The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Occlusion Culling Bug: 60fps+

LemonKing

I've been looking at what may be causing this bug for the last few months. From my experience it seems whatever Occlusion Culling tech Warframe is using operates at a maximum sampling rate of 60hz. Which can cause artifacts on a system that can render above 60fps. I've tried recording these examples at full resolution but that caused my fps to dip below 60hz making it impossible to capture so I had to drop my captured resolution from 1440p to 720p.

The best fix would be to uncap the occlusion culling rate.

All examples were taken at about 75fps ingame.

Example 1: Flickering at certain angles
6OF1kxb.gif

Example 2: Culling sticking under certain conditions
OZsoO61.gif

Example 3: Doors and corridors culling
EiZYfUj.gif

Example 4: Character body culling during movement
yHvDW4f.gif

Video Source:

Screenshots:
hr1XJn2.png

wCiH10t.png

jCrZC4Q.png

Edited by LemonKing
Cleaned up some text

1 hour ago, LemonKing said:

I've been looking at what may be causing this bug for the last few months. From my experience it seems whatever Occlusion Culling tech Warframe is using operates at a maximum sampling rate of 60hz. Which can cause artifacts on a system that can render above 60fps. I've tried recording these examples at full resolution but that caused my fps to dip below 60hz making it impossible to capture so I had to drop my captured resolution from 1440p to 720p.

The best fix would be to uncap the occlusion culling rate.

All examples were taken at about 75fps ingame.

What in-game settings do you run?

frustum culling (what you are actually seeing), and occlusion culling should happen on a frame by frame basis - so it could just be a straight up bug with the renderer...

6 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

What in-game settings do you run?

frustum culling (what you are actually seeing), and occlusion culling should happen on a frame by frame basis - so it could just be a straight up bug with the renderer...

Everything maxed with FPS locked at 75. My monitor is 75hz.

8 minutes ago, LemonKing said:

Everything maxed with FPS locked at 75. My monitor is 75hz.

I just tested myself in the orbiter using the glowing root thing in Example 2.

I don't think its a sample rate issue per-se (since it should be frame by frame as mentioned). I managed to repeat Example 2 with both 75fps, and 120fps.

More than likely it is just a render bug.

11 hours ago, MillbrookWest said:

I just tested myself in the orbiter using the glowing root thing in Example 2.

I don't think its a sample rate issue per-se (since it should be frame by frame as mentioned). I managed to repeat Example 2 with both 75fps, and 120fps.

More than likely it is just a render bug.

Makes sense, object is clipping at an extreme angle when it comes into view.

Edited by LemonKing

• 5 weeks later...

I seem to be having similar issues as you with stuff popping in and odd anomalies with doors like in the video. I'm not entirely sure when it started, but the game didn't always do it. I suspect it started sometime in November after an update, but it was also around the time I update my video drivers. Are you still having the issues? This is the only post I've seen with the same issues I'm having.

• 1 month later...

This culling bug is still happening. The weirdest one I have seen is a corrupted corpus enemy only having its helmet rendered as it ran into view, with the rest of the body appearing slightly later. Certain objects in the Void seem to only appear when their center is on the screen, which I assume is from the culling being too strong. I do play with max FOV so that might also make it more apparent.

My GPU is Vega 56 and I have the latest drivers, though the driver version doesn't seem to have any effect on this bug. Can't remember if this was happening with my previous GPU, GTX 1050 Ti, so if anyone from the green team could do some testing, that would be appreciated.