea - just allow me to opt out of a host migration - everything I accumulated up to the point of said migration can then be saved and won't be lost all of a sudden.

Edited by InfinitexL

umm... no lost progress when host migration happen. if it happen, it should be a bug.

and how can host migration removed without reworking the entire game and use central server (not peer to peer like now)?

EDIT: sorry, not reading the last paragraph. i totally agree for that.

Edited by agung.up

Please do not spread such misinformation.

It's what is happening to me most of the time, so I thought this is happening to others as well (I do know there is the "Updating Account Information" message, but in that case, you will receive everything nonetheless, however, that's not my point).

Sorry if I am misguided here, just a natural conclusion based on my experience I've drawn here...

Edited by InfinitexL

Host migrations are pretty much necessary. If you want it to be an option, then just abort the mission after. I don't see why you shouldn't at least let it try to migrate you.

And no, a successful host migration doesn't result in lost progress unless it's your internet that crashes and the server can't make contact.

Dude the host is the one managing the game, keeping track of everything. You cannot not migrate host if you lost connection to it. It's like trying to keep playing a tabletop after the DM disappears.

You don't seem to have illustrated to me that you understand what a host is, and why the migration takes place. I'm not trying to be condescending, but do you know how listen servers work, and why there is a host in the first place? I'm asking this because you wish to not migrate, "for those who wish to continue anyway." This shows me that you don't really know what's happening when a game is being hosted.

So if you understand how it works, then I think you need to explain yourself better.

You don't seem to have illustrated to me that you understand what a host is, and why the migration takes place. I'm not trying to be condescending, but do you know how listen servers work, and why there is a host in the first place? I'm asking this because you wish to not migrate, "for those who wish to continue anyway." This shows me that you don't really know what's happening when a game is being hosted.

So if you understand how it works, then I think you need to explain yourself better.

I always thought that something like a "local server" is opened up when hosting, and everyone joins on that server. I guess that thought comes from playing MTA SA (Multi Theft Auto, multiplayer mode for GTA San Andreas), as this particular program manages it the same way when opening up a server on your own computer.

I am, however, not familiar with the inner workings of a server or how Warframe handles connections (and frankly, I find my time to be of too much value to care enough, it isn't of any interest for me either), so peer-to-peer connections might work differently. If you are that adept in terms of hosting, hosts, servers and how they work, why don't you try to explain it to me, so I can change my original post accordingly? Because this does not really affect the main purpose of this thread (remove host migration or make it optional), and this issue has yet to be addressed by DE.

Edited by InfinitexL

I always thought that something like a "local server" is opened up when hosting, and everyone joins on that server. I guess that thought comes from playing MTA SA (Multi Theft Auto, multiplayer mode for GTA San Andreas), as this particular program manages it the same way when opening up a server on your own computer.

I am, however, not familiar with the inner workings of a server or how Warframe handles connections (and frankly, I find my time to be of too much value to care enough, it isn't of any interest for me either), so peer-to-peer connections might work differently. If you are that adept in terms of hosting, hosts, servers and how they work, why don't you try to explain it to me, so I can change my original post accordingly? Because this does not really affect the main purpose of this thread (remove host migration or make it optional), and this issue has yet to be addressed by DE.

When you launch up a game with 4 people, the original person(#1) will handle all information about the game(listen server on their side) and report to DE's data servers. Everyone else reports to that player. When the host player(#1) disappears(disconnected), the information that was last seen by DE's side is sent to player #2(this is the host migration) and they begin hosting the "server" for the remaining players.

If you removed host migration and replaced it with mission fails, we would see a new wave of trolling with hosts unplugging their internet at the end of a run long enough to cause everyone else to fail, and reconnect so that they can submit their clear information.

When you launch up a game with 4 people, the original person(#1) will handle all information about the game(listen server on their side) and report to DE's data servers. Everyone else reports to that player. When the host player(#1) disappears(disconnected), the information that was last seen by DE's side is sent to player #2(this is the host migration) and they begin hosting the "server" for the remaining players.

If you removed host migration and replaced it with mission fails, we would see a new wave of trolling with hosts unplugging their internet at the end of a run long enough to cause everyone else to fail, and reconnect so that they can submit their clear information.

Thanks, I didn't know it's being handled like that.

I question the trolling, though - I'm not entirely sure myself, but isn't that a bit far-fetched and too "difficult"? I feel like it's not worth it to just plug your internet out...especially because you lose your progress too. That's too much work to play through a mission, get stuff and then just unplug your internet.

In any case, I think I should be allowed to "opt out" of being migrated then, with account information being saved afterwards, to avoid a potential loss of items. I will edit my post accordingly.

Edited by InfinitexL

I question the trolling, though - I'm not entirely sure myself, but isn't that a bit far-fetched and too "difficult"? I feel like it's not worth it to just plug your internet out...especially because you lose your progress to. That's too much work to play through a mission, get stuff and then just unplug your internet.

no, because the progress of the host won't lose, at least until some minute after disconnecting. But that some minutes is enough for the other to fail other people mission progress that join. After that, the host can reconnect their connection (either by unplug-plug cable or off-on network adapter), and they still hold their own progress to be sent to warframe server.

In any case, I think I should be allowed to "opt out" of being migrated then, with account information being saved afterwards, to avoid a potential loss of items. I will edit my post accordingly.

The only way to "opt out" is to automatically mission fail and thus lose everything anyways.

Discard the "Mission Failed" on losing connection idea - just allow me to opt out of a host migration - everything I accumulated up to the point of said migration can then be saved and won't be lost all of a sudden.

As to this. This can very easily be abused. About to lose a defense at 1%? Disconnect. You just saved everything you got up to that point.

That's too much work to play through a mission, get stuff and then just unplug your internet

You severely underestimate the troll community.

Edited by Ghobe

I question the trolling, though - I'm not entirely sure myself, but isn't that a bit far-fetched and too "difficult"? I feel like it's not worth it to just plug your internet out...especially because you lose your progress too. That's too much work to play through a mission, get stuff and then just unplug your internet.

Many trolls are determined, resourceful, people of steely will. A good troll is more than willing to suffer to annoy others.

Regardless, host migrations are a necessity. When the host disconnects, for whatever reason, the game state must migrate to a new host, or the game ends. There is no way around this.