The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Low GPU Usage?

Considion

So I'm new, I started playing recently. I noticed that I was getting very low fps, so I monitored my pc with msi afterburner and i figured out that the game was utilizing 0% of my gpu. It would spike to 15% at random times, but essentially it was running off the integrated graphics on my cpu. 

My specs are:

i5 6600k 

RX 580 8GB Black Edition

8GB DDR4

2TB HDD

Be7onI8.png

-All my settings are optimized for performance

-I can run any other game smoothly 

-AMD Drivers are Adrenalin 17.12.1 (Up to date)

I should be getting a lot more then 32 fps. Any ideas on how to dissuade the game from latching on to my onboard graphics?

1 hour ago, White_Matter said:

It's the CPU mate. This game is heavy CPU bound and it is not well optimized to take advantage of multiple threads and cores.

It would run miraculously well on a dual core 7ghz CPU.

but i dont understand, the CPU seems to be bored as well? Don't get me wrong, ive dealt with poor optimization before. (I literally had to run single core on prototype for a while because there was a bug in the game where you couldnt progress unless doing so) but not anything on this scale. This cant be the game, there has to be some settings to change or something. I ran people by and at other threads people are getting 144+ fps with similar specs. Someone even suggested to try harder because their i5 6500 and gtx 1060 ran it at 60fps on 3440x1440. I understand being CPU bound, but really? My GPU is literally at 0%, its not using it at all. That cant be the only factor, can it? So its helpless?

2 hours ago, Considion said:

but i dont understand, the CPU seems to be bored as well? Don't get me wrong, ive dealt with poor optimization before. (I literally had to run single core on prototype for a while because there was a bug in the game where you couldnt progress unless doing so) but not anything on this scale. This cant be the game, there has to be some settings to change or something. I ran people by and at other threads people are getting 144+ fps with similar specs. Someone even suggested to try harder because their i5 6500 and gtx 1060 ran it at 60fps on 3440x1440. I understand being CPU bound, but really? My GPU is literally at 0%, its not using it at all. That cant be the only factor, can it? So its helpless?

In your case either the app you are using to monitor GPU usage is broken or the game is using your onboard graphics card for some reason. 

But then you mentioned running other games smoothly.

So I really can't say.

0-15% gpu usage is impossible even with the worst CPU hog.

Edited by White_Matter

I forget the specifics but AMD GPU's often won't be able to report correct usage because of how they handle some tasks. This isn't to say there is anything wrong with AMD because there isn't, it just means that usage isn't always going to be a sign of an issue.

Without knowing about what processes are running and other configuration details it can be hard to pinpoint issues as a lot of problems are bespoke to someones particular setup config. That said a dGPU should always supersede an iGPU as long as that is what the monitor is plugged into. If there are still doubts you could always disable the iGPU in BIOS, every motherboard is different so you're going to have to look up how to do that.

In general I would recommend running the game in 32bit via the cog in the launcher and testing the Game Mode in Windows 10 (assuming you have it), just be aware though that it is rather aggressive and can cause issues depending on background processes.