The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Those bounty leeches

Pauluce

1 hour ago, FreeWilliam said:

Honestly, the obsessing over leeches is more of a problem than the leeching itself.

How many neurons go to 'let's slaughter some Grineer' vs 'this guy over there is over there'?

I'm having no real issue with leeches, but people WHINING about leeches apparently forgot how to play Warframe.

So let me join your games from now on and never do a dang thing, and you work on my time not the other way around.

1 hour ago, vylexes said:

So let me join your games from now on and never do a dang thing, and you work on my time not the other way around.

Wait, you're going to not do anything AND complain about other people not doing anything?

Being AFK won't get you on the ignore list.  Whining because you can't control other people's behaviors in a free to play game in a PUBLIC GROUP will guarantee it.

10 hours ago, Fuleng said:

1. AFK is someone not in they pc, many games penalize this type of behavior. No going an objective but playing (even if this is bunny hopping) its every players prerogative no game that i know takes actions against it.

2. Well DE sure advertise it as one

3. Public matchmaking does not obligate you in any way. Especially for PoE this free choice is augmented by the fact that you can exit anytime you like keeping gathered loot and progress. Actually no game obligates you to play in a specific way. This is why ELO Hell in ladder game is created.

4. No it doesn't. You can queue in a no strings attached matchmaking or you can go organized. Public is and always will be "no strings attached". Some goes for team chating you are not obligated to respond or cooperate in any way.

5. People were nagging for "not reaching goals in time". Because some were speed running and other said "hey there is a butterfly there lets go grab it"

6. Putting trivial task is ok. Force feeding them to players and making them mandatory is another thing. This DE course of action promotes leeching. If they implemented a workaround for players to avoid fishing/mining more than 80% of the community would take it, and almost no leeching would appear. Players are not zombies they react to and try to get the most out of their time.

7. Of course you can, not sure many are. 90% of my hydron runs there is a guy next to my Mesa cheering for my kill streak and runs around to pick loot. I don't mind sharing progress as long as i don't lose something

I'm not saying there shouldn't be actions to prevent leeching. I'm saying that people are allowed to leech since the game gives them all the incentives to do so.

In my humble opinion and my rather sort experience in Warframe, leeching intentional or unintentional is hardcoded to the games design. My advice to everyone is that if you are annoyed by this behavior get in an active clan and play organized. Else share your progress you will leech yourself at some point when leveling gear/frames or the cat drops a vase you need to go afk for 5.

The biggest achievement of warframe is the chill and nontoxic environment. That's the reason, in my opinion at least, DE does not include true end game content

1. Games tend not to penalize not doing the objective, but they also tend not to reward avoiding the objective.  For example, in Battlefield games, if you feel like not actually doing anything in the game, you won't get very much at all in the way of rewards for the game.  And some games actually do have ways to penalize people for not doing the objective, but those are typically more competitive, team-based games.  I'm not asking for penalties, I'm asking for the mechanics to be changed to no longer reward people for not going for the objectives.

2. They're advertising it as one cause it's a pretty popular concept for games nowadays.  Mechanically, it's nothing like actual open-world games, like GTA or WoW.

3. I think you're confusing "can" and "should".  I can stop doing things to better myself, and sit around all day shoving beans up my nose, but I shouldn't, and I'll run out of money to keep buying beans pretty quickly.  In the same way, people can go into a Trial and sit there admiring all the pretty graphics, but they shouldn't.  In the same way, people can be bounty leeches, but they shouldn't.

4. See #3.

5. Fair enough reason to remove that, but that's not them endorsing bounty leeching, that's them trying to work around the negative effects caused by some people blitzing bounty parts ridiculously quickly.  That's why I like the idea of not spawning fish/ore deposits until the bounty has been completed, that way speedrunners don't prevent other people from getting rewards, and it removes any incentive whatsoever to bounty leech.

6. Look at just about any open world game.  Chances are there's side missions that focus on/use entirely different mechanics to the standard gameplay, and these side missions typically give you upgrades in some way.  For example, the gear mods system in Just Cause 3.  

7. Alright.

See, your ending statement there makes me pretty sure we're not very far apart from each other on this issue.  You say you're not opposed to actions to prevent/disincentivize leeching.  All I'm asking for is for them to prevent/disincentivize leeching.  That being said, I disagree with you that leeching is an integral part of the game.  Given how closely bounty leeching parallels pirating, I think it'd be fairly apt to say that that's pretty similar to claiming that pirating is an integral part of movie/music/game making.  Also, something that you have no control over, like your cat/vase example, is not the sort of thing people are angry about.  

And for the record, I don't leech at all.  If I'm leveling gear, I do solo spy runs.  If I'm going for caches/syndicate medallions, I do it solo.  If I'm trying for focus, I'm not just sitting there passively soaking in XP, I'm actually trying to contribute.  

EDIT:  I should clarify, when I say to not spawn fish/ore on the map until the bounty is complete, I mean to only do that on public matches.  That way if you're solo and want to do some mining while you do the bounty, or you've got a group together that's OK with you bounty leeching off of them, you can still do those things.  

Edited by Orreven

5 hours ago, FreeWilliam said:

Wait, you're going to not do anything AND complain about other people not doing anything?

Being AFK won't get you on the ignore list.  Whining because you can't control other people's behaviors in a free to play game in a PUBLIC GROUP will guarantee it.

So i make a point about you saying you could care less about people AFK in your party, and you say i am whining what side of stupid are you on? Who gives a crap if it is pre-made group or if you going into public, if you wanna go afk or allow a group to allow those players to afk make a party and don't bother those in public. But let me guse i bet just about 80% will not allow you to do so, No wonder leechers go afk in public bounties wow.

7 hours ago, ---RNGesus--- said:

Just leave squad or make private sessions with your friends to do bounties. You should never expect people to do the same thing you are doing when you are in public sessions.

I'd buy that excuse, except bounty leeches explicitly sign up with Konzu to do the bounty (with the exception of matchmaking bugs).  If you want to go do mining/fishing in a public game, you should ignore Konzu and just go through the gates, rather than bounty leeching.  Or alternatively, just go solo or make private sessions if you want to mine/fish.  Would you appreciate it if, from now on, half of every squad you get in public just sits in spawn?  Doesn't do anything for the mission, doesn't go to extraction so you have to wait a minute to end the mission, but they still get the full reward?  But that's fine, right?  Especially if they're actually getting more of a reward than you?  

7 hours ago, VenomousValentine said:

I'm on the opposite end. I'm tired of being called a leech for not helping in a bounty I didn't sign up for in the first place. 

That's definitely something that would need to be fixed as well.