Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thanks for the Lotus, DE

Endless_Destruction

On 12/25/2017 at 6:16 PM, Teloch said:

This is an enigma. How something that:
- has no detailed background (all we know that this is a sentient drone somehow controlling/being a meat puppet)
- is clearly psychotic (betray own species for a vague opportunity to have adopted kids? seriously?)
- either uber-secretive or ridden of character completely (we know nothing about its likes, dislikes, morals, ideas, and visions of this character, past the fact it literally defies the protagonists)
- uses the horrible, lofty, and pretentious style of writing correspondence
- manipulates players
- is an extreme hypocrite 
can evoke ANY TOKEN OF SYMPATHY is beyond me.

Good riddance, I say. Shame it won't last for long and is not complete (yes, I'm referring the holographic abomination).

Well, when you put it that way...

From our experience with the Lotus though, it is obvious that she does care deeply about our characters. She

• Doesn't have a detailed background, yes, but from what we do know, we can say for sure that:
  • She cared enough about our characters to betray her species, which I'd say is more a sign of love than psychosis (although you might argue misplaced love because of inheriting Margulis' memories)
  • Is secretive only for our characters' benefit, or in a way that doesn't inherently harm the operators. Let's take the times she lied to us and see why she did so:
    • She lied about who she was-she is a Sentient defector. However, knowing that she is a Sentient defector doesn't help or harm our characters, because she has still made it abundantly clear that she supports us against the Sentients, and has done quite a lot to keep us safe. One only has to examine her in-mission blurbs to know that, but for further examples one can see how she supports us defying the will of Hunhow, and keeping us safe from Sentient influence by revealing our true selves:
    • She lied about who we were, never telling us that we were really physical operators instead of some vague life-force that moved between warframes. However, at least initially, this lie was for the operators' benefit. She was forced to reveal their existence after the moon came back from voidspace, directly putting our operators' bodies in harm's way. When our bodies came under threat by Sentients, the Lotus told the truth, and sent us to save our bodies. Until then, knowing what we truly were wouldn't actually help us because there was no way to retrieve our bodies, them being lost in voidspace, and no active threat to them anyway. To add to that, our operators are incredibly weak immediately after the Second Dream. We were simply pathetic meatsacks; retrieving our bodies would put us in harm's way and without a real way to defend ourselves. Only when there was no choice would that be acceptable.
  • Yep, the writing isn't that great. She is written as fairly cold and distant, but also as unyieldingly supportive. It is clear that her support goes beyond mere duty, and shows elements of love, and is unconditional.
  • Is pretty manipulative, completely agree there, but player agency is still a huge part of the game. She doesn't railroad our progress, except during quests, which are basically optional (except for the initial tutorial ones, Natah, TSD, and TWW).
  • Can't see how she is a hypocrite, just a liar.

She evokes sympathy because she has always been written as a character who is there for our characters whether they like it or not. She is written as unconditionally supportive, if cold and distant, and for me at least, it is difficult to judge her harshly because of that.

I agree with you as far as the holographic abomination goes, they could have handled that a lot better, and hearing the same damn lines over and over again but now with static is really not enjoyable. The Lotus' writing and voice acting could be better sure, but what we have shows that the Lotus as a character is ultimately on our side and loves us. Her being gone and replaced with our current placeholder made me a little sad, and while the Lotus is in dire need of character expansion, I would never go so far as to say good riddance.

She is just an annoying appearance.

Am 26.12.2017 um 02:08 schrieb Jicematoro:

When Ordis said he'd be covering for Lotus I got hyped, I LOVE Ordis... Then he didn't cover for her, and instead just simulated her old lines... Play with my heart, will you?!

I thought that too, but no, Ordis is just copying the annoyance.

On 12/24/2017 at 8:35 AM, Fatfunker said:

that feeling was the next scene where my Tenno looked lost/alone/frightened as he grasped the helmet as a child would a teddy bear.

i was lucky (or unlucky) to have gotten the clip of it :D

watch at your own peril if you have not done the quest yet......or better yet, dont watch at all and just go do the quest.

Spoiler