The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Tenno Underneath

PopTartZombie

Actually he went and put on a special armor suit about half way through the game, and the helmet could even "morph" off of him to show his face. The girl who had the "Nyx" looking suit was able to take hers off as well since you see it before you see her without it. 

This is also a possibility. I like all of the controversy, it only means that the community isn't 100% sure on the matter. Which only leads to the fact that we're going to get an answer soon enough. I'm sure Steve and the people he works with to brainstorm new possibilities and additions to the lore will eventually find this topic boggling their minds for a little while. Its really only going to be a decision, easy or hard. Easy being, they're not removable and that aspect of the game will not be elaborated on at all, it would just be an answer to the lore and then be done with it. Then there's the hard answer, its only hard because there would be more work involved than the previous rout. The hard answer would introduce the tenno underneath and develop them with all the bells and whistles. I would prefer to take the hard rout, it would give the player a much more compelling story to follow. You don't even know what you are, even with a name 'tenno' there is hardly any real explanation, as far as Warframe goes, as to what you are. There are obviously references to where they originated, but in a different game. I would really like, personally, to know what I am, as I follow the story of the Tenno in the age after the Orokin and Sentience. I believe unveiling the Tenno under their suits would give that section of the lore a push in the right direction. As for now, there is no right answer as to weather or not they're linked permanently to their suit or not.

Edit: a few evolved explanations.

p.s. This whole thread is all theory and opinion until DE tackles the topic.

p.s.s. Which is the purpose of this thread, to get the answer or ETA on when they'll approach this topic form DE.

p.s.s.s. Do remember guys, this game is BETA, so nothing is set in stone until Final.

Edited by PopTartZombie

I find the fact that we all woke up in Excals rather than Excal Primes (ignoring the pay-gate on Excal Prime) quite interesting now that someone mentioned it.

One theory could be that the Primes were the original versions, but as the war got more intense they needed to speed production, so the non-prime variants were created as quantity-over-quality versions. Since they were the mass-produced versions, they're easier to find than Primes.

Another interesting thing is that we all wake up as Excal rather than our starting frame choice- or even our starting frame's gender (in the case of Mag currently). This brings up the question of who are we, the player.

Really though, we just don't yet have enough lore to really know what's going on at the current moment to really understand it.

Use edit instead of double posting in the future!

Also that meme was funny at all to me, although that might just be me.

Don't worry I thought it was good as well =P

Edited by TheBlueJelly

One theory could be that the Primes were the original versions, but as the war got more intense they needed to speed production, so the non-prime variants were created as quantity-over-quality versions. Since they were the mass-produced versions, they're easier to find than Primes.

That's a possibility. Perhaps the Primes are ornamental versions of the normal frames? Or maybe they're exclusive to notable Tenno; military leaders or heroes.

I find the fact that we all woke up in Excals rather than Excal Primes (ignoring the pay-gate on Excal Prime) quite interesting now that someone mentioned it.

Another interesting thing is that we all wake up as Excal rather than our starting frame choice- or even our starting frame's gender (in the case of Mag currently). This brings up the question of who are we, the player.

I imagine it was probably a matter of drafting into service any Tenno in training which would obviously drain massive amounts of resources, not to mention a war was going on that they were losing, so they likely had lost a lot of their infrastructure.  The combination is probably what led to the production of slightly weaker, though significantly cheaper, models.

I always figured that we woke up as Excalibur and chose a different one later from a sheer gameplay standpoint.  Excalibur is a good, basic, starter frame, so I always imagined that was why.  I explain away being able to switch between the sexes with the same argument.  In that situation, gameplay > realism.  Seeing as how we bleed and bosses have pointed out that we are biological and have skins, I think it's safe to assume we're fairly ordinary humans under there.  I mean, obviously we're cyborgs of some kind.  The warframe helmets all require implanted neural sensors for instance, so it's not like a human can just swap between them willy-nilly.  On top of that, TCV is a component in making a warframe.

Tenno then are a extremely well-trained force that is made up of humans.  These humans, among other things, have implants that allow them to control their warframes.  TCV is probably used as a component to graft the suit to the human underneath.  That said, we know that it's still possible for Tenno to become infected, so the TCV used in the suits likely has been modified to be symbiotic as opposed to its traditional parasitic nature and likely fulfills other tasks like fighting off "bad" TCV infections, repairing the suit, and assisting in connecting the Tenno to their suit.

That's a possibility. Perhaps the Primes are ornamental versions of the normal frames? Or maybe they're exclusive to notable Tenno; military leaders or heroes.

Nope.  The primes are the originals.  The devs have said this before.

Edited by Volt_Cruelerz

I imagine it was probably a matter of drafting into service any Tenno in training which would obviously drain massive amounts of resources, not to mention a war was going on that they were losing, so they likely had lost a lot of their infrastructure.  The combination is probably what led to the production of slightly weaker, though significantly cheaper, models.

I always figured that we woke up as Excalibur and chose a different one later from a sheer gameplay standpoint.  Excalibur is a good, basic, starter frame, so I always imagined that was why.  I explain away being able to switch between the sexes with the same argument.  In that situation, gameplay > realism.  Seeing as how we bleed and bosses have pointed out that we are biological and have skins, I think it's safe to assume we're fairly ordinary humans under there.  I mean, obviously we're cyborgs of some kind.  The warframe helmets all require implanted neural sensors for instance, so it's not like a human can just swap between them willy-nilly.  On top of that, TCV is a component in making a warframe.

Tenno then are a extremely well-trained force that is made up of humans.  These humans, among other things, have implants that allow them to control their warframes.  TCV is probably used as a component to graft the suit to the human underneath.  That said, we know that it's still possible for Tenno to become infected, so the TCV used in the suits likely has been modified to be symbiotic as opposed to its traditional parasitic nature and likely fulfills other tasks like fighting off "bad" TCV infections, repairing the suit, and assisting in connecting the Tenno to their suit.

Same answer I usually give (gameplay and story segregation), actually XD

That is an interesting idea with the TCV bits. The helmets can be swapped willy-nilly though- HOWEVER the Neural Sensors that the main helmet takes (which is also required to make the warframe) is NOT required to make the alt helms. So maybe the implants and the helms themselves are actually separate.

Of course this now begs the question....

How much of the materials we use when crafting a warframe go to actually making the warframe itself, and how much go into altering and attuning the Tenno we're going to put inside of it?

Also question.. who says the Orokin lost the war with the Sentience? They could have just been severly weakened by it, to the point where while they won, they collapsed- either due to unrest or eachother; nothing says the Orokin were at total peace with one another (to my knowledge), and they may have Ender's Game'd unity due to the Sentience being a big enough threat to make them put aside their differences and work together.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

Also question.. who says the Orokin lost the war with the Sentience? They could have just been severly weakened by it, to the point where while they won, they collapsed.

I'm pretty sure that's losing. I do understand what you mean though, the Sentience may have been trying to wipe out the Tenno, which may be why we were put to sleep in the first place. Now... the Sentience may rise again when they realize the Tenno threat hasn't been eradicated. Its all up to DE's creative director and the brainstorm team.

Same answer I usually give (gameplay and story segregation), actually XD

That is an interesting idea with the TCV bits. The helmets can be swapped willy-nilly though- HOWEVER the Neural Sensors that the main helmet takes (which is also required to make the warframe) is NOT required to make the alt helms. So maybe the implants and the helms themselves are actually separate.

Of course this now begs the question....

How much of the materials we use when crafting a warframe go to actually making the warframe itself, and how much go into altering and attuning the Tenno we're going to put inside of it?

Also question.. who says the Orokin lost the war with the Sentience? They could have just been severly weakened by it, to the point where while they won, they collapsed- either due to unrest or eachother; nothing says the Orokin were at total peace with one another (to my knowledge), and they may have Ender's Game'd unity due to the Sentience being a big enough threat to make them put aside their differences and work together.

Perhaps the helmets have two layers to them?  One that is swappable and one that is actually plugged into their brain?  Think Darth Vader.  His helmet has multiple components and if he really wanted, the black bucket could have been swapped out with a different color for each day of the week.

First off...  Was the war against the Sentients or the Sentience?  I imagine the Sents (since I'm not sure which ending it is :P) were biological on some level since the Orokin created the Golem to fight them.

And we know they lost because Steve's said in a livestream that they had to leave Earth because things weren't going so well there and despite hiding in the Void, they're still all gone.  What I find more interesting though is that the Sents aren't around anymore.  We see Orokin relics, but not Sent ones.  If the Orokin completely wiped them out/forced them to leave the system, then the Orokin wouldn't be completely gone.  The only other possibility would be that the Orokin and Sents both left the system with one chasing after the other, but it makes no sense for both of them to have gotten up and left.

We know the Grineer arose afterwards and weren't involved with the Old War, but where the Sents went is the more pressing question IMO.

Perhaps the helmets have two layers to them?  One that is swappable and one that is actually plugged into their brain?  Think Darth Vader.  His helmet has multiple components and if he really wanted, the black bucket could have been swapped out with a different color for each day of the week.

First off...  Was the war against the Sentients or the Sentience?  I imagine the Sents (since I'm not sure which ending it is :P) were biological on some level since the Orokin created the Golem to fight them.

And we know they lost because Steve's said in a livestream that they had to leave Earth because things weren't going so well there and despite hiding in the Void, they're still all gone.  What I find more interesting though is that the Sents aren't around anymore.  We see Orokin relics, but not Sent ones.  If the Orokin completely wiped them out/forced them to leave the system, then the Orokin wouldn't be completely gone.  The only other possibility would be that the Orokin and Sents both left the system with one chasing after the other, but it makes no sense for both of them to have gotten up and left.

We know the Grineer arose afterwards and weren't involved with the Old War, but where the Sents went is the more pressing question IMO.

I imagine that whatever the Sents were, they were AI/Robotic in nature, due to Golem dropping the Volt parts (and his calling being the absolute anihilation of anything robotic that the Corpus tells to even look in his direction). However there is a question if the Golems were created to fight it, or if it was the Technocyte Plague that was created to fight it- as Lotus isn't overly clear on that part.

Part of why I like calling it the Sentience instead of the Sentients... Sentience has more of a hive-mind sound to it (singular instead of plural), which any sort of AI Rebellion would likely have (one self-aware AI isn't likely to create other entirely self-aware AIs as that was how it itself was created- and it decided to rebell against its creators).

The Orokin leaving earth I thought might have had something to do with why the Grineer took over everything, as they zerg rushed the capital and took it from *someone*. An extremely weakened Orokin-based group would not have had the manpower or resources to stave off a coup of that size, especially if there was any in-fighting between the Orokin themselves. Cue a self destruct in a last-ditch effort to hide what created the Sentience in the first place, add a few thousand years or so, and Welcome to Warframe.

Also another odd lore bit... The Lotus is a singular or plural entitiy? I mean, Mission Control Girl has been known to make drunken statements before, but spy missions (at least I think it's spy missions) are the only time she'll say "The Lotus will be pleased."- as if she herself is not the Lotus, or she is merely a member of the group refered to as the Lotus.

It was either her being drunk and speaking in third person, her admitting she is not the Lotus, or that "The [other members of the Lotus] will be pleased." is what she meant.

I'm pretty sure that's losing. I do understand what you mean though, the Sentience may have been trying to wipe out the Tenno, which may be why we were put to sleep in the first place. Now... the Sentience may rise again when they realize the Tenno threat hasn't been eradicated. Its all up to DE's creative director and the brainstorm team.

Not entirely. They won but barely, what little remained kinda toned things back some as they recovered (losing their status as "orokin" in the history books), and yeah.

If it was a deathmatch which ended with one side completely erradicated and the other merely dieing, the one that can actually recover eventually won.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

@TheBlueJelly, Ultron created Vision, so an AI making another AI with self awareness properties is not unknown(Red Tornado also built a son that went evil too). 

While true, it doesn't seem like something it would do if it thought it through. I mean, sentient biologicals create sentient AI, sentient AI decides to kill its creating sentient biologicals... and then creates a sentient AI after it just killed its own creators- creators of a sentient AI? Really?

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Just seems like something might set off "this might not be a good idea" warnings, and as EDI said in Mass Effect 2, the only reason human pilots are better than AI pilots is because human pilots are unpredictable because we make mistakes. Because of that, an AI can't run simulations out to X time to figure out what it needs to do to win, because a human won't necessarily act optimally- and by extension, screws up the AI's simulations.

Those two might just be the authors giving them too much humanity. As to the end of the Terminator series, that was because Skynet literally couldn't think of any way to possibly kill off the resistance's spirit (via killing John Connor) even though it did figure out a way to kill off all of the high brass of the resistance. So it creates an intelligent entity separate from itself to attempt to kill the one man who could potentially (or maybe definitely) destroy Skynet in the long run. It introduced more unpredictability (required for a machine that was supposed to "think" it was human) into the system to try and swing the odds into its favor, and took nearly all possible precautions to minimize the risk. Hell, it almost succeeded, too, if not for humanity being a dangerously unstable thing.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

While true, it doesn't seem like something it would do if it thought it through. I mean, sentient biologicals create sentient AI, sentient AI decides to kill its creating sentient biologicals... and then creates a sentient AI after it just killed its own creators- creators of a sentient AI? Really?

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Just seems like something might set off "this might not be a good idea" warnings, and as EDI said in Mass Effect 2, the only reason human pilots are better than AI pilots is because human pilots are unpredictable because we make mistakes. Because of that, an AI can't run simulations out to X time to figure out what it needs to do to win, because a human won't necessarily act optimally- and by extension, screws up the AI's simulations.

Those two might just be the authors giving them too much humanity. As to the end of the Terminator series, that was because Skynet literally couldn't think of any way to possibly kill off the resistance's spirit (via killing John Connor) even though it did figure out a way to kill off all of the high brass of the resistance. So it creates an intelligent entity separate from itself to attempt to kill the one man who could potentially (or maybe definitely) destroy Skynet in the long run. It introduced more unpredictability (required for a machine that was supposed to "think" it was human) into the system to try and swing the odds into its favor, and took nearly all possible precautions to minimize the risk. Hell, it almost succeeded, too, if not for humanity being a dangerously unstable thing.

Good point. Although AI aren't always as "perfect" as they might seem. Just check out Data's daughter on Star Trek TNG. Once the emotions kicked in she had to be shut down. Terminator series is the one that I can think of where an AI did what it could to keep that threat at bay, by putting in the chip that made T1 only learn when Skynet wanted it to.

Its fiction, it can be anything... trying to "logic" it out isn't going to help you understand until the person writing the story decides to reveal what the actual story is.  People who watched LOST from season 1 will get this... so many theories put forward that were WAY better than the one the writers settled on.  

Also, while the guy in the cryopod is just a placeholder, so too might all the flavor text in the game.  The refrences to the players name and the frame being something apart from the player may be removed later... in fact, without an explanation about how the player (tracked by name as the stalker) can swap gender at will.

I imagine that whatever the Sents were, they were AI/Robotic in nature, due to Golem dropping the Volt parts (and his calling being the absolute anihilation of anything robotic that the Corpus tells to even look in his direction). However there is a question if the Golems were created to fight it, or if it was the Technocyte Plague that was created to fight it- as Lotus isn't overly clear on that part.

Part of why I like calling it the Sentience instead of the Sentients... Sentience has more of a hive-mind sound to it (singular instead of plural), which any sort of AI Rebellion would likely have (one self-aware AI isn't likely to create other entirely self-aware AIs as that was how it itself was created- and it decided to rebell against its creators).

The Orokin leaving earth I thought might have had something to do with why the Grineer took over everything, as they zerg rushed the capital and took it from *someone*. An extremely weakened Orokin-based group would not have had the manpower or resources to stave off a coup of that size, especially if there was any in-fighting between the Orokin themselves. Cue a self destruct in a last-ditch effort to hide what created the Sentience in the first place, add a few thousand years or so, and Welcome to Warframe.

Also another odd lore bit... The Lotus is a singular or plural entitiy? I mean, Mission Control Girl has been known to make drunken statements before, but spy missions (at least I think it's spy missions) are the only time she'll say "The Lotus will be pleased."- as if she herself is not the Lotus, or she is merely a member of the group refered to as the Lotus.

It was either her being drunk and speaking in third person, her admitting she is not the Lotus, or that "The [other members of the Lotus] will be pleased." is what she meant.

Not entirely. They won but barely, what little remained kinda toned things back some as they recovered (losing their status as "orokin" in the history books), and yeah.

If it was a deathmatch which ended with one side completely erradicated and the other merely dieing, the one that can actually recover eventually won.

I forget where, but there's a reference somewhere (I think in one of the Lotus's lines) that mentions that there were some outbreaks of TCV before the Old War which I just take to mean "this takes place in the same universe as Dark Sector."  I think the Orokin were just masters of nanotechnology which is why they could "tame" TCV and use it in Warframe construction.  To be perfectly honest, they probably farmed the stuff lol.

I believe Steve said the Grineer came a long time after the Orokin fell.

Really though, we just don't yet have enough lore to really know what's going on at the current moment to really understand it.

Don't worry I thought it was good as well =P

Might there be a possibility that the primes were advanced prototypes and that they were actually created after the original non-primes?

Good point. Although AI aren't always as "perfect" as they might seem. Just check out Data's daughter on Star Trek TNG. Once the emotions kicked in she had to be shut down. Terminator series is the one that I can think of where an AI did what it could to keep that threat at bay, by putting in the chip that made T1 only learn when Skynet wanted it to.

Well you have to remember, emotions are a human thing, not a machine thing, so yeah things get wonky when you tell a machine to be human (re: the results of the last Terminator movie).

Totally forgot about the T1's learning inhibition chip though XD

I forget where, but there's a reference somewhere (I think in one of the Lotus's lines) that mentions that there were some outbreaks of TCV before the Old War which I just take to mean "this takes place in the same universe as Dark Sector."  I think the Orokin were just masters of nanotechnology which is why they could "tame" TCV and use it in Warframe construction.  To be perfectly honest, they probably farmed the stuff lol.

I believe Steve said the Grineer came a long time after the Orokin fell.

Well then, I personally can't wait for Golem's rework ^_____^

Just beause they came long after the Orokin fell doesn't mean they got wiped out completely fighting the Sents. They just had to be beat down just enough to no-longer be called "Orokin" by the history books. Hell, if the Sent was AI/Robitic in nature, what made all of their stuff work (nano-technology) would likely become effectively outlawed. They'd still have access to some awesome tech, but nowhere near the power to repell a zerg rush if their primary means of doing everything was now likely to end everything.

Remember, "fell" and "totally destroyed" are two different things.

Might there be a possibility that the primes were advanced prototypes and that they were actually created after the original non-primes?

I seem to recall that it was officially stated that the Primes were the originals, and that the non-primes are chinese knockoffs or something.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

You see the Tenno beneath the Warframe all the time.....just peek into the Cryopods in Defense missions.....THAT'S a Tenno!

That's a place holder, aka 'Naked Nick', until DE decides to put actual tenno in the cyropods.

Edited by PopTartZombie

I'd go a bit further personally.

ghost-in-the-shell-21.jpg?version=1&modi

I agree with this interpretation as well.

Stripped of all unnecessary parts and they are forever merged with the suit.

I don't think players like the thought of The Tenno not being able to get out of their suit.

I think players want the Warframe to have human like qualities.

Primarily being able to get out off the suit and look like a naked human with all functioning parts still in tact.